Sunday, October 6, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #278: What I DId on My Vacation Part 4 & Belle

  Before I forget, if anybody lives within driving distance of Wilmington Ohio, the BIG doll show is back, and will be held there, at Roberts Center, tomorrow from 10 to 4. The show seems like it will be back to it's old glory, with loads of sellers. I'm going, but all by myself. I wish I had someone to go with, but Ken has to work,Emma has a radio job in the morning, and Ivy is at college. I don't know any doll people in my vicinity. I could use a co-pilot too. I hope I don't get lost! If I do make it,I'll take pictures for you.
  The doll of the day is at the bottom of the post if you want to skip ahead, but if you do, shame on you, because this post was a lot of work. 
  Today we're back to my vacation, with part 2 of my trip to the Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta, Georgia. I have always been interested in puppets. One of the jobs I considered as a kid was puppeteer. I'm not sure I ever had the arm strength for it!
  After the Jim Henson exhibit the museum flowed into a general puppet exhibit. Here's the first thing I saw when I walked in.


Remember Wayland Flowers and Madam? They, (They?) were popular in the 70's and 80's, and Madam,(without Wayland,at least, on screen.), even had her own syndicated situation comedy called "Madam's Place".
  Actually, the first thing I saw when I walked in was a screen that was showing Topo Gigio. I have always loved Topo. (You can see my post about Topo Gigio HERE.) I was hoping they would have a Topo puppet, but they didn't.  They did have some beautiful and fascinating puppets though,from all over the world.



These bigger than life size ladies are meant to be actresses Mae West and Carol Channing.


  There was someone else I recognized right away. Gumby!



He's Gumby dammit.


Gumby was the creation of Art Clokey. I knew Gumby from my childhood, and have several Gumby dolls from then. (They kept wearing out, so I got new ones. I just never threw out the old ones. I even have one with no legs. They got floppy and my sister cut them off.) Then when Emma was little Gumby began showing on Nickelodeon. We watched it every day. Emma had her own collection of Gumby figures. You can see my post on Tammy World's tiny Gumby and Pokey dolls HERE. I don't remember this guy though:




Santa Claus was there.



These two figures from "The Corpse Bride" were over a foot tall,probably closer to 20 inches.
 






The bride's dress looked rubbery up close, kind of like one of those plastic or rubber doily type place mats. It had beautiful detailing in the texture. Look very closely at her bodice here.


Her train looked very rubbery.
I sent my friend Lisa, (You may know her from my visit to Texas post HERE.) pictures of these guys from Mystery Science Theater 3000, because she loves it. Joel Hodgson, the creator, is on tour with a farewell show. Lisa is getting her tickets soon.

 




 Punch and Judy are some of the oldest puppets that Western people still recognize and know the names of today.


These puppets weren't familiar, but were interesting to look at.



For some reason I really liked this lady.


I think this is who she was.

 

This guy was with her. They're described as hand and rod puppets. I don't see the rods though.


They were quite big.
I mentioned rods yesterday. If you don't remember what they are or how they're used, you can go to yesterday's post, or my post on puppets HERE.
   This guy was beautiful.


And this guy was a work of art.


This whole display was beautiful. The puppets were amazing. I would love to see them performed. They're from the play, "Mignon".






 She looks like some actress, but I can't think of who it is.
 

This guy is pretty old.



This mean looking guy was very primitive.


These huge masks from the stage production of The Lion King actually have moving parts. Imagine how heavy these things would be to wear and perform in.
 



This wooden horse looks like he's having leg problems.


Chinese marionettes.


What a lot of work must have gone into all this. Not just the puppets, but the stage too.




These were all very old. The clothes were worn and faded on the ones above.

 

These are what's known as Bunraku puppets. Bunraku is a form of traditional Japanese puppetry.



This is an Indian puppet from The Story of Rama and Sita.


These are traditional rod puppets from Indonesia.
 

Another oldie.



I think I have these cards with the right puppets.




Those eye lids are weird.
I'm fairly sure the card is right for this one. I really like her.





This card is definitely right.



This Mad Hatter was so great!


I want him!

The little guy reminds me of the figures in Disney's It's a Small World.



This old lady has an amazing face.






This is an interesting thing.


I think the mask is worn by someone. It opens up and there is that creepy little guy inside. It's huge though,almost the size of the Lion King masks.

We came out of the exhibit and back to the Henson exhibit.



 There was a whole "Dark Crystal" exhibit independent from the Henson one. That's where we went next.


There was an Augra there, but she was way smaller than the one at the Henson exhibit we went to in Columbus.


I had a terrible time getting a decent photo of the other Augra, and this one was no better. The good one above is Ken's photo.



I really don't know what I'm going to do about my auto focus having gone out. It's hard to focus manually in low light, because I can't see that well in low light.

 

This picture is Ken's.

The Henson exhibit next door had an empty Kira costume. This exhibit actually had Jen's costume and he was in it.






This puppet of the mystic was performed with a person inside, hunched down. So it was person sized.



The style of illustrator Brian Froud is really obvious in this guy's face.
Another of Ken's pictures.

Bowl o' body parts.




Nice picture Ken.
 Ken took a better picture of this guy than I did too.







How cute is this guy?


He's a pod person.

These were from gross to pretty.

Gross...

Kind of cute and kind of gross...

This spider was actually kind of pretty in a way. It's made of glass.
 


