Saturday, March 5, 2022

First Doll Show of 2022!

  Happy Place. Happy Place. Let's forget the world right now and be happy for a while.

  We recently had quite an ice storm. That was the week before this past week. It looked like this out our landing window.


All our bushes at the side of our house sagged into the street with the weight of the ice.


They also sagged over into our driveway so far the postal person didn't deliver for two days because they would have had to stoop under them to get to the mailbox.

 One trunk of the dogwood even fell over! Unfortunately it fell ONTO our glass patio table and a chair. Oddly enough, It doesn't seem to have caused any damage to the table! We may find that's not so when we try to move it. Fuzz imagined a scenario where we think all is well until we set food on the table this summer, and the whole thing shatters. Anyway, the whole town and far around had looked like a shimmering silver Winter Wonderland for the past few days...until last Sunday. The weather warmed up,  so you can guess what happened. I left a beautiful icy fantasyland Sunday morning to head for the first doll show of the year, and came home to a muddy old town. Here's what everything looked like as I left:



  Everything sparkled!

Grass, trees, and bushes were all covered in a shiny silver coating of ice.






Even the fields were a sparkling silver.





  I took these pictures n the way to the doll show. It was a great one, with plenty of great things and great deals! Here are some of the things I saw.

  Well the first thing I saw when I walked into the sales room was this table, and the little naked Tiny Betsy McCall. (On the upper tier, below the dolls in the white dresses.) She was only $40, and had red hair! That's a really good price for a Tiny Betsy McCall, (And I've been wanting a red haired Betsy), and it seemed to be mostly because she had a crack in her torso, which doesn't really bother me. But I thought,  'I've only just walked in, and I have the whole room to go. I'd better not spend that yet.'  This show had so many really interesting and nice dolls. And I brought less money than normal! I also spent part of what I had, buying dolls for other people! They're going to pay me back, but it meant I used a lot of my money for the day before I had barely gotten started. I couldn't pass up what I bought though. I'll explain that in future posts. Betsy was still there when I left, but I didn't have enough money left. 


  I really loved this American Character Whimsies doll, Tillie the Talker, but she was $50. She was all original and in great condition, and that's a good price, but that was too much for me.


  This guy was made by Rushton, who made the original 'Jill' doll that was used for Mrs. Beasley before Mattel made theirs.  I've seen pictures of him, but I'd never seen him in person.

They'd never make a doll that was smoking a cigar for kids these days!

  These cute, tiny babies may be perfume bottles. Any other ideas?


  I like the kid in the middle.


  Here's a bunch of pretty girls.

The girl bottom left looks happy, but her friend looks very suspicious. 

Here's a close up of the two small girls in the picture above. They were so small, and so cute, with such delicate dresses.


  These three were from Russia, but you can't hold that against them. Very colourful and cute.


  This set of mid century furniture is by Arco. I love that TV!

The dealer had the other lamp, but it was missing the base.

  This is a lion tamer and his lion, by Steiff. Why does his mustache grow out of the corners of his mouth?


I am getting a 1930's, sort of Mae West, thing from these ladies.


  I don't know if I've ever seen a real Blythe in person either. But there she was. That clear plastic box she's laying in made me think of a glass coffin! She was $325!


  This kid is Terri Lee's little baby sister. She had a rubbery texture, but she didn't look lumpy and mumpy like Terri Lee.


  This doll was made in France. She looked a little inexpensive, but I thought she was pretty.


  I found I kept getting drawn to Toni dolls. This one was gorgeous.


  Aw! Look at that baby! The girl with him has a nice head, but it doesn't look like it goes on that body. I mean, I'm sure it does, but it looks weird. The kid in pink is cute too.


This little guy has a wonderful coat. The dealer said she gave him the ship in a bottle she found somewhere, because he looked nautical. He looked good with it.


  The same dealer had this guy. He had no feet. He was a torso on a stick. She said he originally would have had a bellows of some kind under the 'dress', and when pushed upward it would have made a sound.


You can see him again below, with some other wonderful antique dolls


That dealer also had this strange looking kid. Guess what: it's a muff! It's for keeping your hands warm...and it has a head and strange bear limbs.


  More lovely girls.


Look at the personality in this kid. She looks like she's dancing too, which I'm sure was an accident of her placement. but I got a kick out of it.


I recognized this doll as a Roddy doll right away, because it' a bigger version of the one I have.


This doll was so beautiful. The colouring of her face and clothes, and her cute face really appealed to me.


I liked both of these. The little guy in the chair was so cute, and had very realistically painted lips and eyes.


He is a doll made by an artist named Dianne Dengel in 1989.  


