Monday, September 2, 2019

DollA-Day 2019 #245: Connie's Collection: 40's Lady, Possibly Sandra Sue

  The doll we're seeing today is one I found while going through my dolls that came from Connie's collection.


She's a really simple Dress Me doll,but she has such a beautiful 40's look about her.


She might be a Sandra Sue doll, by Richwood.


Her hair is a great 40's style 'do.





As I looked her over for her photo shoot, I began to realize that there was something weird going on with her. For one thing, she has an obviously older wig...



...but a newer,thin plastic body. The older Dress Me type dolls,(and even the more recent ones),have hard plastic bodies.


Her head looks older too. Her arms look older than her body. She's sort of a Frankenstein.
 


Her satin undies look original.



But her satin slip is only pinned in place.

You can really see the difference between her arms and her body here, her arms are hard plastic.
There are also several staple holes in her back,which would lead me to think she had had clothes stapled to her body. That's something commonly seen on old Dress me type dolls.


So I'm not sure what was going on with her.


I'd love to get a really pretty 1940's style dress on her. I think she'd look great.


She really has a distinctive look and lots of personality.



  That's today's doll. See you tomorrow for another one.

9 comments:

  1. She is a pretty doll. You are right, though, that all of her parts don't seem to match. I like her eyes. They have great expression.

    I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Luckily the shoulder pain has passed! Yay! I think I must have done too much weed whackering last week!

      Delete
  2. She might be a premium, one of those offered by a product to improve sales. I remember reading an article in Doll Reader about these. The article noted that premium dolls were sometimes cheaply made, with thin plastic bodies and clothes that were stapled together. That might explain your girl. Being cheaply made did not diminish their beauty, and indeed your doll is a pretty one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. A lot of these kinds of dolls had their clothes stapled to them,and not just the premiums. They were very cheap dolls, but I have come across many of them who are very pretty indeed. I think this girl is one of my favourites.

      Delete
  3. Of all the "Frankendollies" & dress-up dolls of this type I've seen,and I've seen quite a few,yours is premium 1st rate,grade A. She might have been a Display item/upgrade. My Granny dressed these dolls, and our (Me & my 5 sisters) dolls.I have only "replacements" for these dolls as old and played with don't always endure. They mostly come out of storage for x-mas.Your gals eyes are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These dolls are often found in bad shape,it's true. I have some from my childhood that are bald,or nearly so. My sister and I often had to replace the arms. We strung them with rubber bands,which worked well at the time, but obviously didn't age well!

      Delete
  4. She is pretty, what a shame about the staple holes though, poor girl...that must have hurt! ;)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, I don't think I have ever seen clothes stapled to a doll. I have had a few with clothes GLUED to them, but not stapled! I agree she is a pretty doll though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a dress me doll from a box of Valentine candy from when I was a kid. Her clothes are stapled on too.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.