Saturday, September 16, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #251: Lilly

   Happy anniversary to me and Ken! Today we have been married 34 years. 


I can't believe it's been that long. If you want to read how Ken and I met and got together, and the crazy story of our first date, you can see that post HERE. If you want to read about how I got my antique engagement ring, you can read that HERE. And if you want to read about how I stole Kermit and Miss Piggy's wedding cake topper, that tale is HERE. And with those, I think I am all out of great 'me and Ken' stories!

Today we're looking at another doll from one of the doll shows the other week. Her name is Lilly.



I originally took Lilly's picture at the show, because I was determined not to buy her. But I uh, did...

Lilly is 24 inches tall.

She's a Sigikid doll, made in Germany.





She's #318, out of an edition of 750.


There must have been at least two series' of Lilly dolls, because I have seen dolls described as 'Lilly 1' and 'Lilly 2' dolls. My Lilly is a Lilly 1.


 The 'SE' on her neck is for her designer, Sabine Esche. Lilly was made in 1991, and the following year, Sabine Esche went to work for Gotz, winning the Doll of the Year Eurodoll award. Her dolls weren't the play dolls sold by Gotz, but the more expensive limited edition dolls.
   According to the article I read, Sabine likes to design her dolls around photos of family and friends, but, as with most doll artists, her dolls look a lot like her, and that includes Lilly.


Lilly looks a lot like some of Esche's Gotz dolls, especially Heiderose, and Nele.


Lilly also represents another Sabine Escher trademark: she isn't smiling. Esche likes to have her dolls not smile, so the owner can imagine the doll's feelings themselves. 



She's a very serious looking little girl.


She has a vinyl head and shoulder plate, and arms and legs, with a stuffed cloth torso.



She is made more for a sitting position, with one of those sitting doll bottoms, with the legs positioned farther forward. She can be stood upright, with a stand, but she can't, however, stand on her own.




Her head can turn and tilt a bit.


Lilly has a human hair wig. Ew. That always creeps me out.


  It's long, and braided in back, with a little flower at the end.. It needs tidying up, and she could also do with some cleaning on her face and neck, and her clothes washed.


Her solemn face has hand painted eyes. 


She also has fairly detailed brows, with individual strokes.


This is her original outfit, with dress and undies and ankle socks and Mary Jane shoes.



  As I said, I wasn't going to buy her. I fought it. But she seemed to be such a nice doll, very realistic, and all original, and for such a good price, that I kept feeling I should buy her. Financially I shouldn't have. I might see if I can sell her, because I really don't need her, and she really isn't the type I usually buy. I have to say, she was fun to photograph though.

  That's the doll for today. Tomorrow we'll see a doll that I got...shall we say, at the same time as Lilly. Hmm..... 

4 comments:

  1. Lilly is adorable. I can see why she captured your heart. I have two Gotz Happy Kidz girls, who are more play line dolls.
    I can't wait to read your Ken stories. Happy celebration today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's a terribly sweet little doll. I could've sworn that those eyes were inset, they're so well-painted.

    Wowwee, thirty-four years...I wish my dad had lived long enuff to see that. He and my mama were mad about each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on y'all's anniversary! :)

    That's a very thoughtful-looking doll. I quite like her face.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.