Sunday, May 14, 2017

Doll-A-Day 2017 #134: Happy Mother's Day! KayBee Special Edition Fashion Avenue Barbie 1998

  Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!

 
We're going to take a break from all the Goodwill hauls to celebrate Mother's Day. 


You'll have seen this doll before. She's Tammy World's mother, Dolly World.



But originally she was the KayBee Special Edition Fashion Avenue Barbie from 1998.

Her original outfit,which I have been known to describe as Asian Wild West Dance Hall girl.

Kaybee was a chain of toy stores. I'm not sure if any of them still exist, but all of the ones around here went out of business.


She has what is known as The Mackie Face,because it was first used on a Bob Mackie Barbie doll.



When I bought her I kept her as she was for a while, but then I needed a model for some doll clothes Emma and I were making one day.

But not this dress. it's a 'store bought', as people used to say.
She became our model. She just looked so good in everything we put on her that we started calling her The Most Beautiful Doll in the World.



Somewhere around then the kids started calling my Fern doll 'Tammy the Doll', because I said if somebody made a doll of me as a kid they should use Fern,because she had the red hair and ponytail I had as a kid.

They are wearing their coordinating fruit clothes.

So when 'Tammy' was playing with the kids' dolls, she needed a mom, and The Most Beautiful Doll in the World had a child.





We shortened her name to 'Dolly World',because the full thing was too much to say every time. That's how they became the 'World' family.(And naming the husband "Wally World" was my joke.Yeah. I'm a riot like that...)
 

 I wish she didn't have to have blue earrings all the time.
 

I've often thought about rebodying her to an articulated body. Her skin tone is so pale though that it's hard to find a body for her. Some Liv dolls and the Made to Move Asian doll come close,but aren't quite right.



Apparently I will be spending tomorrow with all of my children. That's the plan anyway.That's the best gift I can think of.


So Moms,today I hope your children are treating you to a meal,bringing you flowers, or, more importantly, spending some time with you.
  Tomorrow we're back to the old Goodwill haul,(Don't worry. It'll all be over soon.)

16 comments:

  1. KayBee Toys is dead, I'm sad to say. I was devastated when that happened, because I used to love KayBee Toys. Dolly is definitely a good contender for the most beautiful doll in the world; it's hard to knock a redhead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Barbie is still one of the favorites in my collection. She really is gorgeous, which is all the more amazing considering she was just an "ordinary" pink box doll. 1910s Barbie has the same mold and similar face paint; I have that one in my collection as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Promenade in the Park! They are practically twins. I love that one too. I love her clothes.

      Delete
  3. I have a Barbie shirt that is confusing the heck outta me because I cannot for the life of me identify it, but then I came across this post and wouldn't you know it, the Kaybee doll's dress uses the exact same fabric as the shirt I have. Which makes me think there had to be a doll or fashion pack that I got at Kaybee around 2000-ish that musta utilized leftover fabric from that doll.... I just can't find anyone else online who has the shirt I have.

    Someday I'd love to add this Kaybee doll to my collection; redheaded Barbies are so few and far between and this redhead would like to see more Barbies that look like her! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really interesting. Can you send a picture through? I'll post it here and we'll see if anybody knows anything about it. It might not have been from Kaybee. Mattel could have used the same fabric for anything.

      Delete
    2. Sorry for my late reply; I forgot to click "notify me" for replies.

      How would I send a picture through to you? Or should I just post a link here?

      Delete
    3. You could post a link. If you can;t get that to work,message me your email (I won't post it.),and I'll email you and we can exchange the picture that way and I can put the photo in this post. Whichever works.

      Delete
    4. Here's a link to a pic of the shirt:
      https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2e/8a/93/2e8a938c680f6cbcde08070b7dff26f9.jpg (Description: "Barbie qipao or cheongsam shirt - Fits 90s-and-older "TNT" body; too large for smaller-chested bodies like Teen Skipper, etc. Cerulean blue satin fabric with Asian flower pattern, lined in bright green.")

      Additionally, here's a pic of a pair of jeans that have a 50-50 chance of having been paired with the shirt that I also haven't been able to ID:
      https://i.pinimg.com/originals/85/e4/67/85e467db82d999efbc151c4255d99cf3.jpg
      (Description: "Denim Barbie jeans - fits 90s-and-older "TNT" body, but only barely (bit of a struggle to get it over the hips); fits Teen Skipper body best. Black silk belt with metal buckle; green stitching on dark denim.")

      Delete
    5. Thanks. I had a look,and that shirt looks familiar now that I see it. If you don't mind I'll use the picture in a post and ask if anybody recognizes it.

      Delete
  4. Yes, please do! Thank you so much for helping me out; this has been driving me crazy trying to figure it out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The post is up. Let's see if we get any answers!

      Delete
  5. its awesome because I travelled to USA from Asia and chanced upon KBToys. I wanted this doll very from internet and I found her in the store and brought her home with me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the private dancer little number and her sexy hair down.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.