Sunday, July 21, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #201: Dime Store Lady

  Wow! It's Day 200 already! Where has the year gone? I know I've spent most of the year so far feeling pretty crappy. I hope that's not going to continue the rest of the year.
  Today's doll is a very small one.


She only measures about 2 and a half inches tall.


  I have referred to her as a 'dime store lady'. For those of you who are too young to remember,or weren't even born during the era of 'dime stores',a 'dime store' was a store that sold miscellaneous items that were all fairly cheap.


 These stores were also called '5 an 10 cent stores'. (Like in  the song "Million Dollar Baby": I found a million dollar baby in a  5 and 10 cent store".) Woolworth,and it's sister chain Woolco were such stores.
She still has her store price tag. She was literally a 'dime doll'.  She's made if a cheap.thin plastic. There were loads of this type of little doll around when I was a kid.


She has a piece of regular hair,but her scarf has come unglued and her hair sticks up strangely.



Luckily she has molded hair too!
 

I have thought about whether or not I should reglue the scarf or just remove it completely.



She's jointed at the shoulders, so she can move her arms.

 Her scarf and her clothes are basically scraps of cloth. Her undies are a little better, and at least she is wearing some.Her shoes are painted on. She has molded  socks,but they aren't painted.
  
Her legs are just part of her one piece body,and can't move. She can't sit down.

 That's today's doll. See you again tomorrow. 

7 comments:

  1. She's cute. She might make a good prop for your dollhouse crew

    ReplyDelete
  2. You get a star for having a doll who still has her Woolworth's tag! Wow, I am strolling down Memory Lane. I spent many fun days in Woolworths. I liked getting my sneakers there (US Keds or PF Flyers) and my jeans (Wranglers).

    This little dolly is precious. I am glad you have decided to hang on to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks Dorothy, but isn't the teacher supposed to give out the stars? I found her,tag and all at a yard sale! (http://planetofthedolls.blogspot.com/2013/08/its-just-another-yard-sale-friday.html) My favourite shoes were my Red Ball Jets. I'm glad I could take you down memory lane. I love going there myself!

      Delete
  3. Oooh Woolworths, I used to love going there! Especially the 'pix and mix' counter and the toys! Oh and then later when in my teens, it was the music section of course!
    This is a cute little tiny doll though, I have seen similar ones in the UK too.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn;t have a Woolworth's around where we shopped when I was a kid. We did have a store that was literally called '5 and 10'.

      Delete
  4. We had a mall that still had a Woolworths. I used to love going there. There was another dime store over in Kansas at either Red Bridge or Blue Ridge mall. It was more than a dime and the two malls were actually strip type malls. lol

    I love this little doll. Our dime stores were more expensive but they had unique items I usually didn't find anywhere else. They re-did the bigger mall when I was around 10 and it was not the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to a '5 and 10' when I was a kid, but it wasn't like the Dollar Tree. Things weren't 5 or 10.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.