Monday, July 1, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #182: Sample/Test Market Skipper

  Today's doll is yet another Skipper. Some of you may know that I collect Skipper specifically,so I have a lot of them.

 

This doll is what is known as a 'Sample Skipper', or 'Test Market Skipper'. She's wearing a vintage Skipper fashion called Let's Play House. It's a dress and pinafore and blue flats. There should be three coloured hankies in her pockets, but I forgot where I put mine!


Test Market is more accurate.'Sample' suggests that they were made in extremely small numbers and given away, which isn't true. Test Market tells you they were sold early on as normal Skipper dolls, but maybe in smaller numbers than later dolls. That is really what these dolls are. They are the earliest Skippers,sold at the very beginning of production before some final changes were made. So there are a few differences between these girls and the common Skipper dolls most people have. This one is even a little different for a Test Market Skipper.


For one thing, the word 'Skipper' is printed heel to toe on the bottom of the foot,instead of across the width of the foot,like later, regular Skippers.



The Test Market dolls are supposed to have legs that are made of resin,not plastic. I can't feel the difference. They have a slightly wider stance than later Skippers,and shorter,thicker legs. There are a couple of different stance widths even amongst Test Market dolls. This one doesn't have a super wide stance as some Test Market dolls do.

Regular Skipper on the left, Today's girl on the right.
Regular Skipper on top. Test Market on the bottom.

Another difference is the size of the feet. Test Market dolls have bigger feet. The thing is, this doll has slightly wider feet, but they aren't that much bigger overall.

Regular Skipper on the left,Test Market on the right.
With the feet mixed up here,regular,Test Market, regular, Test Market,it's hard to see much size difference. But the word 'Skipper' is printed the right direction for each doll.

Regular left, TM on the right. See what I mean? Just a slight width difference, barely enough to notice.

The Test Market girl does have the typical non-flat feet of the TM dolls though. Regular Skippers have flat feet.
 

The TM Skippers have slightly tippy toed feet,like maybe they were originally going ot make her shoes with short heels.
Test Market dolls typically have what I describe as a 'powdery' complexion.
 
My leeks are once again seeding before getting big enough to eat! Why do they always do that?!





They also have a double row of bangs,sometimes more, and the hair is a different type of fiber than the standard Skipper dolls too.






  The body is marked '1' on the right cheek.


There is no printing on the inside of the neck rim of these dolls. That's a way to identify the heads. Be careful when trying to remove the head on a vintage doll though. Kids used to head swap all the time, but with age the vinyl has sometimes become weak,causing the neck to tear or split when removed or returned to the neck knob.
 

  There's a great page for identifying vintage Skipper dolls,which you can see HERE.
  That's today's doll.

13 comments:

  1. Here's a story about me being an idiot. Nearly 20 years ago I got a vintage Skipper at a collector's fair. A few years later I realised there were no markings that said "Skipper" or "Mattel" on the back of her head. I worried for years that she was a fake and I'd been ripped off. It wasn't until about six months ago that I noticed that she is clearly marked Skipper on her bum! Despite all my worry, I had never looked at her closely enough to see that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow Rachael.That's a long time to miss that. Did you never redress her? I find I miss a lot of things these days because I don't wear glasses! I should,but I broke my bifocals. I can't see to function for daily life if I wear my others because they are just for close-up.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the detail you provided. I did not have a Skipper and could not tell the difference. Now I will be able to.
    I hope you are feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has turned to rain and cooled a bit, thank goodness!

      Delete
  3. I do believe I have a Skipper around here somewhere but I cannot remember where! I got a bunch of dolls from Ebay, and there she was amongst them! I remember cleaning her body and removing the marks on her face and then goodness knows what happened to her!!!
    I like this girl of yours though and she looks lovely in that blue outfit!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor lost Skipper! You'll have to find her and let her see the light of day again.

      Delete
  4. When identifying a test market Skipper, should the number on her butt be a 1 or 2 and say the word Skipper? Or can it be any number?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Test market Skipper's should only have a 1 or a 2 on their bottoms, no other numbers, as those would be later Skippers. There should also be no markings on the inner rim of the head, (The head has to be removed to check.) For lots of information, check out Emily's Skipper page at https://vintageskippertreasuretrove.jimdofree.com/ She's the expert.

      Delete
  5. You said she says Skipper on her foot, but she says Japan. I don't know if you wanted to know that. lol I like the powdery looks of these sample Skippers. Their colors appear closer to realistic for some reason. And what a cute outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Her body might be test market but the head is not. Test market Skippers had different color hair,different bangs lengths longer bangs then yours. I don't she is a test market skipper because test market dolls don't look like the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to disagree. She totally looks like a test market. I have several, and they all have those beautiful complexions. And test market dolls did come in different hair colours, with thickly rooted bangs, which this one has, of various lengths.. The real test would be to remove her head and check the markings on the inner ring. I can't do that right now, since we aren't at our house for the time being, as it caught fire a week and a half ago. I'll check when I can. Until then, I refer you to the expert: https://vintageslskipper.jimdofree.com/sample-test-market-dolls-prototypes/

      Delete
    2. I went to the website just out of curiosity and how interesting! Even if you aren't trying to figure out what doll you have, the page is worth a read.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.