Thursday, February 11, 2021

More Lame Excuses, and Elastigirl

   I know you haven't heard much from me lately, but it really is a pain having to use someone else's computer. Apart from having to use it at it's owner's convenience, Ken's computer is so slow, and pretty grungy. Now I'm having problems with my camera too. I don't know if it's the camera, or the memory card, but I'll take pictures, and even see them on the camera, and when I try to take them off the card and put them on the computer to use, they just aren't there. It's been really frustrating. I lost a whole load of unboxing pictures for my upcoming review. You can't redo those. I've had to take the pictures for this post three times! The unboxing ones disappeared. I have also been using my time repairing things for Ken and the kids, like clothes, and shopping bags, and Emma's purse. I have been finishing some miniature Tiffany lamps I started ages ago. I've been working on something else I'll be showing you in an upcoming post. It's Ken's 'birthday month', so he's had me out eating somewhere several times lately. We've been to Emma's a couple of times, and whenever she's not working on school work, we've been hanging out with Ivy. She goes back to college on Sunday, and I am going to miss her terribly.

  Now, finally, here it is: the post none of you asked for!

  I did show you the "Incredibles 2" Elastigirl doll I got for Christmas from my sister. But today you're going to hear what I like and don't like about her.

  First, the 'likes'. She has a beautiful glowy, realistic 'skin'. 


The vinyl her face is made of really is nice. She is also a fairly accurate sculpt of the character as she appears in the movies.  Her hair  is a nice realistic blend of colours and shades. 


It's not very fluffy, because, like most dolls these days, it's full of gunk to make sure it doesn't move. I'm fairly sure that could be washed out and her hair would fluff up.

  Her outfit is pretty movie accurate, except for the shininess.


The red outfit wasn't shiny. The gray outfit she got later in the second movie, ("The Incredibles 2".), was shiny. There is also a doll like this one that came in the gray outfit.

  And my last 'like': she's posable. Oddly enough, that's also one of my dislikes. I love that they made her posable. According to the box, she is 'fully posable for incredible action'. 

('Incredible' action. Get it?)

The problem is, not so much. Oh, she's quite posable. Don't get me wrong. She's jointed at the neck, shoulders, elbows, wrist, hips, and knees. She can do lots of cool poses.

...And also this one.




When you get tired of all that superhero stuff.

  The disappointment comes when you realize she's not as posable as she could be.  The problem doesn't seem to fully be her jointing, (although I would have liked to have seen an ankle joint, and a waist joint.). The problem seems to be that her suit is too stiff. She can do some poses, and not hold them, because the suit forces things out. What's the point of making an amazingly jointed doll, and putting it in a suit that limits their posability?

  Another thing I have an issue with is her mask. It's a nice little mask, and they tried to make it movie accurate by not having a strap or anything to hold it on.  The problem is, they make it stay on her face by making the back sticky.


  The front is firm plastic, and the back is soft spongy stuff covered in sticky stuff. The whole mask is way too thick for realism, but the worst part is the sticky stuff. It doesn't stay stuck! The mask doesn't conform to the shape of her face very well, so you can't get a good stick. The mask drops off in a second.



Kids are definitely going to lose this mask.


  Other than those things, she has a removable outfit, with Velcro down the back. The thing is, you can't actually remove it because the sleeves won't fit over her hands. Her shoes come off and you might be able to get the feet through the clothes, but no way are those hands going through. I thought maybe the hands might be removable, like Monster High dolls. But no.

  Overall she's a nice doll. Kids probably won't have as much of an issue with the posability as I did.

  Next time we'll have a look at what I've been keeping my hands busy with while just watching TV with Ivy.


 

9 comments:

  1. Awww, she's cute! I like that vinyl too. Yes, definitely wash her hair. If you don't that crap will leak all over her face and discolor with time. I'm learning that the hard way with my Monster High dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I haven't had that happen or heard about that yet. Great. I see a lot of hair washing in my future!

      Delete
  2. Hey she looks really cute! I get what you mean about the clothing being too tight. I find that the pants pop off or open on dolls when they try to sit down in most situations. Go figure. And I'm surprised also that her hands aren't removable. If you go to the trouble of having removable clothing and all, why not design the hands to accomodate. But she is pretty darned cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much too tight as too stiff. It's so stiff it forces the limbs sraight, or at least straighter.

      Delete
  3. I picked up Elastigirl and Violet a while back when they showed up at one of my local discount stores. Later I purchased Edna and recently I found Dash and Jack Jack at a different discount store. They are all super cute and look fairly movie accurate. Edna and the two boys have almost no articulation. I think their legs bend at the hips so they can sit down and that’s it. Violet’s articulation is the same as Elastigirl but I think her outfit is even tighter because I can’t bend her knees very much - and the vinyl of her outfit is already starting to crack at the knee from me trying to bend it. My Elastigirl still has her mask on, but Violet’s seems to be lost. Edna has really cool glasses that magnify her eyes. This is a great group of dolls - but I agree with you - they could have been even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw all those at Ollie's, a discount store. I was very tempted by the Violet and the Edna. I have the larger, boxed Edna, so I figured I really didn't need another one. I had a hard time deciding between Violet and Elastigirl though. It was solved for me when my sister offered to buy me one of the two Elastigirls for Christmas and they didn't have Violet at her Ollie's.

      Delete
  4. Very attractive doll, I love Holly Hunter as an actress and would love to see her as a doll. I have some Incredibles kids meal toys and I love their personality. Thank you for sharing this doll. I feel for you w/ the camera..lost 1500 pics on a phone last year.Thankfully my daughters wedding was put on my hubbys lap top.Hope you can sort out lost pics.Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky about those wedding pictures! That kind of thing is irreplaceable. I was lucky to get most of my photos off my computer before it died the last time. Luckily I haven't lost any photos of sentimental value off this camera.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I am still gathering dolls and don't have any movie ones at present. I would likely start with Harry Potter before this movie, but that's disappointing you can't take advantage of her poseability because of her clothes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.