Thursday, September 30, 2021

The Doll Book of the Month Club: The Doll In the Garden

   If it's not one thing, it's another. You won't believe what happened to us now. Before we get to this month's book, let me tell you a tale. 

  Saturday afternoon I was talking to my sister on the (land line) phone, when  all went silent. Turns out, our electricity was off. We assumed it was everybody's electricity, and it would soon be back on. So we went on with our lives. Ken went to work. The fact that he didn't come back home should have tipped me off to the fact that, at least, it wasn't the whole town. I just thought of that. But at the time I was thinking when it started to get dark, and neighbours' lights were coming on, that, 'maybe it's just our block'. Unfortunately, it was not our block, but just us. 

  Ken worked late Saturday  night, and went in early Sunday morning, so he didn't really have a chance to figure out why we had no electricity until Sunday evening. I know nothing about the electric, so I wasn't even going to try. When Ken sorted it out it appeared we need a new main breaker. We went to try to find one Monday, after helping Emma and Fuzz move Fuzz's stuff to a new apartment. Nobody seemed to have one. As we were waiting at a red light to turn onto the street to Home Depot, an electric repair van drove past. I joked that maybe he had our part, and Ken said maybe even that guy was going to Home Depot for supplies. So the light changed and we drove to Home Depot right behind the electric guy! He was going to Home Depot for supplies! Home Depot didn't have the breaker, but Ken talked to him in the electrical aisle, and he confirmed what Ken thought was the problem, He also said that since the pandemic it has been really hard to get supplies like the breaker we needed. He said it might take months to get the breaker. Noooooo!!! He told us about an electrical supply place we could try. They also didn't have the breaker, and called loads of other stores, including competitors, to see if anybody had it. Nobody did. So we resorted to ordering one from Amazon. We paid extra for expedited shipping...a LOT extra. It was supposed to come between Wednesday and Sunday. I thought it must be coming from China or somewhere. Well, it turned up today and it only came from FLORIDA! It should not have cost $30 to expedite something from Florida to Ohio, and still have taken 3 days! 

  Anyway, it was worth it. We have our electricity back. While it was out, there was no house phone, no internet, (because it goes through the phone line and there was no electricity to the phone base), so, no sound, and no light! I have a heavy duty flash light, so I could get around. But by Tuesday night I was talking to the cats, to myself, anything for some sound. And the dim light was causing me to nearly have a panic attack. I was trying to take a shower in the dim light and started freaking. I kept saying to myself, "I can't do this. I can't do this." I'm not afraid of the dark. It was just that I couldn't see clearly. At the best of times I like a super well lit room. If I can't see properly it just drives me crazy. I don't like candle light, or dimly lit restaurants. I need to SEE! I had to keep myself from starting to hyperventilate. I've had panic attacks. I had them every day at the end of my school days, (which finished early because of it.)  I knew one was coming on. I did have some tears, but managed to settle myself and get through the shower. When I went in my bedroom I turned on every battery operated light we had. Ken came home and saw the bedroom window and thought the electricity had come back on. Seriously.

  Anyway, once we got the electricity back on today, not everything came back on, and we had to go out and get one of the lesser breakers too. Luckily Lowe's had one.

  So, we got our internet back just in time for this month's book. Talk about coming down to the wire. But, continuing Ken's luck, tonight he locked the car keys in the trunk! He had gotten off work and put something in the trunk and left the keys in it. The police had to come and get into the car for him.

  This month's book is "The Doll in the Garden", by Mary Downing Hahn.


  From the cover you'd think this book gets pretty gory and scary. But read on.

  The story begins with an 'almost 11' year old Ashley moving to a new apartment with her mother. Ashley's father has recently died and she and her mother are still coming to terms with their loss. The apartment was rented from a real estate agent, but the house belongs to the occupant of the downstairs half of the house, a crotchety old woman named Miss Cooper. 

  Miss Cooper hates Ashley on sight, and Ashley can't seem to stay out of trouble with her. She forbids Ashley to go into the weedy old garden at the back of the property. Of course, Ashley goes anyway. There she finds a statue and fish pond amongst the weeds. and a white cat. When Ashley meets her new neighbour, Kristi, Kristi tells Ashley that the white cat is a ghost, and connected to mysterious crying that's heard every summer.  

  Ashley talks Kristi into coming into the garden with her, even though Kristi is very afraid of the 'haunted' garden and the mysterious white cat. While clearing out the weeds Kristi uncovers a wooden box, buried in the garden. The box contains a very old doll, and a note from someone named Carrie, apologizing to someone named Louisa, and asking for her forgiveness. Kristi is afraid of the doll and insists that Ashley leave the doll in the box. But both girls later feel sorry for the doll, and Ashley retrieves her.

