Friday, July 26, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #206: Hard Plastic Brunette

  Today we're going back into the past again for this cute girl.


I know nothing about this girl because she has no markings,but I just love her.


I got her at a garage sale. The same one where I saw this compo baby, and where I bought the baby the following year.


She belonged to an elderly doll collector who was thinning out her collection.


I thought at first that she was compo,because of the cracks in her face and on her arms.




This doll is hard plastic though. Does hard plastic crack like that? 


It  looks like somebody has painted the arms too.



Her blush and lips have been painted and haven't been redone very well. .She also still needs an eyebrow
 

 She does have her two little teeth though.
 

I'm pretty sure this is her original wig too.


She has lots of curls, and a number of bobby pins in her hair.
 

She resembles a Shirley Temple doll,but this doll would have been no earlier than the late 1940's. That's when plastics came into popular use for dolls, after the development of plastics during World War II.


If it weren't for her blue eyes and her brown hair,she would really look like Shirley though.


She does have very blue eyes.


Her eyes are sleep eyes,and she has real hair lashes that have had some wear over time.



Her legs are stuck in a sideways position.


This seems to be because she is strung too tightly.


She's 16  inches tall. She'd be slightly taller if her legs were straight.
Her pretty dress is home made. Her shoes and tights are modern.Her tulle slip doesn't have any closure on it,so it keeps drooping.


I'm wondering about removing the paint on her arms. Does anybody know anything about that? Could it possibly be original? Did they paint hard plastic dolls? I'm also considering touching up her eyebrows,lips,and cheeks.


That's the doll for today. See you again tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know about painting, but I do know for a fact that hard plastic can craze in a manner similar to compo, though hard plastic is much less likely to produce a creepy doll like my large compo babies. My evidence is my hard plastic Saucy Walker, who has cracks on her arms just like your doll does. LOL, I thought my poor Saucy was the only one who cracked like that! Your doll is adorable, definitely worth touching up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. I wish I knew how to fix those cracks, or at least stop them from spreading.

      Delete
  2. She is a cutie. I am glad you are considering restoring her.

    You may want to be in touch with the Doll Doctor Association to see if it can answer your questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she's cute and she would benefit from being restored :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love her hair. I like the dark color it is and all the curls.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.