Monday, January 21, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #21: Colonial Williamsburg Betsey

  Well,Ken didn't have work yesterday because of the weather. We were up to a Level 3 Snow Emergency. The temperature was very low,and it's still at -7 degrees Fahrenheit as I write this! The insides of our windows are iced over!
  Now for today's doll. You may have seen a version of this girl before,if you saw my post on small cloth dolls like the small Colonial WIlliamsburg dolls,Junie B. Jones and Linnea. (If not, you can see that post HERE,and my post on 12" Linnea HERE.) This is the 12" version of Betsey.


She's a Colonial Williamsburg doll,as I said. She's made by Merry Makers.


I'm not sure if these dolls are only sold at Colonial Williamsburg,or if you can buy them elsewhere. Colonial Williamsburg is an attraction in Williamsburg,Virginia. It describes itself as 'the world's largest living history museum', and claims to have 'over forty sites and trades,four historic taverns and two world class art museums'. You can go to their website HERE.
  I love the faces on these dolls. 



She's all cloth,with fine yarn hair.


She's the first colonial Williamsburg doll I've found in this larger size. Since she's bigger than my tiny Betsey she has a bit more detail in her clothes.



She's wearing a slip,or 'shift', under her dress,like tiny Betsey.


But unlike tiny Betsey,she's also wearing panniers. Not this kind:





This kind:




Panniers were worn to make the hips stand out. I grow my own. (Boy,spats the other day, panniers today. You might think I'm into old timey clothes. Well I am, but that's neither here nor there.)

Hers are trying to roll up.
Her shoes socks and shoes are removable, but are stitched to her leg so they don't get lost. It's only a couple of stitches though.

Whoops.Looks like they didn't wear bloomers in the 1700's.

    That's today's doll. Come back for another doll tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. Minus seven! Oh gosh! Please tell me that's in Celsius not Fahrenheit! That's ridiculously, unimaginably cold in Celsius, but much worse in Fahrenheit! I would literally be climbing in the oven at that point!
    And yeah, ladies didn't wear underpants of any kind until the sheer fitted styles of the early 1800s. Even then they were usually crotchless and older people would complain they were unhygenic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. That's Fahrenheit. I haven't been outside, but I have to go out tomorrow. Eek! I thought there were bloomers even as far back as the 1700's. Think of the cold draft!

      Delete
    2. This is probably a stupid question but how do people function when it's that cold? How they go outside to go shopping or to work without just dying?

      Delete
    3. You just bundle up and get in with it. Cars won't start sometimes,and people have heart attacks shoveling snow. But most people get by. Heat is a big expense.

      Delete
  2. What a cutie. I have been to Williamsburg but it was many years ago and I wasn't collecting dolls then. I love the vivid colors of her dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to go there. It's the type of place we would have taken the kids on vacation when they were little. Our oldest would have loved it.

      Delete
  3. She's very detailed, and panniers too! My goodness, that's a lot of detail for a cloth doll. She's got a nice face too.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly because they are sold at,and under the name of a place known for historical recreation,there was more attention to detail.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.