Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Early October Doll Show, Part 1

   I told you I was going to a doll show on Sunday. My sister told me afterward that the toy show she and I went to last year was the same day. The doll show was almost all very expensive antique dolls, so i might have done better going to the toy show. There were a few things I could afford, but not a lot. I bought very few things. Had I been overloaded with money there were many things I could have bought. One booth had so many good things I wanted EVERYTHING! That booth is a post in itself, so look for Part 2 of this doll show post coming soon. As for now, here are some of the other highlights from the show. As I came into the show I saw this booth of antique Asian dolls. Many of them were in the thousands of dollars. We'll see more of them further down.


These beautiful antique girls  were up next.



  I had a much more pleasant experience this time with dealers as far as taking pictures. Remember, a while abck that lady was really crabby about having her dolls photographed?


I love the kid on the right!


This time the dealers were super nice about allowing photographs. Several dealers thanked me for asking, and one expressed some annoyance with the fact that most people just take pictures without bothering to ask.
  This Ginny playground set was so cute. I could imagine doing some very cute photos with it.


  I aske done of the dealers why some dealers were so down on letting people take photos. She said, "There are a lot of reasons. One thing is, if there name is associated with the pictures, they worry about theft." Well I hate to tell them, but everybody at the show has seen them, maybe picked up their card, seen all their dolls: they know they have them! If they really wanted to rob them, they could follow them home, or whatever. Having photographs online doesn't do anything but maybe give them some publicity. As for the other reasons, she didn't tell them to me.
  These little guys were very cute.

Their friend in the front is a little glum.


  This girl is by Helen Kish.


  Sorry kid in pink, but you look like actor Albert Salmi.





  These gorgeous kids are made of wood.



Ken reminds me that I should mention that the price of entry to the doll show had gone up to $10! That's crazy! By the time you have spent $10 getting in, you have eaten into your spending budget quite a bit, at least if you are me.


 I think the boy on the left is wooden too.



P loved this little girl's face. She looks familiar, almost like a Pongratz doll, but they are made of wood, and she's not.



  I think some of these are Madame Alexander Little Women.

Is the one in the blue dress an Alice?



It wasn't as big as the old doll show I used to go to. It was pretty good sized though. This picture was taken with another wall of tables behind me.


  I do miss the shows with tubs and tables of interesting 60's and more recent dolls, and little surprises I could afford. The antique dolls are wonderful to see, and I enjoy them, but it would be nice to find things I could actually buy. No wonder younger people aren't going to shows or collecting dolls. They can't afford it.




$1500!!

  I really like this girl. She is unmarked, but has lots of personality. Anybody know who she is? The dealer was at a loss.




  Remember the post I did on brush dolls? Check these out.




  I saw two sets of Baps dolls at the show.


  This Betsy McCall bride doll was beautiful. She's a much bigger doll than the one I got recently. She was probably about 22 inches tall.


  I really like Margie dolls. They're so cute, and are actually quite articulated.  This one was in amazingly good condition for her age.




  I'd love to have been able to bring these girls home. They're both bisque, and probably from the 1920's or 30's.



  The little blue bear is most likely from the 1940's. The little girl next to him looks great in her pretty blue outfit, even if it is actually new.

The girl on the right looks like she's really thinking about something.


  I recognized the maker of this fella right off. He's a Zwergnase. I LOVE him! The also amazing dog is "Peter Pan"'s  Nana, by R.John Wright.


  I was quite impressed by this doll's face.



Having looked up the artist, I believe she is made of  Cernit Super Sculpey.



She is a one of a kind doll from 1998. I think she's a Julia Fischer doll, but the tag was hard to read.

That's not actually a bad price for a one of a kind doll of her quality. She was quite large too.

  This dealer had three Alice's.



  I was taken by this girl in green and white gingham. She was also unmarked, so I don't know who she is.



  Check this guy out. He's Pinocchio, y Ralph A. Freundlich.



  This tiny little girl was in a case full of mini dolls. She was my favourite.



  I found some Old Cottage dolls, but they were expensive. My favourite was the one on the right.


  This was a lovely line of ladies.



  I really liked this unmarked doll in the front, right. (Is the doll behind, to the left, an Alice?)



The dealer had no idea who she is. Does anybody know? She has tin eyes.



  Now back to those super expensive, probably museum quality Asian dolls.

The 4th full sized doll from the left is wearing a cape made of something like coconut fiber.



I loved these two.





This guy was a puppet, and was over $6000.


  That's it for this post. Coming up we'll see the amazing artists dolls from one booth. It was my favourite booth of the whole show. I wanted everything the dealer had, but I could only afford a couple of small things.

8 comments:

  1. Man alive, those Ichimatsu dolls are to die for! I like the two little boys too, LOL. I think your new BAPS doll is prettier than the ones at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was kind of like going to a doll museum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Madame Alexander doll in blue with the white apron seems to be Little Women Meg. The doll in the green gingham has an Ella Dewees Cochran feel to me, but I would think all of her dolls would be marked in some way. I like the Old Cottage doll with the green striped dress too. And wow, those Asian dolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doll on the spiral staircase with the other Little Women dolls is indeed Meg, not Alice. I also did some more research and did find the doll in the picture with the unmarked tin eyed doll. As it turns out she's an American Character Sweet Sue Alice doll. I'll do some more research on Ella Dewees Cochran ans see what I can find.

      Delete
  4. Where there any vintage Barbie or other '60s-'80s fashion dolls(Tammy, Tressy, Dawn, Darci, Jem, etc.)? It seems there are less and less '60s-'80s fashion dolls at doll shows these days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a couple of tables had Barbies or associated dolls. On the other hand, the show I went to before was all fashion dolls. But you're right. There aren't as many dealers selling Barbies or any other fashion dolls from the 60's. I miss them too, although they are now so expensive I can't buy any.

      Delete
  5. The other weekend I tagged along with my brother to a non-sports collectable trading cards show, looking for movie based trading cards, and the entrance fee there was $10 per person. However, we each got a pack of card freebies with admission, including a coupon that could be cashed in at another table for more card freebies, not to mention free entries in the day's raffle drawings.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.