Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #43: Raggedy Andy Superflex Doll

  I think I may have sorted the problem with the day 35 Ashley Maxie friend post. Somehow it had back dated itself and was dated as last July! So it was buried in last year's posts. I have changed the date to what it should have been,and reposted it. So let me know if you're seeing it now. Does it show up, in the sidebar or search, for you? Does it show up between 34 and 36 when you scroll through the posts?
  Our weather has been crazy. Yesterday we had snow on the ground,rain coming down,and fog. Today,the rain had stopped, the snow was all gone,and tonight the wind is rattling the windows.
 Now,onto the doll. Today's doll is this little guy.

As you can see from his pants, the paint gets funny after a while.
He's obviously Raggedy Andy..minus his nose!


He did originally have one, but from what I found in researching these dolls, they frequently have lost their nose. I may have to paint him one.
  
"What's the matter with my nose?!"

He stands about 6" tall.


 Andy was made by Lakeside in 1967.


He's a 'Superflex' doll.

This Superflex doll display reads 'Twists and bends into 1000's of funny positions!'
 The package for Raggedy Ann and Andy read,'He sits, stands, bends, and twists, in thousands of lovable positions'.


Raggedy Ann and Andy are just so lovable. Even their bendy positions are 'lovable'.

"Why can't I be funny?"


Lakeside made a lot of the 'Superflex' dolls, including Raggedy Ann, Gumby and his horse pal Pokey. (You can see a post on my mini Gumby and Pokey HERE.),Popeye, The Green Hornet, Captain America, Smokey the Bear,and Disney characters like Donald Duck. In 1968 they made Super Mini-Flex figures. Those were about 2 1/2" tall. I have a Mini-Flex Raggedy Ann I'll show you some day.

He has molded hair and clothes in the back as well.
I always loved Raggedy Ann and Andy, and wanted the dolls for years when I was a kid. This guy kind of reminds me of the Raggedy Andy I got for Christmas one year. I had been longing for a Raggedy Ann and Andy, and that Christmas  I got...a Raggedy Gretel and a foam rubber Raggedy Andy! The Gretel was at least a rag doll. I still have her and she still looks fairly new...because I could never love her. She was cold feeling and she just wasn't Ann. I didn't hate her, I just never really had any affection for her. I kind of liked the Andy. He wasn't what I wanted, but he did at least resemble the real thing, and he was kind of neat. He was made of foam rubber, and had wires in his body so he could be posed all sorts of ways. I had learned my lesson from a lot of my previous toys though, so I was afraid to bend him too much and make a wreck of him. If he hasn't melted away to nothing he's still in my attic. I need to rescue him. Gretel's up there too. I did finally get a real Raggedy Ann and Andy. You can see them in their post HERE. I even made some miniature ones you can see HERE.


That's all for today. See you tomorrow for another doll.

8 comments:

  1. Lol Ashley is showing up between 36 and 37, so not perfect but I would definitely say close enough.
    I asked for a Raggedy Ann doll for Christmas as a kid. Instead I got a Raggedy Andy too. But this one was sort of like a doll shaped pillow with a picture of Raggedy Andy printed on each side. It's hard to explain but I know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had to come here and comment that I found a Sun Splash Ashley doll today at the thrift store. I've never found one before. I thought that was a funny coincidence after your posts on the Maxie dolls. Thanks for helping me ID her since I wasn't positive who she was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Ashley post shows up between 36 and 37 when I scroll through the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This doll is new to me. He does need a nose (laugh). I like the way that he is giving the thumbs up sign in the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of it that way,but you're right.it does look like that.

      Delete
  5. Yes I'm sure I saw Ashley, although I'm going through so many posts to catch up, that I might be mistaken!
    This is a cute little fellow, shame about his lack of a nose, you must draw one on for them, poor fellow!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have 1 of these minus right hand. Any idea of worth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't worth a lot anyway, so missing a hand, probably nothing.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.