Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 # 50: Honey Drop Cupcakes Doll

  Today's doll is this small girl.


She's a Cupcakes doll.


She is from a series called Sugar and Shine,and her name is Honey Drop.


Cupcakes were originally made by Tonka in 1990. This was followed by Kenner made Cupcakes in 1991 and 1992.  (Tonka was purchased by Hasbro in 1991. Kenner was one of Hasbro's subsidiaries.) This doll is from the brief comeback in the late 90's. She's from 1998,and made by Fun Source.



The dolls were revived again by various other companies in the early 2000's and mid 2010's.

  These dolls had two gimmicks: When their skirts are turned wrong side out they become a cupcake,with their hats becoming the icing. 




Their other gimmick was, they were scented to match their theme flavour. I'm not sure if the Fun Source dolls had the scent. They were considered to be reissues of the original Tonka dolls,and look very similar.

 

She has a painted on top under the cloth skirt's high waist.


The cloth skirts were removable. This one is still stitched to the rubber skirt/cupcake.



She would also have come with a comb that had a hook on it so it could hang on her wrist.
She has no legs,and is jointed at the neck and shoulders. 

Her arms can be moved independently from each other, but they seem to prefer moving together.


You can watch a commercial for the Tonka Cupcake dolls HERE. You can watch a commercial for a  later version of the dolls HERE.


This isn't a doll that really apeals to me. I got her accidentally in a bag of thrift store dolls. She won't be staying, but I thought while she was here, some of you might find her interesting.


  Tomorrow will be another doll. Please join us then.

14 comments:

  1. You were lucky to find her with her hat . I have found several at the thrift store but none had the hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've seen several with no hats or cloth skirts. I'm pretty sure the girls had some like that.

      Delete
  2. This one's adorable! My old Cupcakes doll has an ever-so-slightly devious expression (LOL). This one I think is trustworthy, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Devious?! Wow! My son thought the same thing about the Charmin Chatty I had at the bottom of our stairs! He had to pass her all the time and finally told me he was afraid of her and her sideways stare. I had to introduce them, and after that all was well.

      Delete
  3. I loved these as a little girl. Thanks, you brought a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  4. I love your blog and your doll a day posts. I don’t know if I’ve ever commented before, but I read your blog consistently and even go back and read posts from previous years. I especially love when you tell the stories of how various dolls in your collection were acquired. I love your “yard sale tales”. I also love that many of your dolls are thrifted, because that’s what I do too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad somebody reads those Yard Sale Tales! I have a LOT of thrifted dolls. It's an affordable way to collect. Another way, which I haven't done lately, is to buy lots,either at auction or online,that have something I want, and something I can sell to pay for the lot. I got a whole case of Skippers that way once,(One of which was a sample/test market doll, and one who was a Color Magic!),with clothes,and all I had to sell was the Betsy McCall cowgirl outfit that was in the case too. Both of those dolls have been featured on the blog,by the way. The Sample was wearing Skipper on Wheels,ans the Color Magic was wearing Tea Party,if you want to check them out.

      Delete
    2. I remember your posts about the case of Skippers and your sample Skipper - who is absolutely beautiful! I’ve never really cared much for the look of many vintage dolls, but all your posts about vintage dolls - and especially your Skippers - has made me want to get a few them. I do some online shopping (my watch list on eBay is huge!), but I prefer going to thrift stores in person. None of the thrift stores around me have a good selection of dolls & toys. But that makes it even more special when I do finally find something good. I have yet to find anything truly vintage at any of my thrift stores. Usually I just find dolls from the ‘90’s and early 2000’s. But I keep hoping I’ll make a good vintage find one day.

      Delete
    3. I don't find vintage Barbie and friends or fashion dolls very often, but it has happened. I got a Skooter once, a Living Skipper once, a Midge and a Bubble Cut Barbie for a dollar each,and once I found a beautiful Tammy doll with the rare black cherry hair at a thrift store. Keep looking!

      Delete
  5. What a cute doll. You just want to give her a hug.
    I am off to the Madame Alexander Doll Club weekend event. I will check back in on Sunday when I return.
    I promise to read all of the posts so I don't fall behind the class (laugh). (Sorry, retired teacher humor.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep up Dorothy. There will be a quiz later!

      Delete
  6. I had to go and watch the adverts, they're funny little doll and cute too.
    Of course as you would expect from me, I've never seen or heard of them before LOL
    I really did live under a rock, didn't I!!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking you didn't have kids at the appropriate time to have seen them. I missed a lot of things that way.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.