The Skeksis

 


Darn it Ken!
 There was a maquette of the guy we saw the finished version of above.


There as also a maquette of a skeksis. Remember, I told you what a maquette is yesterday.



And there were some heads.




These guys are missing their 'skin' so you can see how they're made.







There were hands too.

This one is the prototype of the Chamberlain's hand.

Pod people costumes.





And it was back out towards the lobby.


We made a stop at the gift shop, which I had checked out while I waited for Ken to go to the car for my camera,which I had forgotten. What did we buy? Show them Tammy...


This was part of the gifts we brought back for Emma's friend Erin, who was helping look after our cats while we were gone. Erin has somehow started a collection of 'tiny hands. Just so you know, we brought her other things too!
  Outside the building there was this tiny door...even a tinier scale than the hand!



  On the way back to Lori's we stopped to eat, because we hadn't eaten anything all day.


It wasn't the best.
   Maybe we should have just gone on, because after we left the restaurant and had been driving for a while I started seeing lightening in the clouds. It kept going on, but there was no rain. It got dark and the lightening was still happening without rain. Then it hit. And I do mean hit. It rained so hard it was raining sideways. It rained so hard I couldn't see. There was nowhere to pull off the road, so all I could do was keep driving, albeit very slowly. I drove for half and hour at about 40 miles an hour, or just under or over. 30 MILES. Finally the rained ended. Not stopped. Ended. It carried on without us as we drove out of it. I should have expected it,because  rain follows me everywhere I go. The first time I went to England they had 'the rainiest Spring in recent memory', and the rainiest April in I forget how many years. The first time I went to Texas to see Lisa they were having a drought. The dry weather held out as long as it could, but as I was leaving for the airport it started to rain and there were flash floods. It rains everywhere I go. It rained on the days of both my parents funerals. I think it even rained on my wedding day. My theme song should be "Weather With You".
  Now today's doll. While we were at Lori's she took us to an antique store, where I found this girl.
 

She's Belle.


She's obviously not an antique.


From what I can tell she's from 2013.


I think she's the Belle from the second series of the Disney Animator's Collection dolls.


Her hair was a wreck when I got her, and she's still only about halfway though her rehabilitation.
 

As you can see, the right side is farther along than the left.
I was working on her today, but my light was going, and I had no other doll for today because I am trying to keep the dolls relevant to the vacation posts. I'm also trying to keep them in chronological order according to when I got them. This doll was the second one I got on vacation, after the Queen of Hearts.

 

The hair seems to be a problem on some of these Animator's dolls. Belle has hair like the Merida I found at Goodwill. Dry and matted and crispy.
 

About halfway through her photo shoot her forehead curl started turning the other way and wouldn't lay properly. I gave up and wiped it aside altogether.

Her eyes almost look like inset eyes, but they are only painted.
These dolls are about 16 inches tall.


The first version of Belle came in the blue and white dress. This one has her toddler version of the Belle ball gown.




 She has a smaller head than Sleeping Beauty. That girl has a big noggin!
 

Click 'Disney Animator's...' in the side bar to see more of my Disney Animator's Collection dolls.

 

Here are more pictures of Belle because she's so cute.





  That's it. I'm off to bed so I can get up early for the doll show tomorrow. I will see you after the show!

11 comments:

  1. This puppetry exhibit looks so fascinating. I don’t know much about puppetry, but the artistry that goes into them is amazing.

    We have this same Belle doll. You’re right that the hair on these Animators is not very good. My daughter’s Belle also has dry, frizzy, tangled hair, which is currently put back in a pony tail to contain the mess. Her face is so sweet and is probably my next favorite after Pocahontas and Rapunzel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's only some of the Animator's dolls that have that problem hair. I have Elsa, Anna,Merida,Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella,Rapunzel,and Ariel too, and of all those, only Merida and Belle seem to have that dry, ratty hair.

      Delete
  2. Belle is very pretty.

    Wow, I had no idea there were so many puppets out there. I grew up with Howdy Doody so I remember the puppets from his show.

    I did a little research on the Buffalo Historical Marionettes. They were an African-American marionette company that was formed in the 1930s in New York through the WPA program. It seems that there were a few puppet theaters during that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The WPA created all sorts of jobs. My grampa worked for the WPA for a while. (I guess plastering jobs were scarce during the war.) Maybe we should have something like the WPA now!

      Delete
  3. Tam, I love reading your posts! The puppets are fascinating. I think the one looks like the actress Dame Maggie Smith. My middle daughter collects the Disney animator toddlers, and they are adorable! I collect a little bit of everything doll-related, and I thought of you yesterday when I stopped at a storage unit sale and got a German 18" doll, limited and signed by the artist, for $3! Your blog info is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth! That's so nice to hear! Some posts are an extraordinarily extra work,(Like this one and the Muppet ones. They took forever!),and it's so great to hear that someone appreciated it. And now I really want to see your $3 doll!

      Delete
  4. I'm exhausted from your trip, you must be worn out from actually doing the whole thing!!! Such great places to visit though and I see a little stowaway is coming home with you too!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm gonna have to visit this museum, it looks really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wask but smaller than I would have thought.

      Delete
  6. I love the Belle doll but the puppets were awesome. I had to look really close to see what Tammy was showing, even after you told us. lol

    I am enjoying going on your vacation with you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.