Friday, December 16, 2022

The Grand Tour AKA The Trip From Hell, Part 1

  We arrived home the day before Thanksgiving. That had been the plan, because we've never missed a Thanksgiving with the kids. That made our trip a total of 5 weeks. In that 5 weeks, everything that could go wrong seemed to do so. Not that we didn't have a good trip. I really shouldn't call it the trip from Hell, because we had a good time overall, and most of the bad things that happened didn't happen 'to' us!

  I'll start at the beginning. I remembered everything I was supposed to take, except I couldn't find the gifts I was going to take to mail to my Flickr friend. That made me feel bad, but if I really want to I can mail them when I do find them. Of course, then she'd have to pay a huge duty on them. I found that out before I left. I had something to take over for one of my readers, and she told me that if I mailed it from England she would have duty to pay, whereas if I mailed it from the EU she wouldn't have to pay duty. So it travelled with us to Germany and Belgium, where it remained with my friend for mailing. Anyway, we set off with two carefully packed 50 pound cases full of gifts for friends and relatives. Due to postal fees and duty charges we hadn't mailed anything to them for years. So I had a gift for everybody. The cases were packed and weighed and reweighed, and everything worked out just right. Emma drove us to the airport, and we made our plane in plenty of time. Of course, when we reached New York, we had to change planes, and airlines...and airports. That meant hauling our giant bags around with us through the airport, and onto a van, which drove us to another airport, where we sat around waiting for our flight to Iceland. The change of airlines was because Iceland Air doesn't fly inside the U.S.. 

  We had an uneventful flight, and arrived in Iceland at about 6 o'clock in the morning. In the airport I spotted a whole display of Tin Tin figures and plush 'Snowy' dogs..


  I had in mind to find a Tin Tin figure while we were on this trip, but I didn't want to pay airport prices. I figured I'd wait and see what I could find in the real world before I paid the airport price for one of these. (I also wanted a more playable figure, without a base.) I thought the same thing about the 'Cats Rule the Town' Reykjavik t-shirt I liked for Emma.(There really are cats all over Reykjavik's town center. They belong to people. They have collars on and everything. They just wander around, peeking into the shops because they all had their doors open.)

  I also saw these kids in the airport shop that was selling the Tin Tins.


 


  Iceland is all about wool, so the knitted dolls make sense.

We caught the shuttle which took us on the one hour trip to the bus station in Reykjavik, where, we had been told, our accommodation was a five minute walk away.  The problem was, it was then 7 o'clock in the morning, the sun barely up, and we weren't allowed to check in to our accommodation until 4PM. With two carry on bags, a camera bag back pack, a large purse type bag with all my junk in it, and those two 50 pound cases. There was no way we were going to roll all that around Reykjavik until 4PM. So we paid far too much and checked the two huge bags at the bus station. That was all that would fit. That left us to roll the carry on bags around Reykjavik for hours. My leg was still bothering me. I felt sick. It was cold, and it rained most of the day. But I found out that Icelandic pancakes, and yogurt are delicious. 

Skyr is yogurt.


Pancakes with jam and cream.

Pancakes with yogurt and caramel sauce.

If you're ever in Reykjavik, have the pancakes with yogurt and caramel sauce and the pancakes with jam and cream, at the Café Loki, on a corner across the street from the famous Hallgrimskirkja church.

Café Loki is the beige coloured building left of center, and it has the name on it.

Hallgrimskirkja church at night. The lights change colour. We saw it white, purple, and red.

  Right away we found that our phones didn't have service. They were supposed to, but they didn't. I had kindly been given a nice phone by a friend of Emma's before we left, and it proved invaluable. It didn't have phone service in Iceland, but it picked up the internet almost everywhere, so I could message people, keep the kids up to date on what we were doing, and it takes very nice pictures...something we would come to appreciate, even though we both had cameras.

  So all day we went around the town with the two carry on bags, which fortunately have wheels, if not the really good ones bags have now. 

Ken with one of the bags. Two if you count his camera bag that's hanging on the carry on bag.

We walked all over that area, seeing what we could see.

Hallgrimsirkja church.

Interestingly different buildings. Mountains in the distance.

Trolls are big in Iceland...in more ways than one.

  I discovered that most places had something specifically for vegetarians or vegans. We found a whole vegan restaurant.

