Sunday, October 13, 2019

Doll -A-DAy 2019 #286: My Vacation Find,Bend Leg Skipper

  Well the weather certainly has turned! It was in the 40's,and about 50 yesterday. At the moment it's 66 degrees, but it's freezing in the house! It supposedly got down in the 30's last night. I finally had to shut the bedroom window, no matter how sorry I felt for Ken, who is always hot. I also slept with socks on. I was cold!
  Ivy is on a trip to Canada right now. She called and talked to us during her all night layover in North Carolina. Why in the world would you have to fly from Indiana to North Carolina to fly to New York, to fly to Canada?!
  First I have to apologize for the poor quality of today's photos. It was late before I knew it and I was losing light. I had to take my photos quickly,unable to see clearly to focus because it was darker than I thought. I was also talking to Lori on the phone at the same time! I had her on speaker phone, but I still had to stay close to it.I was also not wanting to spend too much time taking pictures because I wanted to talk to Lori. So.
   Today's doll is the last of my finds from vacation. I found her on our last day of vacation,at an antique/junk store in the middle of nowhere. I hadn't had  many chances to stop at antique stores on the trip, and we were one day away from home. This place popped up out of the countryside. When I walked in the door there was a basket just inside,next to the door. It was full of dolls. Some were 70's and 80's Skippers. There was a Chris,which was in such bad shape that I left her behind. There was the Tutti and the Cricket I already showed you. There was also this girl.
 ***UPDATE*** I forgot to include her 'before' photos. Here she is 'as found'.






 



  She's a bend leg Skipper.


Bend leg Skipper came out in 1965. The first version was what is called a 'tan skinned' doll. It always looks more like gray skin to me.


The pink skinned version, which is what this girl is,came out the following year,and continued in 1967.
 

This girl needs some eyebrow work.



Her lips are faded to what is referred to as 'butter lips'. It's not uncommon.



Something else that's common with the bend leg Skipper dolls is that their bangs tend to  stand on end.




 This Skipper's bangs aren't too bad comparatively.

She's wearing the coat to the 1970-71 Skipper fashion Pink Princess.


  That's the doll for today. See you tomorrow for another doll.

7 comments:

  1. As weird as this may sound I like dolls with butter lips! Good find, as usual.

    Oh Lordy, this past summer my sister flew from Lexington, Kentucky to Burlington, Vermont, and she had to fly through Charlotte, North Carolina to do it. Due to foul weather around either Burlington or Charlotte her flight was delayed and canceled multiple times. She ended up spending a day and a half at Charlotte. So she'd understand what Ivy is facing right now. It was a mess. I hope Ivy gets where she needs to go without a lot of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't like butter lips. I do have one butter lipped Skipper that I have warmed to over time.
      Ivy had a nice trip once she finally got there!

      Delete
  2. Hi! I just found your blog by chance. Are you going to give the doll a make over? I think a visit to the spa would do her a world of good. :)
    Hugs,
    Xanadu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Glad you could join us. Thank you for asking that. I forgot to include her 'before' pictures. She has actually been to the spa. She does still need a makeover though! I might touch up those eye brows,but I'll leave the lips alone.

      Delete
  3. I like that coat she's wearing, the green and pink work well together.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like her, she's a little dirty but looks like she will clean up nicely. The coat looks good on her. I am so glad you had a nice vacation! And good timing, because I think this is a few months before COVID hit. Sounds like Ivy had a nice time too, other than her maze based travel plan.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.