Saturday, April 2, 2022

Review Time! Totally Tiny Chinese Food Set

  Holy cow! Here we are in April already, and today we're having MORE SNOW! It isn't sticking, but it is falling. It's 37 degrees Fahrenheit, and due to get down to 27 tonight! Ken and I took Ivy to eat at a Turkish restaurant we like on Wednesday, and it was 81! It didn't feel that hot, but it felt very Spring like. The Turkish restaurant had really good vegetarian moussaka. But my 'birthday month' is over now, so I have to stop eating things I shouldn't and get back to normal. 

  And now, I want to point out something I bought recently that some of you might be interested in.

  I got this set at Five Below. It's a Totally Tiny set that features 1/6 scale Chinese food.

Totally Tiny has been around for a while, but I just got this.

There are several food pieces, a full take out box...



... a bottle of soy sauce...




... and a pair of chopsticks.

  The chopsticks are all one piece.


  That annoys me as an adult, and would have annoyed me as a kid, but then, that's me. My sister would have cut them apart for me. (You may recall she was obsessed with using that little razor blade that came out of a pencil sharpener.) I suppose them being stuck together like that does make it possible to pick the little foods up with them. At least, that's what the picture on the back of the package wants you to think.


The orange slices are especially realistic.

Not so much this side.

But this side.


There are some steamed dumplings.


Also some fortune cookies.


The egg rolls are probably the least realistic pieces.

At least, I think they're egg rolls.

The weird thing about these sets is, they contain a non edible 'ooze' topping. It's touted on the front of the package as a "surprise slimy ooze topping!" The exciting thing is supposed to be the mystery as to which colour you'll get. Why would I want any colour? It seems a little dangerous because you're dealing with a fake food set, and you're putting something non edible and oozy in it. I know the kids aren't supposed to eat the food either, but... I supposed the food pieces are small enough that kids small enough to possibly think of eating them aren't supposed to play with them anyway. Still. It also doesn't help that the ooze topping comes in a little sachet like you get ketchup, or Chinese mustard or soy sauce in at restaurants.


  This stuff is bound to make a mess too. If I was buying this set for my kids, I'd revoke the ooze.  

  All in all these are pretty neat little sets. I think the Five Below price is more what I would pay for them, than the regular store prices.

There were two other sets the day I bought this one. They also had the French Breakfast set, and, I think, the Pizza Party set. There are a lot of other sets, but this is what the Five Below I went to had.

  That's it. See you later!


6 comments:

  1. Hey, cool! Would Barbie be able to use these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My only objection to the take out box is it looks like its full of dog food. lol The little pieces are nice, but yeah, if those are egg rolls they missed the mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on both counts! I hadn't thought of dog food though!

      Delete
  3. That sounds so neat, and so very weird at the same time. I would have loved that as a kid. I also would have been annoyed at the chop sticks. I would have wanted to pull them apart! The ooze is what I find so weird. It honestly puts me in mind of an old science experiment I did once in school, involving putting sauerkraut mixed with other things in the freezer. I don't quite remember now what the point was. I only remember that when I took it out of the freezer and let it thaw, it resembled a package of what seemed to be slime, not to mention, it smelled awful! :D I don't remember turning in the report! I think the only reason that part stuck with me was because it felt disgusting! The only other thing I clearly recall is throwing it away in a hurry! lol

    I'm doing good, thanks for your concern. I went on vacation and when I returned, I'd completely forgotten to check my emails again. I'd seen that you'd left a comment just before I'd left, but the laptop I take with me is just about slower than a snail and so I couldn't respond. I actually just remembered because I came across your website while doing another search. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another realist like myself! Of course, I suppose the chopsticks would be impossible to 'use' had they been separate. Still! The sauerkraut thing sounds disgusting. (And weird. Why would freezing it make it get like that?!) Makes me think of when I was a kid, and I'd leave a pan full of mud 'cooking' until the next time I played mud cooking. It was mud mixed with grass, and when I dumped the pan the next time so I could play again, it smelled so gross!
      Good to know that you're still going strong. Did you ever figure out what doll that really realistic Yellow Ranger was? I still have the picture saved on my computer so I can do an image search of I figure out how! Ken has asked me what kind of device or app you use to 'read' things on the computer. I know there is some kind of voice thing you can use, but explain it, if you will.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.