Monday, May 25, 2020

More on Gender Neutral Play

  We've recently talked about dolls, and gender, and similar subjects. Well here's another connected subject: gender neutral toys, and gender conformity in play. The other day I  read an article  called, "You Can Give a Boy a Doll, But You Can't Make Him Play With It,The logistical and ethical problems with trying to make toys gender-neutral". It mostly concerned Sweden's efforts to make all toy makers and stores advertise their products equally to boys and girls,and the efforts of certain Swedish groups to change the manner of play in schools, (Not allowing children to play with the stereotypical toys of their gender). I have a lot to say about this, but what it mainly boils down to is: let them play how they want!
  The idea of allowing kids to play with whatever toy they want,letting boys play with dolls and girls with cars,is one thing. It's great. But to take the further step of actually preventing kids from playing with toys because they are the gender stereotype is also wrong. One school in Sweden actually got rid of toy cars because: "boys "gender-coded" them and ascribed the cars higher status than other toys". Another school even got rid of free playtime because "when children play freely 'stereotypical gender patterns are born and cemented." For heaven's sake! If a girl wants to play with dolls, or a boy wants to play with cars,that's just as okay as a girl playing with cars and a boy playing with dolls. It should be a child's choice. Not allowing a child to play as they like, with the toys they prefer is bound to cause problems that will be the subject of future articles!
  According to the article,"Boys and girls are different...They are different, and nothing short of radical and sustained behavior modification could significantly change their elemental play preferences.". In other words,even when given non gender stereotyped toys to play with,boys and girls still often tend to play with them in the way they would have played with the stereotypical ones.  Examples from the article include boys catapulting carriages and a girl putting a toy train to bed. This is obviously not always the case. Girls obviously often play with typically 'male' toys, and boys play in toy kitchens and take fatherly care of dolls. When I was a kid I had dolls, cars, a train,and all sorts of toys. I took motherly care of my dolls, but when I got outside with my tractor and manure spreader, I  farmed, and when I took my cars out I made roads in the dirt and drove my cars around. My cars were dirty and my dolls were so played with that their hair wore off. When I bought a  Chatty Cathy and Chatty Baby from a lady at a yard sale a few years ago, they were mint, because, as she and her mother explained, she preferred her cars and trucks. I played with both, and I played with them the way each sex would stereotypically play with them. Keep in mind that I grew up with only my sister to play with, and knew no other kids but my sister, and a couple of sets of cousins until I started school. I played as easily with my boy cousins as I did with my girl cousins...maybe easier. At least, I played with them more, because my only two female cousins we played with were older, and chose to play with my sister instead of me. My sister didn't play much at all. Not only is she six years older than I am, but she never really 'played' to begin with. So I had no concept of how I was 'supposed' to play as a girl, or what I was and wasn't 'supposed' to play with. The story in the article, about a little girl being given a train, and putting it to bed like a doll, doesn't mirror my story. When I was a kid I wanted a train, with loads of track that I could run all around the house, and under beds, like in the movies. What I got was a nice Marx train with such a tiny oval track that the train nearly met itself coming and going. I was very disappointed. My point is, I didn't play with my 'boy' toys the way a girl is 'supposed to'. So there goes the theory that no matter what you give a kid they will still always play as their gender might suggest.  
  It's not to be attributed to their broad mindedness that my parents bought me both 'girl' and 'boy' toys. I'm sure my mom would have been happy if I had been a girly girl who was happy to wear dresses and play only with 'girl' toys. My dad encouraged my 'Tomboy' behavior, probably because he could relate to it better. I'm not sure why Mom went with it. She always made it very clear that she had wanted a boy, but she wanted her girls to be curly haired beauties with ladylike manners. She took little interest in our toys once we had them. (I can still reel off the names of most of my kid's toys, but I don't think Mom ever even knew any of mine. I'm sure Dad didn't. He just referred to any doll or stuffed animal as 'them Damn monkeys'.) Maybe she just didn't care what we played with. When I had kids I bought them what they wanted when they were old enough to ask for particular toys. (Before that I started them off with dolls, building toys like Duplos,and the usual puzzles and activity toys that encourage learning.) Thus they all had cars, dolls, Legos, etc.,(and LOADS of books),to the extent that they were interested in them.
  The article is interesting. You can read it by going to the link above. I have to say, I really feel sorry for those Swedish kids.

