Friday, August 6, 2021

Antique Malls, Spielwaren, Erna Meyer, Highway Dolls Update, and The Lonely Doll

   As I have been saying, Ken and I have been going on 'Fun Day' on his days off. I'm going to have to rethink that as the virus numbers continue to rise. But at the moment, with us both vaccinated and still wearing masks, we have still been going, but keeping socially distanced and sanitizing like crazy after touching ANYTHING. Anyway, one of the things that constitutes 'fun', (For me, at least. Sorry Ken!), is antiques stores. This week we went to an antique mall where we saw these wonderful things. I thought you guys might like a look at them too.


There were two of them. 


They were described as "Rare Vintage 1950's Speilwaren German Miniature room boxes".



There was a bedroom and a music room, and they were being sold for $3499! They were beautiful, but that seems a bit steep! A similar Speilwaren bedroom box, without dolls, was sold by Theriault's for $750, and that was above it's auction estimate of $500-700. (You can see it HERE.) Proxibid sold a similar music room, peopled by eight Baps dolls for $600. (You can see it HERE.)


 Both of these rooms are inhabited by Erna Meyer dolls. (You can see my Erna Meyer doll HERE.) Having the dolls adds to the cost, but Erna Mayer dolls are not that expensive, even if these are special dolls dressed in styles from the Rococo era. Mind you, almost everything in this antique mall was very overpriced. 

  Ken finally got around to sending me the pictures he took with his phone, at another antique mall we went to a few weeks ago, of some other things I wanted to show you. First of all, there's this guy.


  He was described as a French mailman, and he had a wonderful little leather satchel. But, the thing is, he's obviously related to this guy. 


This is one of the Highway Dolls that we rescued. I offered him to anybody, free except for the cost of shipping. He's a little worse for wear, having been wet, (It was a rainy day on the highway.), and is probably missing a hat, but the other guy was priced at $70! (And that antique mall had normal prices.). Even with his rainy highway history, that makes this guy a great deal for only the cost of shipping! He's still here if anybody wants him. Unfortunately, the other guy wasn't labelled either, so we still don't know who made them.

  The other things I had Ken photograph for me were these books.


If you read my post on the Lonely Doll books you will have read mention of the out of print "Edith and Big Bad Bill". Well here it is! I was very curious to get a look inside, but it was locked up, and I hated to bother someone to unlock it so I could stand there and read it, while not buying it because it was $145!


 I am curious though, as to why this book about prejudice is the only Lonely Doll book that hasn't been reprinted. I've added these pictures to my Lonely Doll post. 

  That's it for today. See you again soon.

6 comments:

  1. Try googling gendarme doll or poupees des marly and I think you'll find him.
    Personally I think he looks a bit like Hitler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Found him right away. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. No, no! 🤣

      I do not think that he looks like Hitler. Seeing the dolls that come up while searching "gendarme" I think that he looks like a combination of Clouseau from "The Pink Panther" and Hercule Poirot when he was a young police man.

      Delete
  2. Your fun day sounds like fun. Thanks for sharing the photos of the doll settings that cost a gazillion dolls. It is nice to see what I can purchase when I win the lottery (if I every play it - laugh).

    I still distance and wear masks too. When I go to the supermarket, I still wear disposable rubber gloves.

    I did go to two doll conventions this Summer. I was very careful and wore my mask except at the meal events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them. At least if we can't afford them, we can look. Right? I don't do the gloves. I read that they were discouraged because then everybody think they can touch everything because they are wearing gloves, and they spread germs even worse. I use one hand to touch things, and one hand to lock and unlock my car, and pull out my hand sanitizer, (which I carry in my no touch side pocket!), and I don't touch ANYTHING of mine before sanitizing! Luckily my little pocket sanitizer has a lid that's easy to pop open with one hand. I sanitize before even getting in my car, and I definitely don't touch the wheel or anything until I sanitize. If I've handled a lot of stuff, like in an antique mall, I use sanitizing wipes to get the grubbiness off better...and THEN I sanitize! Yes, I am an obsessive about this stuff. I am NOT getting Covid. Stay safe Dorothy.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.