Sunday, July 17, 2022

Review Time! Ruby Red Fashion Friends Siblies Victor

   I have been wanting a Ruby Red Fashion Friends doll for a while. I'm predictable I guess, but they are almost all sculpted by Dianna Effner. They are so cute though. Who wouldn't want one? Well, I wanted one, but the cost put me off. The Fashion Friends are pretty expensive, and then there's shipping on top of that. So when the new limited edition 'Siblies', (the slightly smaller siblings of the Fashion Friends), came out, with free shipping if you bought both, and they were supposedly Steampunky, which I like, ... I still didn't jump on it. Being someone who stopped working a long time ago, I don't earn much money. I sell something here and there, but my personal income is very limited. (Stopped working and raised children. I started out with a bad back and shoulder, and a nervous/anxiety problem, and developed a slow thyroid and fibromyalgia. I don't think I could even hold a job these days.) Also, we're still saving to go back to England. If I spend some money, there had better be a plan for getting at least some of it back. So, I struggled with my wants. I want at least the Victor doll, but he's expensive. ($99.) If I only buy him, there's shipping too. That's WAY out of the price range. If I spend the money, I am just out that much money. I considered buying both Victor and Nellie, which was still, (and even more), out of the price range, but provided free shipping, and I could always sell Nellie and make some money back. Hopefully, more than she cost, which would bring Victor's price down. They are both limited editions. Victor is an edition of only 150 dolls world wide, and Nellie is an edition of only 200. As I write this, Victor, the one I wanted to keep, has been sold out for a while. Nellie however, as luck would have it, is still available. At least I think she is. I went to the Ruby Red Fashion Friends website and neither of them showed up. I had to actually Google Nellie to get their web page where she was still listed for sale as a 'preorder'. Now they aren't preorders any more, because they started shipping in early May. So I don't know what's going on, except that Victor is sold out. ** I finally used a link on Facebook, and Nellie is now sold out. **

  Before I start I also want to apologize for some blurry pictures. The autofocus seemed to prefer focusing on the bits I wasn't trying to focus on, on the day I took most of the pictures.

  So here is Victor. He and Nellie arrived wrapped together in brown paper.


They did have separate boxes inside the paper though.



There was a brown outer box, which held the actual box the doll was in. I see that the paper was to hold the two shipping boxes together, but why not just do one shipping box and save the paper? I suppose that would mean having boxes that would fit each number of boxes someone might order. But I'm guessing most people don't order more than two dolls at a time.


The Ruby Red box is shades of purple.


Inside the box there is a half box with a cut out covering Victor's head. 


Victor comes with his head in a box, (but connected to his body!), his neck protected from the box by foam and his arms and legs in plastic. His hat is stuffed with paper, and enclosed in a plastic bag. His shirt, and pants, boots, and wig, are also in bags. So, no plastic to the box packaging, but plenty of plastic bags.






The half box, (There's no back on it.), has the front cut out, but the face of the doll is covered by a thin foam sheet.

And heeeeeere's Victor!


Look at that cute little face! He's very fair skinned and has blushy, freckle sprinkled cheeks.


He has simply sculpted ears. You might also notice that he's wearing a rubber wig cap. It's to keep his wig from slipping off, and is removeable.





Out of curiosity I removed his wig cap to see how well his wig stayed on without it. Quick tip: Use the wig cap!
 

His wig was stuffed with paper to help it maintain it's shape. It was also covered with a hair net, to keep it tidy.  

Neither the wig, nor Victor's head, has Velcro, so the wig cap is really necessary to hold it on.                                    


His wig is a beautiful natural mix of red and brown shades.





Let's look at the clothes before we get into the doll itself. First of all, he arrived wearing some white undies.

As far as his body, note that he has a belly button.

His shirt is a cream coloured cotton blend with a raised design, and an attached tie.



The shirt cuffs have Velcro, BUT those little buttons down the front really button and unbutton! I love that!


His collar closes with a hook and eye, because there's no room for a button due to the attached tie.


    His pants are great. They are short pants, what in America would have been called 'knickers' in the old days.(Not to be confused with the British 'knickers', which are underwear. Come to think of it, so are 'pants' in Britain. Oh heck. His trousers.) 

Thanks to Ken for this picture.

They have a fly, with a snap, but no zipper.


The pockets are real. He can actually put his hands, or whatever he needs to carry with him, in them.





The trousers have suspenders, (Here we go again. 'Braces', British people!), with buckles.


They are actually sewn to the waist band. so they can't be adjusted.


The pockets of his...bottom half clothing items... have inset fabric that matches his tie, hat, and boots.

Thanks to Ken for this photo too. And no. He didn't take them all.



