Thursday, July 25, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #205: The Sun Set Malibu P.J.

   Another kitten found a home today,and another one might have. That would leave us with only 2 kittens left. Ivy would like to keep one of them. In fact, she would have liked to have kept  the one who found a home today too.

Ivy and Morgana.
 

But we already have too many cats,so Ivy was very brave about it. It made me really sad to say goodbye to the little guys,but they will be far better off with someone who can give them attention and room to roam.
 Today's doll is enjoying summer. She's this lady.


She's The Sun Set Malibu P.J..




She was produced in 1972,as part of the 'The Sun Set' series of Malibu Barbie and friends.


The name is actually 'The Sun Set',as in a 'set' of people who like the sun,and not 'sunset',as in the evening sunset. To make things easier to say most people just call the dolls 'Sunset Malibu'.


The Sun Set Malibu P.J. was the first P.J. doll to have the popular Steffie head sculpt. Previously P.J. had the old Midge head sculpt.



Collector's love the Steffie head sculpt. It's even been used fairly recently.




This is her original lavender swimsuit.




As you may have noticed,the hook has come unsewn on her straps. 


This is also her fringed yellow towel.



She originally had the same multicoloured beaded elastic bands on her ponytails as the original P.J. dolls.


She has a twist waist.


And she's old enough that Barbie knees still bent realistically when she was made.






There were three more Malibu P.J. dolls made after The Sun Set, Sun Lovin' in 1978,Sunsational in 1981,and Sun Gold in 1983.
 


That's the doll for today. See you again tomorrow for another one.

11 comments:

  1. Good ol' P.J.! We don't see enough of her these days, and this one is a pretty one. Can't beat the Steffie head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's definitely better looking than Malibu Barbie! And I love Stacey,who loaned her head sculpt to M.B. It just didn't come off as well as the original!

      Delete
  2. The pictures of Ivy and the kitten - so cute!! The doll is also very cute. I do like a Steffie faced Barbie doll. I think some of my very favorite dolls in my collection have the Steffie face. My very favorite is the Hispanic Barbie doll from 1980. What I don’t like is the swimsuit. I’m not fond of any of the Malibu Barbie swimsuits from the late 70’s. I find them ill fitting and unflattering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morgana was Ivy's favourite from the beginning. She was glad to know that Morgana's new mom won't be changing her name!
      All that nylon! Ug! It looks and feels cheap.

      Delete
  3. Well she certainly looks like a sun lover. I think she has on a bit too much eye makeup for being in the sun (laugh). She definitely fits in with the heat wave we have been having.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's certainly not like me. I could never wear makeup in the summer!

      Delete
  4. For some reason, I thought that "Sun Set" turn of phrase was just the coolest thing ever when I got my Malibu Barbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep forgetting how much younger you are. I had a swirl ponytail Barbie.

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous little kitten, I'm glad you were able to rehome it :)
    But I can understand how Ivy would feel sad to let them go.
    I had a similar looking Barbie when I was a child, in fact she was my only Barbie and she was something like a Malibu Barbie, she wore a sky blue swimsuit and I think she had a yellow towel too. In fact I still have her :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had Malibu Barbie but not PJ. Mine was the Sweet Roses PJ instead. I can see why people like the Steffie sculpt so much. It has a sweet face that is less um, sultry than Barbie's tends to be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about less sultry. I mean, look at those lips.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.