Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #211:Seminole Dress Me Doll

  Well, all the kittens have been rehomed except little George.
 

His last sibling,Fred, (Ivy named them after the Weasley twins because they are both gingers.),left for his new home on Sunday. George has had to resort to annoying his Uncles. Jimmy is very good about it and even plays with George,after originally fleeing from him after a brief smell. Joey is still fleeing. And step-uncle Mow is hissing less at him all the time. (Still doing it though.)
  I had something else planned for today, but pouring rain changed my plans.I was also away most of the day and all evening because Emma treated Ken and I to a concert tonight.We went with Emma and her friend Erin to see ELO and Dhani Harrison. Dhani is the son of former Beatle George Harrison that I mentioned in my post on the Jim Henson exhibit a couple of days ago. It was a good show. Dhani and ELO were both very good. Dhani came on with ELO at one point to sing George's part in the Traveling Wilbury's song, "Handle Me With Care".
  So, since I was so busy,we're looking at a doll I already had photographed. She's this lady.


She's a Dress Me type doll,which has been customized in the style of the traditional costume of the Native American Seminole women of Florida.


You may have seen my post on another Seminole doll I have. If not, you can see her HERE.


This doll is about 8 inches tall.


She has sleep eyes. Her arms move, but not her legs, which is pretty common for Dress Me dolls like this one.


Her outfit is two parts. There is a skirt,and a poncho-like top.


She also has little real leather moccasins.


She['s wearing a bead necklace and hoop earrings.
 

Her hair is long and tied back.
 

That's the doll for today. See you again tomorrow,when, hopefully, it will not rain and I can photograph the other dolls I wanted to do!


8 comments:

  1. Oooo, you've been to see the great Electric Light Orchestra! I'm jealous! I love the doll too, of course; it isn't every day that a doll is dressed as a Seminole. Do you have any idea how old she is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really.I'm guessing she was bought as a naked Dress Me doll and was made into a Seminole lady with the intention of selling her as a souvenir.whether by an individual,or a local Florida business. They made the Dress Me dolls for decades,and I think you can even still get much more cheaply made versions of the same dolls in some craft stores,so it's impossible to know when she was made.

      Delete
  2. I recognise these types of dolls because I did a 'restoration' on some for a friend of mine a couple of years back. The ones I had here were the same face sculpt and the same shoes! Only the outfits were different.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. They made these dolls for decades,as nude dolls to dress,or as dressed dolls,and they never changed.

      Delete
  3. Just a belated note to mention how happy I am for you, that you don't have cancer.

    So what was the deal with these Dress Me dolls? What did they come with originally, and what did the owner do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were called Dress me dolls because they were sold naked,for the buyer to dress. The same type of dolls were also sold as dressed dolls way back when. We had several when I was a kid. One year my sister and I both got Valentines candy with dolls like this attached to the top of the candy boxes,dressed in red satin dresses. I think you can still buy the nude dolls at some craft stores. You can see one of my very old second hand Dress Me dolls here: http://planetofthedolls.blogspot.com/2014/11/doll-day-291-hard-plastic-dress-me-doll.html or click 'dress me dolls' in the sidebar.

      Delete
  4. What a pretty doll. Her outfit is lovely.

    I was a big fan of the Dave Clark Five.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry if you feel left out Dorothy! For what it's worth,I like the Dave Clark Five too. I really like their movie,"Having a Wild Weekend". It wasn't what you'd expect from the typical junk box musical of the time.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.