Saturday, September 5, 2020

Doll Book of the Month Club: The Dollhouse Caper

  Okay. This post didn't go on either, so it's now 4 days late. Let's get caught  up.
  This month's Book Club entry is The Dollhouse Caper, by Jean S O'Connell.

The Dollhouse Caper by Jean S. O'Connell

Our copy has no dust jacket, and has only a plain black cover. So I'm showing you a stock photo.
  The book tells the story of two families: a human one, and a doll one. The human family owns a dollhouse, which only comes down for use at Christmas time every year.


  The family has three sons, who have always loved when the dollhouse is brought out for the year. This year though, the oldest son feels he's too old for dolls. The middle son follows the oldest's lead. The youngest son still loves playing with the dollhouse, (Unfortunately for the dollhouse family, that frequently involves sticking Dollhouse Dad's head in the toilet and leaving him there.),but the dollhouse family begins to fear what will happen when even the youngest gets 'too old' for the dollhouse.
  The family is planning a ski trip. The house will be deserted while they are gone. Only the dollhouse family know that crooks are watching the house,waiting for the family to leave, so they can rob it.


The dolls have to protect their home. They try desperately to think of a way they can warn the family of what is about to happen. Obviously, being dolls, they can't talk to the family.
  Do the dolls manage to save the day? Will their place in the home be secured? It's an exciting and satisfying ending. But I'll leave the details for you to read yourselves.
  I read this to my kids when they were little. I think we may even have read it twice. The recommendation is for kids ages 9-12,or grades 4-6. It's a short chapter book, and fairly easy to read.
   The illustrations are by Erik Blegvad, who illustrated some of my favourite kids' books,such as "The Swing in the Summerhouse",  He also illustrated another book I like, "The Finches Fabulous Furnace", as well as  "Bedknob and Broomstick" and the less common version of "The Borrowers". I like his illustrations. They always seem homey and comfortable. Maybe that's just because I read so many books as a kid that had his illustrations.
  That's the book for this month. I'll be back soon with a review of the latest from Maru and Friends.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great ,another to search up for later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would like this book. I do like "doll mysteries." You have the best suggestions for books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another book to look for. lol I noticed the baby. Can you imagine spending decades as a dollhouse baby?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.