  Okay. From the moment they find the doll anybody could figure that the crying is a ghost girl wanting her doll back. But this story goes further, and deals with death and grief, and regret. It's not a super scary story, but  has just enough eerieness to get things going. The end is a sad/happy one. It may not end the way we wish it could end, but it ends realistically and satisfyingly.

  I don't think the book will be too sad for kids, although it did make me cry. (I cry at anything. Just ask my family.)  It's sad, but in the end we learn that it's okay to be sad sometimes. It's also not too scary, as I said. In fact, those looking for a horrifying story might be pretty disappointed. I liked the book. I think most kids will too.

  There are no illustrations. The book was originally published in 1989, (...which makes the timeline of the book more understandable. You have to read it to know what I mean.) , and has been published with a few different covers.

  That's the doll book this month. See you soon.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, we lost electricity but it was from a bit wee bit of a storm ,rained like 5 minutes.We are lucky to have motion activated battery lights in our main areas, mostly because we have a moderately old home (1965), and a black cat that gets in peoples path in the darkest areas, mostly on the way to use the bathroom.
    Your book looks like a good one to tuck into some of my dolls,plus get me into my pre-Halloween Ghost hanging on the magnolia tree. I'm sure to love my new/old books to enjoy between Audio books. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment. That makes it worth while.
      Yes, the cover looks pretty creepy. There is another cover that's really pretty, and not creepy!
      Our house was built in 1929. We moved in in 1995, so even things that were new then are starting to wear out. The guy from the electric company said yesterday that the life span of those breakers is about 40 years, and that one was put it right after we moved in. It should have had longer, but our basement is damp and it was very corroded.

      Delete
  2. Ooo, that one sounds interesting! Lord have mercy, being without power...has the heat broken in Ohio yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily it is much cooler now. We don't have air conditioning anyway, but if it was really hot we'd die without at least having our fans!

      Delete
  3. Tam, I know exactly what you mean about showering in the dark. I would panic, too. But I really enjoy your book reviews, and mostly they cause me to head over to Thriftbooks.com to buy them! Actually, I just read Behind the Attic Wall, and found it super satisfying, so I imagine I will get to this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't pitch dark, but trying to see in the half light was driving me crazy. I was thinking, "I need to get in some bright light NOW!", which, of course, wasn't possible. That made it worse.
      I'm glad you're enjoying the books. If you liked Behind the Attic Wall, I think you'll like the next one.

      Delete
  4. I got this one on Kindle and recently had some free time during the day. I know you said it wasn't that bad, but I wanted to make sure. lol I really enjoyed it! I also cried my eyes out. I am sitting there in a doctor's office, waiting for my son, crying. I played it off as allergies. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said it wasn't that scary. I didn't say it wouldn't make you cry! I did!

      Delete
  5. I don't remember which post I asked you about my childhood book, so I am going to put it on this post. Stump the Bookseller came through!

    Margaret Pope Trask, Three for Treasure

    Here’s the Kirkus Reviews description of Three for Treasure:

    High Over, Vermont, is another name for paradise according to Lissa
    and Daniel Duffield. It is the home of their grandparents and the
    perfect place for two curious youngsters to spend a summer. Even the unwelcome presence of goodnatured clinging Martin Hatch cannot dim their enthusiasm though both children are certainly disappointed to see him. Reluctantly they include Martin in their games and projects, the most exciting of which is the discovery of Aunty Melly’s diary written when she was a little girl and indicating the general whereabouts of Arabella, a precious doll containing a silver teaset. After writing to Aunty Melly, the children receive an answer leading them to the treasure. Yet a much more valuable prize is in the offing. As Daniel and Lissa get to know Martin through the mishaps and pleasures of summer escapades, they come to know a kind and generous child who is no longer an intruder. Though Lissa refuses to sell the antique teaset to persistent Mrs. Plum, she gives it to Martin – as a token of her own newfound generosity. There is warmhearted humor in this story and children as real as their readers – children who grow as a result of their experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Check this one! https://www.ebay.com/itm/154877210306?hash=item240f66aec2:g:xnEAAOSwNvViAtLa

      Delete
    2. Darnit, I already bought the one that was $13, including shipping. LOL I never look at auctions because I never win them. Thanks for trying though! Doesn't it sound like something you would have read the kids?

      Delete
    3. It does sound like something I would have read, with or without the kids!

      Delete
    4. I have a copy of both of her books on the way. She wrote just one other story and I found it cheap on Amazon. I am so happy though to have this book back, much less find another she did. I read this one over and over. Written in 1962, it was either one of Mom's books/I found it at a library sale/I found it at a thrift store. Looking forward to your next post when you have time. Hope you have a blast at the play.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.