This kid appealed to me as the type of doll I would have had as a kid. The green wings seemed to have been added later, and not original.


I liked this Klumpe lady, needle pointing.


This Italian lady was so pretty.


  This dealer had quite a range of Betsy McCall dolls. (The three on the right.) The kid in black is a reproduction Penny Bright.


Bitty Baby looked ready to sumo wrestle.


I think I showed you this girl in  a previous doll show post. She's Maggie by Madame Alexander.


Lots of pretty kids, including some Shirley Temples on the right.


What stands out in this picture is the angry kid in pink!



I think the girl in red and white is a Deanna Durbin. The baby on the right, in white, is a Dimples, I think.


  I don't know who this girl is, and neither did the dealer. Pretty though.


Another Toni that drew me in.


This doll in the flowered dress was on the same table. She seemed to be all original, and has red hair. The dealer didn't know who she was, and asked $15. I said yes, and then they seemed to realize something, and said, "oh well, she told you 15, so..." I think they realized she was worth more. Does anybody know who she is? If you do, leave a comment.


  These two ladies  were very different, but equally nice dolls. 



  So many beautiful dolls.


  Soon I'll show you what I bought. I will tell you I got something that I had really liked at a previous show, which, thank goodness, showed up again.
  I had also arranged to meet Barb from My Little Doll Corner while I was there, because I had promised her some Ever After High dolls. In the parking lot I remembered suddenly that we should take a picture together, like we did the last tie we met up at a doll show. (I guess I only posted a picture of Barb. She posted our picture together.

Barb, on the left, and me.

  So that was the first doll show of this year. If they are all like this I'll be happy...and broke.

5 comments:

  1. First of all, I love the winter wonderland look. Too bad it turns into mud. lol The first picture has a baby doll that is rather disturbing. It looks like an adult face with a baby body. But I love the baby doll in blue overalls to the right of it and the baby in the bonnet that is just barely in the picture.

    The Rushton guy looks like he was caught in a fire. I am not sure if its the picture angle or what. But his lower face looks singed. I think its supposed to be a beard.

    The babies could also be ornaments. The string attaches on the metal part? I can't tell if there is a ring on top where a string could go.

    On the sixth picture, I actually like the girl that looks suspicious. I would have gone for her happy friend before, you are rubbing off on me. LOL

    I love the two Russian kid dolls. The woman is beautifully done too, but I like the kids better.

    The lion tamer is cool, but I like the lion best! I will say the lion tamer looks like he has whiskers, not a mustache. Maybe that was on purpose?

    Awwwww, Terri Lee's baby sister is so cute! I would have loved her if she wasn't crazily priced.

    I would have taken the baby you loved down below too - in the blue gingham and white romper. He has such a sweet face!

    The little guy with the ship in bottle looks like he came with it. I know he didn't, but I can see why she gave it to him.

    Um... I'll pass on the doll muff lol

    The oriental type doll (and if she's not, I am so sorry) appeals to me. She's the one you liked her face, clothes, etc. I agree on all of it.

    The little boy or girl with the tongue out makes me laugh.

    The table with the 3 Betsy's and repro Penny, I like the doll on the far right. Based on the dolls you have shown us in the past, she might be a Uneeda? I am guessing and probably way off. lol I like her old fashioned dress and her sideways look.

    I am laughing at Bitty Baby. Those dolls look way too young for all that hair! Makes them look like a baby in a wig.

    Oh, love the Madame Alexander Maggie doll. Her hair, her outfit, all of it.

    I like the black baby in among the Shirleys. Her little romper and bonnet are cute and she has a sweet face.

    I noticed the angry kid in pink, but the one in a blue dress that is towering over all of them is not looking at you with love either. lol

    I am overwhelmed with dolls, so that's about it for what I would have noticed. lol

    I am glad to see a picture of you and Barb again! You both look like you had a nice time seeing each other again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to see what pics you took, compared to what I did. Your pic of the two of us came out better than mine, I think. For Michelle, to be fair, that Bitty Baby is a Bitty Twin. There was also a boy Bitty Twin produced. They have Bitty Baby's body, but are supposed to be slightly older than Bitty Baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny we managed not to repeat pictures! I'm surprised that picture came out on the first try! It took me at least 3 tries to get a picture like that of Lori and me last October.

      Delete
  3. What fun the doll show looks like! Not so much the ice. I am over icky weather and ready for some sunshine. I have not been to any gathering of dolls in at least 3 years, but I am going to remedy that next month when one of my best friends and I travel to Michigan for the Grants A Wish convention (it is a nice little convention and not stressful like Barbie or Integrity conventions can be).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun at the convention, and stay safe!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.