Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #310: Happy Birthday Ivy and Babblin Boo

  Today is Ivy's 20th birthday. I go pick her up from college on Friday. We'll celebrate her birthday with Emma on Saturday. I didn't get much chance to work on Ivy's room today. I spent part of the day digging out Emma's old Arthur books by Marc Brown. (Emma loved them, and got an Arthur book for every occasion of her life: first tooth lost,birthday, Christmas, Halloween, Valentine's day,new baby sibling,etc. Ken used to joke about it."'When is it going to stop? What happens when she's older? "Arthur's Period".")  The reason I had to dig her books out was that Marc Brown was appearing here in town, giving a talk and signing books. Emma wanted to get hers signed. 

I thought it would be all little kids getting books, but the event had to be moved to a school gymnasium because so many people were interested. The place was packed, and more adults than kids got books signed.
  Today's doll is one that represents an obsession Ivy had as a toddler. She's this kid.


This is Babblin Boo,from "Monsters Inc.".


Babblin Boo is from 2001,when Ivy was 2 years old. The reason Ivy has Boo is that, even before she had seen the movie,Ivy was obsessed with "Monsters Inc.", especially Mike,the one eyed green guy. Boo was made by Hasbro. She talks, although soe of the stuff she says, we never figured out. "...comes along, straddle lemon time." What?

She has a very large battery door in her back.

Ivy has several Mike dolls, toys, and pillows. 

Ivy, camping in 2013, with her new Mike pillow. You may have seen this in a previous post from way back then.
(I think I counted three different Mike pillows in her room,including one with legs.) She also has the Sully that has a light up canister, and talks. She has a plastic talking Mike,and some little stuffed ones. But Boo is more limited in Ivy's collection. She has this one, which came with a stuffed 'Little Mikey', Mike's three legged, one eyed teddy...thing,that Boo appropriated,and a couple of small plastic figures.


This is Boo's original night gown and hair set,including pink ponytailers.



She also came with white ankle socks, but those are floating around in the doll clothes bin somewhere.
  We never figured out why Mike had such a fascination for Ivy. She spotted him in the store and fell in love,without ever seeing the movie. Maybe someday when she brings home a boyfriend who is green, with one big eye and clawed feet, it will all make sense.

6 comments:

  1. I hope Ivy had a very happy birthday! Turning 20 is a very big deal. Your daughter is almost exactly twice the age of my daughter (she turned 10 last week)!

    As an elementary school librarian, I always loved the Marc Brown Arthur books, so I would say that Emma has good taste. I hope she enjoyed meeting this author. I once got to meet my favorite children’s book author (Patricia Polacco) and have her sign some books, and it was a great experience.

    The Boo doll is extremely cute. A friend of mine once had this doll and I always thought she was adorable. Monsters Inc is a great movie and I can totally see a toddler becoming obsessed with Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Ivy liked Mike's color or shape, or the fact that that toy was easy to hold. Kids' brains are weird, aren't they? I had a fixation with round things when I was small...and it never really went away, LOL! It's weird, when Boo was new in stores I thought she was the ugliest thing, but this doll is adorable! I love her big eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever the reason, I have to give the animator's credit for making monsters look adorable, and not scary, to kids.

      Delete
  3. I remember seeing the movie with my daughter. We both loved it. I thought Boo was so cute. I didn't know she was made into a doll.

    Happy Birthday to Ivy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is a very cute doll, I like Boo, she's so sweet! I hope Ivy had a great birthday and that your celebrations go well :) Next the BIG 21!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Boo and Monsters Inc. I watched it as an adult with TJ. lol I think his favorite was Mike too! I thought Boo was just the cutest toddler. And her words on screen were not much more clear than the doll.

    Happy 20th Ivy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.