Friday, September 15, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #250: James Cagney as James M. Cohan

   I almost made it out of the first doll show that weekend without buying a single thing. And then I saw this guy. I had been wanting one for these for several years.


 I have mentioned before that I like dolls of real people that actually look like them, and I like Jimmy Cagney. So this doll was one I'd had my eye on.


He was made by Effanbee in 1987, as part of their 'Legends' series, that also included Humphrey Bogart as Rick from "Casablanca", and John Wayne in a couple of his iconic roles, and W.C. Fields. (W.C. Fields was always W.C. Fields.)




This particular Jimmy Cagney doll represents him as he appeared as James M. Cohan in the 1942 movie "Yankee Doodle Dandy".

These dolls have limited articulation, but his arms and legs do move, and his head turns, although not much. He's 16 inches tall.

He has a really good face. He does look like James Cagney.


He has James Cagney's red hair, and signature center part.



These Effanbee celebrity dolls were usually pretty accurate likenesses.
 

This costume from "Yankee Doodle Dandy" consists of the cloth cap, striped suit with white shirt and cream coloured waistcoat....
 

The front is velvety and the back is silky.

...and a teal cravat with gold toned pin.


He's even wearing spats!


The buttons are in kind of a weird place. They are more on the front than the side. He's also wearing white socks and brown shoes that are removable.


   He would also have originally had a walking stick, as pictured on his tag. 

 "Yankee Doodle Dandy" was based on the life of Broadway composer and star George M. Cohan. James Cagney was perfect for the role, although he had spent most of his career playing gangsters and other tough guys. He's well known for the famous scene in "The Public Enemy", where he mashes a grapefruit in Mae Clarke's face. (Watch that scene HERE.) Like fellow tough guy star George Raft, Cagney started out as a dancer, and always wanted to play musical parts. But, like Raft, he did so well as a tough guy, that he ended up getting type cast, and lost out on the chance to become a musical star. (He even lost out on more sympathetic non musical roles because of type casting. He was considered for the role of Father Flannigan in 1938's "Boy's Town", but the role went to Spencer Tracy. Both were nominated for Oscars that year, Tracy for "Boys Town", and Cagney for his great performance as a criminal in "Angel's With Dirty Faces". Tracy won. Side note: Cagney insisted on not using live ammunition in his movies. On Angel's With Dirty Faces he was told he was to do a scene using live machine gun ammunition. He refused, and it saved his life. When the shots were added later, a bullet ricocheted into the exact spot his head would have been in the scene.) 

  Cagney actually made less than half a dozen musicals in his entire career, something that frustrated him, because he wanted to dance. He made a few musicals early in his career, like 1933's "Footlight Parade", in which he performed the famous musical number "Shanghai Lil". (You can watch it HERE, and yes, it is politically incorrect, but quite enjoyable if you ignore that.) But by the time he starred in Yankee Doodle Dandy, he was already 43 years old. I suppose it says something that he won his only Oscar for "Yankee Doodle Dandy".  You can watch the title number HERE. He made a cameo of sorts as James M. Cohan, in the Bob Hope movie "The Seven Little Foys", in 1955, but his musical roles were nearly past by then. (You can watch that scene, where 56 year old Cagney's dancing is so much more graceful and effortless looking than 52 year old Bob Hope's, HERE.) He made a few musicals that other characters sang and danced in, like "Love Me or Leave Me", also in 1955, which left the singing and dancing to Doris Day, and Cagney went back to a tough guy role. His last musical role was in "Never Steal Anything Small" in 1959, before he retired in 1961. He was lured out of retirement in 1981, for the movie "Ragtime". His last role was in a made for TV movie, "Terrible Joe Moran", in 1984. He passed away in 1986, just a few months before his 87th birthday.

  That's today's doll. See you tomorrow for another doll, but I shall be elsewhere, celebrating our 34th anniversary with Ken.



mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

6 comments:

  1. You lucky duck! :) I too have wanted this doll for years now. Almost bought one over a decade ago, along with the Bogart, from a seller who had them both in still pristine condition and was asking a fair price for them, but I think I had recently splurged on some other doll purchase, so I passed on buying them and to this day regret it.

    Congrats on getting Cagney! He is a great doll and wonderful likeness of one of the best actors of classic film. I've seen just about everything he's ever starred in. Angels with Dirty Faces is my jam. :3 Rocky didn't die yellow, and no one can convince me otherwise. ;)

    Thanks for sharing such great pics of him! Hopefully I'll get my own someday. I'll display him with my Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, and Judy Garland dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which Fred and Ginger do you have? I have the World ones, and they aren't bad likenesses. I have the Effanbee Judy, and I think they did a pretty good job on her too. I have seen the Bogart, and I'd like to have him too. Maybe I'll come across him someday.
      I love James Cagney. I really like Angels With Dirty Faces, Public Enemy and White Heat, but I also like things like Jimmy the Gent and his movies with Joan Blondell.

      Delete
    2. I too have the World Dolls of Fred and Ginger. :) My best Judy Garland is a 16" Madame Alexander called 'Get Happy'. I also have a porcelain doll of her as Dorothy. I believe that one was made by Brass Key.

      Cagney is fantastic! I like all those movies you mentioned. He was great paired with Joan Blondell. I have a soft spot for her and her then-husband, my fellow Arkansan, Dick Powell.

      One Cagney film I've always loved but rarely see mentioned is 'Taxi!', wherein he and George Raft compete in a dance contest, which is fun, but it's mainly famous for the 'You dirty rat, you killed my brother' misquote, LOL.

      Delete
    3. I looked up the Get Happy doll. She is good! I always thought they could have made a really good Judy Garland out of the Mattel Romeo and Juliet Ballet Juliet doll. It's the Mackie face.
      I have read about "Taxi", but I haven't seen it. I actually really liked "He Was Her Man", although it gets bad reviews. I like a lot of those 30's Joan Blondell movies in general. When I was a kid I only knew Joan Blondell from her role as Lottie, the woman who ran the saloon in "Here Come the Brides". When, as an adult, I discovered her old movies, I was really surprised! I don't know what I thought she'd been doing up to "Here Come the Brides". She was one of those people you see and imagine they were always older, and never did anything as a young actor!

      Delete
  2. First, congratulations! I hope you and Ken have a wonderful celebration whatever you do.
    Second, this is a handsome doll and nicely dressed. Effanbee always does a good job with the dolls they create.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.