Friday, August 20, 2021

Doll Show Again!

   Sunday was another doll show day. It was about an hour and a half away and I went by myself while Ken was at work, so I popped in a CD and had a day out alone. I did run into an old friend from doll shows at the show. Luckily she recognized me, even with the mask on,(She and I were practically the only people wearing masks.), because I didn't even notice her.

  There were lots of lovely dolls, and some of the prices were wonderful. Some of the dolls I have shown you from previous shows were there again, like this guy:


I didn't photograph him again, since I had already shown him to you in THIS DOLL SHOW POST.

  The Baps family I keep seeing was there again. 

These guys, in this picture from the same post as the guy above.

  I told the seller about my recent Baps snag. I thought it might suggest to her that she mark them down a bit, but she was oblivious. She now has them in a case where the shelves are too short for the parents, and she bent the dad to sit down and the mom she just crammed back in with her head crushed and her neck a bit bent!

  I saw lots of dolls I'd seen before, including one doll I wanted to photograph for you at a show a while back, but my camera battery died before I got to her! She was there, and she was still beautiful. It was this Shirley Temple:


She's a huge, all original, 30's, compo Shirley Temple in her original box. 


If I were rich she would definitely have come home with me.

  When I first walked in I saw this display.


Funny how different things hit different people. You may have seen Barb's post on this doll show over at My Little Doll Corner. She focused on the large Cissy bride doll on the row above these guys. You can just see the bottom of her dress. But I LOVED the hat stand heads!


This one is my favourite.





Barb mentioned that this doll reminded her of me. Well she was one I liked! Good spot Barb!


  We were also both impressed by this beautiful lady.


Barb identified her as a Kestner Gibson Girl doll. She's way out of my price range, but I love her intelligent face.

  Look at this sweet lady. She was a First Place ribbon winner.


This was a matching set.


I don't know why, maybe it's connected to my love for miniature things, but I always love dolls who have their own dolls. 


  She has a cloth face, but her little dolls have what looks to be bisque faces? 
Look at the faces on these two. I guess he is a little spooky...


The proportions on this lady were a little strange, but she was nice. (I could say the same for a lot of people, I guess.) She's a Layna doll, made in Spain.


I think all three of these are Schoenhut dolls. Schoenhuts always have such disinterested faces, but there's something about them. I also love that they are very jointed and posable.


How did Mary Poppins get in with this crowd of expensive antique dolls? I guess she is an antique these days, but she isn't near the price of the others. Either this dealer had one much cheaper doll, or the other two were slumming.



This carved wooden doll had jointed knees. She was about 12 inches tall.



Look at these two pretty girls. The one in blue had kid leather arms.


  Looks like someone has come between Snow White and Dopey, but really, it's all a blur. (Ha.Sorry about the focusing problem.)


  There were a lot of great dolls, but I didn't take very many pictures this time. I was affected by the lady who told me I couldn't photograph her dolls the last time I went to a show. Even though I was told I could photograph their dolls by loads of dealers after her, this time around I still had that lingering  'I've been yelled at' feeling , and just didn't feel like pushing my luck. Nobody refused me this time, but then, I didn't ask many dealers if I could photograph their dolls, thus the limited number of pictures for this post. 

  Prices were good. I got some real deals. I'll show you what I got in some upcoming posts. See you soon.

7 comments:

  1. All the dolls were interesting. The Norwegians intrigued me (what were they marked as? I ask because I am a bit miffed that AG once copied Norwegian national costumes, a Norwegian knitted sweater and the man-and-wife knitted hat fattern that is also very Norwegian and then called their girl a Swede (or maybe she was American and the parents from Sweden?)

    Shirley is especially cute.

    And I also liked Buffy from Barb's post. I have never seen that show, but I got her since I have other Tutti sized dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirsten Larson is a historical American Girl doll; she and her family immigrate to America from Sweden. She's probably the one that you're thinking of. I'm surprised that they got that wrong; the original founder of American Girl seemed to put a lot of research into the dolls.

      I do have one question for you though. Since Kirsten is Swedish, should her last name be spelled Larsen? My daughter went to a dance studio taught by a woman with the last name of Larsen, and one of the girls that also attended had a strong Swedish background. Her mother said that they came to that studio because the name was spelled in the Swedish manner.

      Delete
    2. I don't know what they were marked. Sorry.
      I don't think it's necessary to have watched "Family Affair" to enjoy Buffy. She's a cute little thing, and fits right in with the Tutti crowd. I have my childhood one that I got when I asked for a Mrs. Beasley.

      Delete
    3. Yes. That is the doll that I was thinking of. Her winter clothes are typically Norwegian.

      I am sure that there are Swedes called "Larsen," but in my mind "Larson"/"Larsson" is the Swedish spelling and "Larsen"/"Larssen" the Norwegian...

      There once was a famous Swedish painter called Carl Larsson. In some of his drawings, the girls were clothes similar to Norwegian national costumes. But Kirsten's (the AG doll) costume looks typically Norwegian.

      Look at these links:
      Norwegian national costume:
      http://www.setesdalhusflid.no/?menuid=2

      "Fana"cardigan:
      https://garnmagasinet.no/fanakofte-med-rundfelling-xs-xxl-finull

      And someone's whole text about the AG doll and her clothes:
      https://studioquirk.com/weblog/2019/11/10/the-kirsten-project-changes-for-kirsten?format=amp



      Delete
    4. Thank you for the links; they're very informative.

      Delete
  2. So strange seeing pictures of the same things from your point of view! I know you like Lenci dolls; I'm mainly only interested in them because of the connection to Edith, The Lonely Doll. I saw the big Shirley Temple caught your eye too, but I also liked the Patsy and another Schoenhut doll to her left.

    I liked the vintage photos, like the one in your picture of the lady with the kid arms, but they were mostly pretty expensive. I did buy one I'll be showing on my blog later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Funny we both photographed some of the same things out of all the stuff at the show. I do love felt faced dolls. I saw that Shirley at a show last year. I wanted to photograph her then, but my battery died. I like alot of the very expensive dolls. I can't buy them, but I love to look.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.