I had some patties that were pretty good, and potatoes and salad. I was feeling too lousy to eat it all though.

  I was going to strangle Ken by the end of the day because we couldn't just go to our accommodation and rest. We finally got in a bit after 4 o'clock. The place was warm and cozy. I got in the shower right away. That was another pain in the butt. As soon as the water was turned on the shower curtain sucked itself to my face and body. It was almost impossible to bathe because there was a curtain all over me. Normally that would creep me out: a strange shower curtain all over me. But I did the best I could. I was too tired and sore to worry too much about it. I was in bed by 6 o'clock, and didn't get up until the next day.

  Here's a thing. That was the most comfortable bed and pillow EVER. I don't think it was just because I was so relieved to lay down, because I felt the same way the next night. I had Ken take a picture of the pillow tag so I could remember what it was. The pillow was a Nordic Sleep Foss Flakes, medium low, and it was the best pillow I have found besides my 50+ year old feather pillow I've been sleeping on since I was 11.  It was made in Denmark, so I wondered if I could find one when we went to Europe and were a bit closer to the source. I asked my friend Helga, in Belgium if she'd ever heard of it. She immediately went into search mode and tracked them down online. They turned out to be expensive, and I didn't know how I'd get such a big thing home, so I gave up the idea. I will now dream about the perfect pillow, and it is a Nordic Sleep Foss Flakes Medium Low...

  But the night wasn't over for Ken. He had a nap, and then had to go out and haul the bags from the bus station, otherwise we'd have to pay for another day, which was too expensive to do. He came and went in the night, taking the opportunity to photograph the church at night while it was lit up. He also discovered that we were only a few minutes from the bus station, just like our airb&b description had said. It seemed like we had walked  miles, and I'm sure that in the ensuing hours between 7 and 4, we had. 

  The next day we went out to see a bit more of Reykjavik. Tammy World bought an Icelandic sweater.



We had pancakes at the Café Loki again. 

Yes, that's my glass of milk.

That's a forkfull of pancake I was trying to share with Ken.

We saw this cool wall.


We went inside the Hallgrimskirkja church.



I noticed a window to an upstairs room to the left of the bottom photo. I could see there was a miniature of the town in that room! I got Ken and we went to see where the stairs were that led up to the room, only to find that the stairs were roped off. A guy who was delivering hymn books told us that the upstairs was closed. I was very disappointed, but we went back out to the lobby area, where there were loads of other people, and Ken wanted to wait for the hymn book guy's van to leave from where he had parked, right in front of the doors, so he could get a photo from that spot. While we're standing there, with loads of other people mind you, the guy comes back out for another load of hymn books, and makes a point of coming up to us and repeating, "The upstairs is closed." Yeah, and? We get the point buddy. It's not like we're lingering near the stairs, waiting for the chance to slip up there. We're way out here, amongst a zillion other people you aren't suspecting of anything. I was offended.

Somewhat late in the afternoon we decided to take the 'hop on/off bus', and see where we might want to hop off and have something to eat. We thought we'd go all the way around once, and decide where we wanted to get off the next time around. 



So we got around once, deciding to 'hop off' at the docks, where Ken could get some fish. So  the bus started around on it's second lap. Not more than a couple of stops into it, the bus driver announced that the next stop would be the last for the day. What?! We got off near the docks and walked the rest of the way, only to find that everything seemed to be closed for the day. 


Ken was going to be getting hangry soon, so we needed to find food. We did stop in a shop and get some Icelandic ice cream. They seem to like black licorice there, and Ken got the licorice ice cream. Yech! 

That's it on the right.


  The Elf on the Shelf seems to have invaded everywhere. We saw every rip off of The Elf on the Shelf every country had to offer.


I had been joking the whole time about finding Icelandic honey, a reference to a Monty Python sketch where a guy is going door to door trying to sell honey for Icelandic Honey Week. But when the person who answered the door asks for Icelandic honey, they are told there is no such thing because it's too cold in Iceland! We kind of found out that that is true. The shops sold Spruce Syrup, (Which I was told really does taste like a spruce tree smells.) and Birch Syrup, but the man in the shop verified that they really don't have honey because they don't grow many flowers in Iceland. But guess what I finally found!

