Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Play Sets: Moxie Girlz Magic Snow Cabin

  This is the first of our Play Sets posts. Today,since it's still winter and cold outside, we're looking at the Moxie Girls Magic Snow Cabin.

This is a stock photo of the box.
It's exactly like the Bratz Winter Dream Cabin, (except the Moxie's cabin is more blue than pink.). This makes sense because both lines were made by MGA.

Keep in mind that mine is second hand and I'm missing the smaller accessories to this play set.
 The set consists of two wall pieces, and two roof pieces. There's no floor piece. It originally came with a bar...


I agree with the review I read that said the bar parts don't join together very well.

 ...a stool...



 The stool is very tiny for dolls any bigger though. In fact, the seat is so tiny that even Moxie Girlz should have a hard time keeping their butts on it.
 

Amazingly,she stayed on really well.


The stool didn't turn over either.
 ...a chair...


The chair is very low,although I've seen Barbie furniture try to get by with things the same height.

It looks short,even with the dolls intended for it.
... and a snow shovel. I'm sure I had both roof pieces and the snow shovel,but of course,when I need to use them they have wandered off.
 I'm missing the icicles for the roof edges.

The roofing snaps on---not very well---and the icicles would fit into the channel on the edge.
I'm also missing the outside lantern,which attaches to the wall to the left of the left hand window, and the pink window sill for the left window.




Also missing is the radio,the fondue pot, skewers,a tray, a croissant and a muffin,two cups of cocoa,two glasses of hot chocolate,and a carton of milk.


This is the stock MGA picture.

  I'm also missing the fire for the fire place, which would have been nice to have. The fire and the fireplace are usable from the inside or the outside. Why you would want to have a fireplace that goes straight through to the outside,I don't know.

The inside.

The outside.

The fireplace is a pass-through. this is the outside.

 The idea of the Magic Snow Cabin was that it was a snowy lodge for the Magic Snow Moxie Girlz dolls. 


The dolls modeling the set are Magic Snow dolls Owen, Avery,and Kellan. (You can see my post on Kellan HERE,and on Avery and Owen HERE.) As  for the set,it is sized for Moxie Girlz,so don't get the idea you're going to use it for Barbie sized dolls. The walls are way too low for Barbie,Monster High,Ever After High, or other dolls of that scale. It's ok for anybody 10 inches tall, and a bit below.
  The dolls each came with a snowflake Christmas ornament looking thing filled with 'magic snow'. When water was added to the 'magic snow' it increased in volume. It was supposed to resemble real snow. I can see it being a sloshy mess,but then, I haven't tried it. The Magic Snow Cabin had a 'fun' feature of it's own. Well,you can call it fun. I wouldn't think it was fun if I had to clean up after it. In fact, I might not have thought it was very fun if I were a kid playing with it. The gimmick is that you can 'make it snow' by placing the fake snow, that came with the set, in the chimney and turning on the switch in back. Then the snow,which was made of tiny styrofoam balls,came shooting out of the chimney.
 
 Out of this tiny hole they have instead of a normal chimney opening. What does Moxie Santa do?
Ok. To me, that would look less like snow and more like the Moxie Girlz put too much popcorn on the fire. (Especially after I told you last week that when we had the Doll Fair I made the popcorn out of crumbled styrofoam.) For one thing, why is the snow shooting out of the chimney? If there was fake 'smoke' coming out of the chimney,that might make sense. I watched a Daily Motion video of the cabin spewing snow and the motor makes an annoyingly loud noise too. (You can watch that HERE.) They'll be no relaxing by the fire as the snow flies in this cabin. Also,I can tell you from experience that whoever used this set must have had styrofoam bits to deal with for the next six months. Maybe years. It collects static electricity and sticks to everything. It resists being cleaned up. How were kids ever supposed to 'make it snow more than once? There would be no way to collect all that snow back up and stuff it back into the chimney. The cabin is made of plastic. The styrofoam snow would stick to every inch of the cabin---inside and out---and the fingers of anybody who tried to cram it into the chimney. Maybe I'm just being a party pooper,but I would prefer my snow fall from the sky...and then not stick to the walls and my face. That being said,my kids might have enjoyed this set, and I would probably have enjoyed it with them.

   You can see all the Magic Snow dolls and the cabin playset on YouTube HERE,and you can watch the commercial for the Magic Snow Cabin HERE.
There's a full review of the cabin at Growing Up is for Quitters. You can see that HERE.

9 comments:

  1. its very cute, I have two moxie girls and a Mercedes that's missing a front window (dang kids)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, cute, cute. I am a little confused though. Are they supposed to be indoors or out of doors? I am trying to understand the need for a shovel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh...both? And the shovel is for the fake snow,which would actually be everywhere BUT the shovel,I can assure you!

      Delete
  3. The cabin is cute, but it doesn’t seem like much of a playset - more of a backdrop I think. There just doesn’t seem to be much to it. And the “magic snow” seems like a disaster waiting to happen. I think if someone wants a small cabin for their dolls, the Liv doll Maple Lodge was a better playset than this one. I’ve looked at the Liv doll lodge on eBay several times but so far haven’t purchased one yet. I’m sure I will eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having looked at the Maple Lodge set,k I see some of the some problems with it. At least it's taller,and best of all: no snow!

      Delete
  4. It's funny, I actually just donated my Magic Snow Cabin to the thrift just this past week!

    It really is a mixed bag of a playset, isn't it? It's not quite tall enough to pass as a house, not fully realized enough to be a decent backdrop. And that "snow"! Someone was insane when they decided tiny styrofoam pellets was a great accessory to have. It's arguably worse than glitter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with all points. Maybe we should design these things!

      Delete
  5. I watched the video and it looks like the snow made the girls cough! I didn't watch it with sound, so I could be wrong.

    Its cute but that snow stuff just seems a mess. And tossing tiny pieces of plastic in the air where we can breathe it in? Um, no.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.