Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Betsy From the Doll Show

   Let's try this again. You don't know this, but I tried to do this post before. I set all the pictures to loading, and then, because it takes ages, I went about doing some other stuff. When I came back the pictures were all loaded, so I 'selected' all the pictures and clicked to load them onto the post. Of course, what I didn't realize  was that while I  was gone the laptop had gone offline. So the pictures didn't show up. It said 'update failed'. I signed back on, but the pictures still weren't showing up, so I assumed I would have to do everything all over again. At that point it was late, my leg hurt, and I was tired, so I gave up for the night. I kept putting off doing it again because it frustrated me. When I did come back to it, I found that the pictures had loaded after all, and were here all the time!

  So I'm doing this today, instead of being out on Fun Day with Ken, for two reasons. One: last night climbing into our tall bed, I popped something in my bad leg. It was excruciating, and it hurts REALLY badly today. I'm staying off it as much as possible, not least of all because moving it hurts so much. The other reason we're home today is that we have finally been planning our trip to England, but Ken discovered a couple of days ago that he can't find his passport. The last time we used our passports was five years ago, when we went to Canada for our anniversary. (We went to Canada on our first date. That's a story and a half, which you might have read in THIS POST.) When we came back I wanted to put our passports in the vanity, where I keep our birth certificates, social security cards, and my passport. I made the mistake of saying, "Let me put yours in here too so it doesn't get lost." Ken was very indignant. How dare I insinuate that he couldn't keep track of his own passport! He wouldn't lose it! So he refused, and found his own storage place for his passport. Five years later we are trying to plan this trip, and he wanted to get the names exactly right on the tickets, because the last time his sister booked the flight and got something slightly different in the names, and they weren't going to let us fly. She had to pay extra to change the name. (She was treating us to the trip.) So he wants my passport, which I got out of the vanity a couple of weeks ago and laid up in the bedroom with some other things I don't want to forget to take. He then proceeded to try to find his passport, and couldn't.  He's torn the house apart looking, and can't find it. I have been vindicated. So now he won't book the trip because he's afraid of getting the name wrong and not being able to use the tickets. I told him, it's almost certainly his full name, and just book it and find his passport later. It hasn't left the house. We'll see.+

  Anyway, today what we're really here for is to look at this doll I got at the doll show recently. Remember I said I went to two doll shows in the space of a week. I went to one on a Sunday, by myself, and the second one I went to the next Saturday, with my sister. We went to the same show last year and it was all really expensive fashion dolls, and just basically things I either couldn't afford or didn't want. So I wasn't crazy about going, but my sister had enjoyed it and wanted to go again.  So we went. But this time I found quite a few things I wanted and could even afford. I even won a door prize! Again! This time it was $25 to spend at the show. Before entering the main sales room, where I placed my entry in the box to win the door prize,  there were a bunch of tables out in the hallway to shop. One table belonged to a guy who knew nothing about dolls, but who said he had 'bought a collection from my buddy". From his table I got this girl.


She's a pre-teen Betsy McCall. You may have seen my other one HERE. This one has a bit of an eye problem, and a haircut. You'll notice in the first few pictures that her one eye  is not sitting in the socket properly. I managed to get it fixed though, and now it stays in place. You can see that in the rest of the pictures.

This is pre-eye fix. She also needs the edges of her eyelashes touched up, but that's no big deal.

That eye was twisted in the socket, and the metal socket was showing at the bottom.


This looks really bad. I kept shoving the metal part down, and it looked fine, but came right back up in no time.

We're getting there!

And fixed!


The eyes on these dolls look a little alien anyway. I had been shoving it so much it started to go sideways. Then I shoved it another direction and it popped into place. I wish I could do that with my leg!


   This one has darker hair than the other one I got. It's a very pretty auburn colour. 


  I did a little part reweaving on her, and her hair is a bit choppy at the back, but it doesn't show much.


  When I got her she was wearing a dress belonging to the Kellogg's Calico Lassie, or  Elly May Clampett doll. I had this dress from some other stuff I bought and it has been waiting for someone to wear it. I think it suits her colouring pretty well. It matches her lips.


It was a windy day at the park!



Ken and I have been going through that park often, to see if we can see any animals. The day I took these pictures we saw some deer, some vultures, and a heron.


She almost looks photoshopped into this picture, but she's not.



This one kind of looks photoshopped too.



  When I went into the woods to take these pictures, so I could get the water in the background, (There's a pond or part of the reservoir back there somewhere.), I found some hickory nuts. Ken helped me and we picked up a bag full. Well, half a bag.


  Then I started taking her picture on this rock, and found that I had lost one of her shoes. (They aren't actually her shoes. I think they're Ginny shoes. They were straight pinned onto her feet!) They don't fit well, but they matched her dress.



I had to back track to where I entered the woods, and I found them. 



  She's not very posable, just neck, shoulders and hips, but I like her.



Especially now that I got her eye fixed.



Next time I'll show you what else I got and tell you what I did with my door prize money. See you then.

4 comments:

  1. I have not been commenting, but I have been reading your posts. A lot going on here at the house medically, so I am doing good to read. lol But I am enjoying your posts and looking forward to the next one. Sorry your leg is giving you trouble again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are all right. Thanks for commenting. Get better soon!

      Delete
    2. Its my Mom actually and they sent her to ICU yesterday, but thanks for the get well! I am worried of course, but she seems to be more stable there. She's an interesting doll btw, but why does it seem like every little girl cut her hair??? lol

      Delete
    3. Well good wished to your mom. Yes, it does seem that Betsy McCall attracted haircuts!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.