Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #128: Flatsy

  I'm not feeling very well today. I think I'm going to have to make a trip to the doctor. I'm so tired of feeling bad and being sick!
  Today's doll is a couple of little girls.


They're a pair of Flatsy dolls.



There were 12 dolls in the line.


The blonde one is Taylor.


The brunette one has me confused. Is she Jia or Lily? Neither is dressed like the doll I have,but they're the only ones with black hair.


Lily has two ponytails, so mine might be Jia.

Some of you, who are old, like I am,may remember Flatsy dolls from your childhood. I have a pink haired one.



Those Flatsy dolls were made from 1969 to 1973 by Ideal. But these dolls are fairly recent. (At least, to old people like me.) They were a brief remake of Flatsy,from 2008. 


They were made by Schylling,under license from Kaywood and Kidzart, neither of whom I ever heard of,before or since.
 

As you can see, they really are 'flat'.
 




But they have raised facial features and details in their hands.
 


Like the original Flatsy dolls, they are rubber, with a wire armature inside that makes them bendy and posable,
 

Their clothes are removable, but as far as I know there weren't any extra clothes sold to go with them. Their feet are flat (Sideways flat),so regular doll shoes won't fit them either.



The original Flatsy doll came in several sizes,(Fashion Flatsy was a tall,thin adult type doll. Baby Flatsy was a smaller version of the girls like these. Mini Flatsy was even smaller.),but the most common ones were similar in size to these girls.I think these Flatsys are slightly smaller than the originals. These girls stand 5 and a half inches tall.


Each doll comes with a couple of barrettes and a ribbon for her hair.



They also come with a comb that says 'Flatsy' on it.


So the main feature of these dolls seems to be hair play. The original dolls came in a plastic frame,(My mom stole mine to frame a black velvet paint-by-numbers I did.),and had an accessory that fit their theme. My doll, Cookie, was dressed as a chef and came with a flat plastic stove.Others had a flat bed, or a flat doll carriage,etc. For the Schylling dolls there was a Slumber Party set that included two dolls,sleeping bags and pillows,a pizza box,a popcorn box, and a checkerboard.
  That's all for today. Check back tomorrow for another doll.

6 comments:

  1. I hope you are feeling a little better.
    I don't know these dolls. Does that mean I am really really old (laugh)?
    They are cute though. They make me think of "fat" paper dolls with hair (chuckle).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny,because when i was doing a little research for the post I saw something that described them as being like paper dolls with hair!

      Delete
  2. Get well soon.

    These dolls look very cute. Funny concept.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved paper dolls! I got Betsy McCall from the magazine. I also cut pictures out of my Mother's Spiegel catalogue.
    Of course, there were actual paper dolls. I had those also. I kind of remember having Doris Day.
    Then there were the paper dolls with clothes made of vinyl, or something, that would stick to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're feeling better now, you really have gone through the mill lately.
    I have seen one of these dolls before, I'm sure of it, but have no idea when or where. They also remind me of paper dolls but made of rubber and not quite as flat as the cardboard ones!
    I was a big fan of paper dolls and usually made my own as well as all their clothes, they were really the only dolls that I enjoyed in my youth!! :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I played with paper dolls, but they always aggravated me to death! The clothes never stayed on! One of the things i read while doing my research compared them to paper dolls with hair,so I guess you're right on the spot.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.