Monday, August 5, 2019

Doll-ADay 2019 #216: Dustin from Stranger Things

  Today's doll is another one that brings up the question,'Doll or action figure?' Yes, it's an action figure, but the term 'action figure' was created in 1964, when Hasbro was trying to market G.I. Joe to boys. Before that they were just called dolls. So there.
  This is Dustin from "Stranger Things".


He was made by McFarlane Toys in 2018.


He's about 6 and a half inches tall.

He's obviously from season two,as 'Punk Eleven' is one of the other figures in the series.
He comes with a stand and several accessories.


He has a flashlight,a walkie talkie,his back pack, a compass,and an extra right hand.


 

His compass can be held in his right hand.  I think it's my favourite accessory. I love how tiny it is and still has so much detail.


 He can actually wear his back pack on his back.



The extra right hand allows him to hold his other accessories. The extra hand has a peg which fits in a hole in the back of his walkie talkie.


The flashlight fits in his left hand.


His left  hand can hold his flashlight or back pack strap...


The figure is a very good likeness of the actor who plays Dustin,Gaten Matarazzo III.





There has been some speculation as to whether or not this is a 3-D printed likeness. If you look very closely the face has tiny specks,just like the 3-D printed figures.



 Matarazzo famously had no front teeth in the forst season of "Stranger Things". This was because he has a condition called  Cleidocranial dysostosis,or CCD,which mostly affects the bones and teeth. His condition was written into his character,and has been mentioned several times on "Stranger Things". Matarazzo has used his fame to raise awareness of CCD. He has also fundraised for CCD Smiles,an organization that helps to cover the dental costs for those with CCD. Often oral surgery is needed for those with the condition. You can visit theCCD Facebook page HERE.

3-D or not,look at all the details in his clothes!

His corduroy pants look great!

Every wrinkle in his shirt and pants has been recreated.

His clothes are so detailed they almost look like cloth,but they're not.

This is the doll today. See you again tomorrow for another one.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, these aren't cloth?!! I would have sworn that they were real fabric, these are such good replicas. I do like these kind of dolls/action figures but I would find them frustrating if I couldn't change their clothes!!!
    I'm going to have a look at the actors website now as I've not heard of his condition.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I don't like not being able to change a doll's clothes. He is pretty amazing though.

      Delete
  2. Not being able to change a figure's clothes is what might push it into action figure territory for me. The detail is incredible, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know this doll or this series. Was it sci-fi or a scary movie? I can't tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a scary series, set in the 80's,thus the package artwork. It's on Netflix,which recently released the third season. It's a great show.

      Delete
  4. What an amazingly detailed doll. They did a great job and it really does look like the actor. Too bad the clothes aren’t real cloth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love real clothes too,but the detail would be hard to get with cloth in that small a scale.

      Delete
  5. OMG, I thought they were real clothes till I saw the cracks in his pants for his legs. That sounds wrong, but you know what I mean. He's very detailed and I love all his little accessories. I have never watched this one, but have often thought I might like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it. And if you are a child of the 80's you'll love how close they came to 80's movies. And by the way, 'cracks in his pants'! Maybe he'll grow up to be a repairman!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.