Okay. So that hat! Steampunk involves a combination of oldy timey stuff and industrial things. So his old fashioned newsboy cap is decorated with some cogs.



That's really about the extent of the Steampunk influence.

His boots have laces that tie and untie, but those can be just for looks, because the boots zip down the back.



That makes them really easy to get on and off, especially since he's not wearing socks. I like that the shoes really tie, but on the other hand, those tiny strings are hard to tie, so the zippers have their merits.

Now we get to look at Victor, and his articulation.  The first thing you notice is that face. How cute is this guy?



  I like the natural colour of his lips. His cheeks are blushy and he has that sprinkle of freckles across his nose. And yes, he is very pale. And for those of you who say no real human is that pale, may I refer you to my daughter Ivy? 


He also has an adorable face, sculpted by the late Dianna Effner.



  Dianna Effner sculpted almost all of the Ruby Red Fashion Friends dolls to date. We'll see what happens with their dolls in the future.

  His eyes look realistic, with a mix of colours. I'm not sure if his eyes are glass or plastic, because the website doesn't say. His eyelashes are painted on. It's a shame there aren't any 'real' lashes. His eyebrows are a solid rust colour, with individual strokes painted over that.



  He has some detailing to his fingers and toes, but not much.

Typical kid. Look at that dirty hand.

He can't do 'Live long and prosper'...

...but he can wear flip flops.

Victor is strung, and articulated at the neck, shoulders, elbows, hips and knees.


  That makes him quite posable.

He can sit down, with his knees bent.

His jointed knees allow him to sit down, or pose with bent knees.

My version of Ken's picture you saw above.



Or even ride a horse.


Because his legs can move out to the sides it allows him to balance well on his booted feet, so he can stand unaided.


Another of Ken's.

His arms and legs can move out to the sides, as well as up and down and back and forth.

And he can cross his feet when standing like this.





Victor's arms swivel at the elbow too, so he can do this...

Gimme.

And this.


And as I said, with his bendable elbows, he is even able to put his hands in his pockets



Or even his suspenders. He looks all jaunty this way.

  His head can tilt to the sides, or look up or down.



There are those crossed feet again.





Like most strung dolls, there is a limit to the posability, since the stringing is tight enough to pull the limbs back from drastic poses. Still, I think Victor did a pretty good job with his poses.



 
  I was hoping that Victor would be able to share clothes or wigs with the Maru and Friends Mini Pals dolls, since they are only 1 inch apart in height. That one inch makes a major difference though. 




Victor's a very different scale, with a much smaller head and body. Nothing from the Mini Pals fits him. I didn't think they'd look so far apart in size, but in handling them both and posing them together, Victor seems tiny.
 
  Final thoughts: Victor is undeniably cute. I love his little face, his freckles, wig, his clothes, and his posability. Definitely a win. Everything about him is quality, from his vinyl to his clothing. I just wish these dolls weren't so expensive.

 For those of you wondering about the setting of  Victor's photos, most of them were taken at the Arts Castle, otherwise known as the George W. Campbell Home, in Delaware, Ohio.



The Arts Castle hosts art activities, for one thing. (Not that I have ever attended any.) The yard is home to three horses that some of you may find a bit creepy. 

These two photos are mine.


They remind me of the thestrels in Harry Potter.

More of Ken's photos.


I thought they fit in with the steampunk theme, even though they were a bit big to fit in the photos with comparatively tiny Victor, without losing him completely. It was a challenge. That's why Ken was helping with the photos,(and also to show me he could get them both in focus at the same time.)

Good job Ken.

Another good one. Show off.

Fail!

Of course, his efforts were more successful than mine.




I am really starting to hate the autofocus, but as my eyesight isn't what it used to be, it's more necessary now.

  Unfortunately I don't know the artist who made the horses. I didn't see anything telling who it was.

  Ken and I also both took sneaky behind the scenes pictures of each other.

Ken's picture of me. Yuck.

And mine of Ken. He was not as embarrassed as I was by passers by.

   And that's that. Here are some of Victor's outtakes, because I didn't need them, but he's still cute.














  See you soon for those flea market finds.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting a Siblies doll! Victor looks like he's ready to go on Broadway in a production of Newsies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I got serious "Seize the Day" vibes from looking at Victor. Glad I'm not the only one!

      Delete
    2. Yes, he definitely looks more old time 'Newsies' than steampunk. But fortunately, I like that.

      Delete
    3. THAT'S what he reminds me of!!! I love that movie. lol

      Delete
  2. He looks like he could be the son of Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe. He's very cute but I think steampunk is a bit of a stretch.
    I've somehow ended up with a ridiculous number of the larger fashion friends. I'm obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. A couple of cogs do not Steampunk make.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.