Icelandic honey!


 
  
I would have loved to have bought some and sent it to a Python loving friend of mine, but it was a bit expensive when she isn't really a sweets eater, and our luggage already weighed a ton.
I actually kind of would have liked to try the tree syrups, but I'm sure all I would have wanted was a taste, because it sounds like it would be awful!
   We walked for ages. I was in so much pain. I had to just keep pushing myself. Ken assured me that we weren't that far from a place to eat. He was managing to use the phone to sort out a place. Things were closing quickly, it was starting to get dark, my leg was killing me, and Ken's GPS was crap. We found someone who could direct us to the lobster place he was looking for, only to find that it had gone out of business. We finally found a restaurant that was open, and I put my foot down: We're eating here, I don't care if they have fish or not. As it turned out, the food was really good.


I had the chickpea and carrot fritters and veg. All the food was brought to your table in a skillet fresh off the stove top!  



For dessert we had apple crumble with vanilla and pistachio ice cream. It wasn't a combination I would have thought of, but it was good.

  A few years ago Emma and Ivy took a trip to New York and Canada. They brought back a little keyring for corn loving Ken. They thought it looked like him, and the fact that it was an ear of corn made it even better. We call him Corn Daddy, and Ken, after watching me photograph Tammy World everywhere, decided a while back to start documenting Corn Daddy's travels too.

Corn Daddy, about to dive into a drink.
 

  After we ate we walked back to our accommodation, photographing the church again, lit up. We met up with one of those Reykjavik cats.

Don't look at the hat. It was cold and raining, okay?!

  We had wanted to see the Northern Lights. We talked to a lady on the shuttle bus from the airport to the bus station on that first morning, who said she had seen them from the plane when she flew in. But there were two other ladies staying at our airb&b who had booked the excursion and not seen the lights. They were told they could come back for free the next night because they had missed them. They checked out before we could talk to them the next morning, but we talked to a couple on the Hop On/Off bus who said they were supposed to go that night, and the trip had been cancelled due to cloud cover. So we wouldn't have gotten to see the lights, even if we had booked it.

   We had to get up before daylight the next morning to get to the bus station in time to catch the bus to the airport in time. It wasn't so bad walking to the bus station with the bags, mainly because Ken took both big ones. I beat him to the bus station, and was picking up some cool rocks in the parking lot when Ken, who had somehow managed to get into the bus station without me seeing him, came out panicking, telling me the bus was about to leave, and come on. (And yes, I brought rocks home. They were really neat. They were almost perfectly round, and pretty smooth.)

  We made it onto the bus, and to the airport. 

At the airport Tammy met a giant Playmobile guy.

We met the brother of the troll from that shop in Reykjavik.





Ken's comment is, why is that guy so much bigger compared to me than to him? Smart aleck.

And I found Sobo and his family.

They're trolls too.


I caved and bought a Tin Tin figure, and the t-shirt I liked for Emma, since I hadn't found either away from the airport.

"Cats Rule the Town".

  We waited for our flight. 

I don't know why I'm doing this.

While I waited, Ken ran off to see if he could find any food, since we hadn't eaten. Somehow he managed to almost miss the flight, while still not bringing back any food.

  And that concluded our time in Iceland. Up next: Glasgow, and more bad luck.


7 comments:

  1. Boy howdy, so that's just the first leg of your trip??? What a Charlie Foxtrot! I'm glad y'all managed to have fun, though. What a beautiful city Reykjavik is! Thanks for the pictures of the church's interior; I really love how the world's various churches are so different and so similar at the same time. I'm looking forward to the Glasgow post, bad luck or no!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love seeing the interior of churches, you're going to love these posts! We saw some beautiful ones!

      Delete
  2. The church is beautiful, inside and out! But yikes, you really had a time of it! I will eagerly await the next installment, but I am also glad you are home, safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we actually made it home. Pretty good considering!

      Delete
  3. Wow, what an exciting trip! Corn Ken is quite funny; Mr. BTEG has several of those minifigs, but not a corn one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it sounded pretty boring so far, unless you like pain and pancakes.

      Delete
    2. Well, I think your trip as whole was probably pretty exciting, at least to me. I was in pain during my recent vacation too, only I was in Amish Country, which is not nearly as noteworthy!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.