18 comments:

  1. I have so many thoughts about this whole thing, and they're all furious.
    I hate the whole "gendered" toy thing, so much. My sister and I weren't allowed to have balls, cars, Lego, chemistry sets, and so many other things we wanted because we were girls.
    When I had kids my first rule was "If genitals aren't involved, you can't say it's for boys or girls. If genitals are involved, it's definitely not for kids." My husband was ok with that until he realised that meant his son could have dolls if he wanted. But he came around in the end.
    It drives me nuts that people still think it's ok to judge boys for doing ballet or playing with dolls, especially since nowadays you'd probably get crucified for suggesting girls shouldn't play with cars or Lego.
    Too many people have warned me my boy will "turn out funny" if I let him play with dolls which is just baffling. If playing with a doll as a toddler "turned someone gay", then they weren't bloody straight to start with. And every boy on earth with older sisters would probably be gay. Such a crock.
    Yet while it's common to see a little girl choosing a car in the toy section, boys still get steered away from the "girl" toys. Surely that sends an unconscious message to kids that "girl" toys are somehow inferior to "boy" toys.
    Ugh. They're kids. Let them just play and worry about conforming once they're old enough to decide if they want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think it also sends the message to boys that there is something 'wrong' with them if they want to play with dolls.
      I can't believe you weren't allowed to have balls,cars, or Legos! Balls?! Legos are really good for kids' math skills and lateral thinking. Of course, when I googled 'benefits of playing with Legos I found an article called 'How Can Playing With Lego Benefit Your SONS Education'!

      Delete
    2. It's even crazier, because this was the 1980s, not a million years ago. I remember we got bikes, because we begged so much. But we weren't allowed to ride them where anyone could see us, or on the lawn, which effectively meant we just couldn't ride them.

      Delete
    3. Holy cow! Not even bikes?! Did you parents ever change their minds?

      Delete
    4. I enjoy making - and playing with - dollhouses. I used to have HUGE house we called Big Blue, and my husband was forever helping me rewire the lights. His sister's other grandfather gave her a dollhouse one year, and then for our dad's 75 birthday my sister and I bashed a Story Book Cottage kit and turned it into a church for our favorite member of the clergy. There's limit to the bottles of wine and pairs of socks you can give a guy who doesn't smoke or wear neckties.

      So - it looks as if every man, woman and child in the family has a house but Matthew. I checked with our daughter and her husband, dragged out an old kit, and set about making the boy a house of his own. One of my son-in-law's male friends had a fit, flapping his hands and talking in a sing-song voice about the fact that Matthew played with a dollhouse. Son-in-law stopped him short by asking "Where's he going to live when he grows up? In a barn?"

      The only funny remark we ever got was when one of their neighbors allowed as how it was "a strange world when your son's dollhouse is nicer than my daughter's." Now, I am refurbishing it for M's own little boy. And yes, Matthew, I'll replace all of the lights.

      Delete
    5. Aw! That's a great story! I think that's beautiful that you have made all those houses for the kids as they came along. It's a tradition now! Those will surely get passed down in the family. I had a couple of looks at your blog, following the story you mentioned. Matthew's son is a lucky little guy. Have you read the kid's book "The Dollhouse Caper"? It's about a family of boys and their dollhouse,and what happens when the dolls have to warn them of a crime about to be committed. I'll do a post on it at some point.

      Delete
  2. I so agree with you. Many people treat girls and boys differently and reward them for "appropriate" gender behavior. Then when children behave in ways that are stereotypical, people say "see, girls and boys are different." Well, duh, if you reward they for behaving in certain ways then yes they will appear different.

    And notice that folks want to call GI Joes "action figures." Hey, they are dolls, just like Wonder Woman figures are dolls.

    What is always interesting to me is that folks will tolerate what is perceived as "male behavior" from girls more easily than they will tolerate what is perceived as "female behavior" from boys. A girl could put on daddy's hat and that would be cute. If a boy put on mother's high heels, that would be scandalous.

    When we stay locked into "women should only do these things" and "men must always be manly (whatever that means)" we are passing along gender paranoia to our children. That guarantees that we all lose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well said. Men have always been afraid of not being 'manly' enough. Women don't worry about being 'womanly' enough. I wonder why that is?
      The term 'action figure' was coined to market G.I. Joe to boys, I believe. Of course, my sister and I had G.I. Joes too! Ken had the British equivalent,Action Man,only his Action Man didn't fight battles: he cooked instead! Even as a kid Ken was all about food!

      Delete
  3. I agree. Everything has to be scrutinized these days. just let the poor kids play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this reminds me of a story..a woman I worked with had a son..her only child and she was so envious of the women who had girls she would occasionally buy her son a toy that wasnt gender specific...like a dollhouse..her son turned it on its side and played war with it..barbie wasnt played with and gi joe was his most loved toy. the moral is let a kid be a kid..I personally like hot wheels just because I watched the show and wanted the lead charactor to be my boyfriend...i was 7 or 8 at the time and didnt even know what a bf was but it was fun to have to car and play with it...plus my mom had 5 kids if that kept me out of her hair so be it. I feel sorry for the swedish kids but I have a feeling this will backfire on them...kids have imaginatiion :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect they will end up with adults with emotional and psychological problems.

      Delete
  5. I totally agree with you Tam. Play should be child led not adult led. Everyone has certain interests they are born with and play lets them explore those interests. And these interests don’t always fall under stereotypes. I work as a substitute teacher and when I sub in preschool classrooms I enjoy seeing boys and girls playing together regardless of whether they are playing blocks and cars together or house/kitchen and dollhouse together. All toys can help children use their imagination - regardless of what gender it was “intended for”.

