Thursday, March 2, 2017

Doll-A-Day 2017 #61:Davey and Goliath and Family

  Yesterday I hung laundry out in the WINDY weather. When I took it down it was getting a bit chilly. Today it has snowed on and off all day! My poor daffodils don't know what's going on. here's what they looked like yesterday before the snow started.
The myrtle is coming in nicely too.

Today's doll is a whole family...and the family dog! It's the Hansen family, and their dog Goliath.

Readers of the blog may have seen my Davey and Goliath hand puppets,and heard about me watching the TV show as a kid.


The show was done in stop motion, and the characters were brought to life by Art Clokey, the creator of Gumby.

"Really?!"
These figures are made by Majestic Studios.


They came in cool packages that look like an old fashioned TV.


I actually have two Daveys,because the only way to get Davey's dad John was to get the two pack of Davey and John,and the only way to get Goliath was to get the two pack of Davey and Goliath!


The Mom and sister Sally came in another two pack.


There were actually 2 sets of Davey and Goliath. One set had Goliath standing, as seen here, and one had him sitting.


Dad John Hansen and mom Elaine Hansen are 7" tall.



Sally is just over 5" tall.


And Davey himself is 5 1/2" tall.


The figures have limited articulation, but that fits in with their look of Claymation figures.


None of the figures can sit down, but they can all move their head and arms.


 They even have arm and wrist joints.


Even Goliath can move his head. 


You can visit the official Davey and Goliath website HERE.
  See you tomorrow for another doll.

6 comments:

  1. How precious these are. I too remember watching this as a kid. Stop motion is classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the complete set of dolls/figure on ebay and am going to create a diorama w/old-fashioned doll furniture and props, should be a fun project, I also got the entire run on DVD, loved the show, still do...Nostalgic. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would look great! Period furniture and a TV! I'd love to see it when you're finished.

      Delete
  3. You can the complete set of series for about $40 at CBD.com including the specials and 90's episodes

    ReplyDelete
  4. This show, oddly enough, is how I was introduced to Art Clokey. Years ago in around 2009 or 2010, while on a trip with my Dad and Sister, we stopped at a gas station, and they had a DVD rack. One of the DVDs was the 2005 release, "Davey & Goliath Volume 1", which contained such episodes as "The Kite", "Stranded on an Island", and "Blind Man's Bluff", among others. Not long after, I got Volume 2, and was treated to more classics, such as "The Wild Goat", "The Big Apple", and "Good Neighbors" [an episode which has the worst sounding audio of the entire series, and the end credits are strangely silent. The episode itself, though, is really well-done.]. Not long after, I got VHS tapes of 3 of the holiday specials: "Christmas Lost and Found" [1965] [the 1980's release by Gospel Films Video], Happy Easter [1966] [The 1990 release by Kid's Klassics Home Video], and Halloween Who-Dun-It [1967] [The 1994 release by Heartland], as well as a plush talking Davey doll with a head I assume was made of vinyl and painted in matte acrylics. Sadly, though, I have long since lost it. I have no merchandise of the show outside of videos, other than 2 book adaptations of 2 of the episodes I first saw in Volume 1 [Blind Man's Bluff and The Kite]. In 2012, My Dad ordered the Complete Series set of the show, so now I had all the episodes [minus the uncensored cuts of the "Lost Episodes"]. I later bought VHS tapes and DVDs of a few of the uncensored episodes, getting to see Davey, Sally, and Cousin Barney play Cowboys and Indians, hearing the "politically incorrect" negative references to Native Americans in the episode "Pilgrim Boy", and the full, uncut scene of Davey skinny-dipping [the censored version cuts 2 seconds where we see the nude Davey puppet, only starting the scene when the puppet hits the water.] I'm glad all the episodes of this show are on YouTube now, as well as DVD and Amazon Prime, they are really great about getting this show distributed in ways that don't unfairly charge the customer just so the company can get more of that sweet, sweet cash.

    What I AM disappointed in, however, is the fact that the Davey & Goliath toys you reviewed here are nigh on IMPOSSIBLE to get now. They're out of print now, unlike the bendable Gumbys, and the people that sell them ask ridiculously high prices for them. Like, seriously! I just want to have toys of the TV characters I know and love, not land myself in debt!! And what's even worse is that these toys are so well done, they do too good a job at looking like the TV puppets. I am SO angry. A reasonable price for these would be between $5-8 dollars. The prices they're asking for online are RIDICULOUS, FRUSTRATING, and just... SAD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A talking Davey doll?! Now I want one!I'm sure that's priced out of this world too. Did you see the post I did on my Davey and Goliath hand puppets? I found them on two different days at Salvation Army! Being made by a church, I'm surprised they had Davey being naked. The scarcity, and the demand of items dictates the price. Dealers ask what people are willing to pay. I only saw these toys at Sam Goody. I'm not sure how widely available they were. I actually have two different Daveys, because the only way to get Dad or Goliath was in a two pack with Davey. At least they made each Davey slightly different, (different colour pants.). I have the same situation as you, only with the Sea Monkeys toys. I missed them on release, and now they cost a fortune. I looked, and there is a Davey and Goliath Family Pack, with all the (bendy) characters, including Goliath, for $70. They look pretty accurate, even with the bendy bodies. Good luck finding some. Check thrift stores and yard sales.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.