Sunday, March 10, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #69: Barbie's '60th' Week: Twist 'N Turn Barbie

  Happy birthday to me today! The doll for today is from my favourite Barbie era,the Mod Era.

 

 

She's Twist 'N Turn Barbie.
 


  They were so called because of their twist and Turn waists.


Twist 'N Turns were produced in 1967 and 1968.

 

The main difference between the dolls seems to be their bathing suits. The 1967 version came in a two piece orange bathing suit with a cover-up made of mesh with orange trim. The 1968 version came wearing a two piece bathing suit consisting of hot pink vinyl bottom and checked knitted top with a green vinyl belt. Doesn't everybody wear a sweater and a belt when they go swimming?


  The hair colours available for the TNT were given names. There was 'Sun Kissed',which was a pale blonde, 'Summer Sand',which was sort of a dirty blonde.Red or Titian just went by their regular names...

This is Emma's Titian girl,which seems to be on permanent loan to me. You can see her post HERE.
...but Mattel really went to town with the brunettes. There were a couple of brown shades called 'Go Go Co Co', a medium brown, and 'Chocolate Bon Bon', a dark brown.

This is my Chocolate Bon Bon,and you can see her post HERE.
This girl seems to be a Go Go Co Co.


She seems to have gathered some fluff on her eyelashes during all of her wardrobe changes.
  The Mod Era dolls appeal to me because of their high colour faces and rooted eyelashes.
 


 Most of the clothes are high colour too.



I think I might, majoritively, prefer the style of the earlier clothes though. But not on these dolls. Does that make sense?


She's wearing the blouse from 1968's  'Scene Stealers'.
  That's it for Barbie's '6oth' Week. I hope you enjoyed it. I had fun digging around in my Barbie stuff. Some of it I had forgotten I had,so it was nice to refresh my memory.

This is Walking Jamie's 'Furry Friends' coat, from the Sears exclusive gift set sold in 1970-71.
This dress is Knit Hit, from 1969.
  Tomorrow we're back to regular random posts, if that makes sense!

12 comments:

  1. Well I've really enjoyed seeing all your Barbies this week, so thank you very much for sharing. I particularly like the brunette girl in the navy blue and red dress, Chocolate Bon Bon, she is so pretty!
    I hope you're having a lovely birthday, you're the same age as me as I'll be 57 in June :) But of course we never age like other people as we still play with dolls ;)
    Big hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!! I hope you have a nice day! Thanks for sharing all these beautiful vintage dolls this past week. Today’s is an especially pretty one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! Hope you had a great day.
    And I agree about the outfits. The early outfits were beautiful but they look weird on the mod era dolls because their styles are so different

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They usually do, but I admit to loving Enchanted Evening on Stacey.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday!!!!
    I liked the black haired Barbie in the blue dress with red stripes the best. She was striking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday!!! I love your blog. I'm 57, and many of your photos of your childhood bring back memories of my own. LOVE THE DOLLS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing. I think that I like the Chocolate Bon Bon best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, but if I get a really nice titian she'll have some serious competition!

      Delete
  7. Happy WAY Belated Birthday! I like the faces on the Mod Era Barbies best too. And I wasn't even born yet. lol The clothes are amazing too. I am not posting as many responses because it now asks me to check the box that I am not a robot every reply! Annoying, but I do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Just think of it as an early Happy Birthday by now, as my birthday is next month. I wonder why it suddenly asked you to do that. Probably because there were so many. Thanks for persevering!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.