    My son loved cars and building toys when he was older. But he also loved all his stuffed animals. He gave them names and personalities and created elaborate imaginary worlds for them. He did have a few baby dolls, but didn’t show much interest, so I didn’t push them. When my daughter was born 7 yrs later, we only had my sons old toys at first. She did play with his blocks, Legos, and cars. She was also given dolls and “girly” toys which she did play with. But as she got older it became evident that her interests lay in art, writing, and animals and that’s what she spends her time doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always wonderful when someone finds their love. When a child has an intense interest in something,like your daughter with artistic things and animals it should be encouraged. That might turn out to be their calling in life.Your daughter might become the next Jane Goodall,or John J. Audubon.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read the article yet but will do so in a moment. I was encouraged to just have fun as a child and although I'm a doll collector now, back then I wasn't that interested in dolls although I did have some. I loved to play on my bike, build camps and climb trees. Although my mum and dad let me have the toys I asked for, my mum tended to want me to be a bit more ladylike, sadly that is not something that ever happened, not even now am I that ladylike to be honest! When my son was born he had all sorts of toys including Action Man (although it was me who played with Action Man more to be honest!) but if he'd have asked for a doll then he would have got a doll as I agree with why shouldn't boys play with what are generally considered to be 'girls toys' and vice versa.
    Well you know my views on this already Tam so I will leave it at that :) but as usual a very interesting post, thank you!
    Big hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to work in different preschools. I never saw any kids play with dolls as if they were cars, trains as if they were dolls, or anything like that. Kids were not disencouraged in using their imagination to find new uses for things (i.e. build with empty boxes, use corks in games, use bottles as bowling pins...). I saw most kids choose to play with most toys, and they played the intended ways. Kids of both genders chose to play with cars, balls, dolls, trains, Lego, pirate ships, tumbling and jumping in the pillow room, books, farm animals, dinosaurs, wild animals, board games, building blocks, drawing and colouring, and the list goes on and on.

    I agree that it is important not to label toys and interests as only for boys or only for girls. It is important to encourage kids to play with what they want, and not make them feel bad for their choises (unless their behaviour hurts them or others in any way). If the boys never see boys in commercials play with dolls, toy kitchen and other "girl toys" and girls never see girls in commercials play with cars, trains, Lego (the earliest Lego ads had both boys and girls in them) and other "boy toys," they might resist their urge to play with these toys. Making kids ashamed about their preferences is not good. I remember a girl who always tried to shame others: "You cannot play with that, that is a girl toy!" "Pink is a girl colour." "Adults cannot use a kick bike!" and I am still thinking: "What is wrong with her parents? Where does she get this?"

    It is really bad if parents seem to be caught up in gender roles and make their kids feel ashamed or inclined to shame others. But it is equally bad to get rid of certain toys because they enourage the "wrong" type of play. There are some differences between the genders, in general. But a boy should not be steared away from playing quietly with dolls just because some research says that most boys like to use hammer and nails and create things. A girl should not be steared away from wrestling on the lawn with her friend just because research says that girls in general like nurturing play. Generalization is wrong. Shaming is wrong. Enable kids to play with what ever they would like to. And make sure everyone knows that even kids who prefer to play house might like wrestling, climbing, hammering, colouring, using slides, weaving, building sand castles, wallowing in the mud, reading, riding bikes, making Barbie kids parachute, bulldosing in the sandpit and picking flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't agree more. I mean, a kid's play is spontaneous, natural and often results from a given situation. For instance, my two girls love to play with Barbie, My little Pony, play kitchen and such, but sometimes they want to help daddy fix something, so they need tools. They have a tool box and play tools because that's safe and why on Earth should it be inappropriate for a woman to be able to fix something around a house instead of just counting on a man?
    They also have some toy cars - shouldn't they be able to drive when they grow up? They play with their train and tracks as much as any boy, yet they love to wear pretty dresses and tiaras and pretend they're princesses.
    When I was little, I loved Barbie, but I also wanted to have lego and not just any lego - the Pirates lego! I got some sets and they didn't make me any less a woman that I would have turned out playing only with dolls. So now my girls have lots of lego and not only the pink ones. In their lego castle there is a princess and a skeleton in a closet :)
    That goes the other way round - why shouldn't a boy have a play kitchen? Is it so abnormal for a man to cook? And playing with dolls prepares him in some way to be a father when he grows up. Modifying and controlling a kid's play is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone has said it way better than I can and you already know my son had toys. Not boy toys and girl toys, but toys. As for dolls - where are boys going to learn to be good fathers?

    I also encouraged him to talk about his emotions, etc. But respected when he DIDN'T want to as well. I am sure there are men that would have something to say about that. But what I have is a compassionate, respectful young man that is secure in himself. Its unfortunate he's also autistic and bipolar, but they don't define him.

    My favorite memory is of him on his headset, playing video games with his friends. I heard, "Awww Mom, Butter is doing something so cute!" and then into his headset, "Kill them all, bathe the fields with blood!". We still laugh at that. Butter was his first rabbit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.