Saturday, May 11, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #131: Garden Gal

Today's doll is this cute girl.


She's Willow.


She's a Garden Gal doll.


Garden Gal dolls were made by Kenner/General Mills.(Yes, General Mills,the cereal people.)


They were available from 1972 to 1973.


The dolls are 7" tall.


The theme of garden Gal dolls was that they were gardeners,and came with real seeds the child could plant and grow.


Willow's package said, 'Help her plant, water, and grow real flowers.'

'Complete with zinnia flower seeds, 2 flower pots,2 peat discs and 1 watering can'.
Her original outfit consisted of a pink shirt with ruffled neck,and a pair of pink and orange paid pants with suspenders. I don't have the shirt, but I do have the pants.
 
Her white shoes are painted on.




Her right hand is shaped to hold her watering can, (which I also don't have.)



Her red hair is cut short and flips under,with a flip inward at each side of her face.




There were two other dolls in the series,a brunette named Meadow, and a blonde named Sky.There was also a Garden Gal Greenhouse Playset with marigold,zinnia,and bachelors buttons seeds, a lawn chair, gardening tools,extra dress,6 flower pots,a watering can,a plastic mat to serve as the garden,(with printed brick for the greenhouse floor and printed bushes), and blonde doll in faux denim overalls. The doll that came with the greenhouse doesn't seem to have been given a name.
  Willow is such a pretty doll.

 

She has a simply painted face,but she really has a glowing little face.



  That's today's doll. Now for the latest on the lady who yelled at me. I sent her a message on Flickr messages, which I showed you yesterday. She sent me another comment in response. First,let me remind you what I said to her in my Flickr message:
 "I have added a link to your Flickr account in the blog post on my Baitz doll. I think the information and identification on your page will help people interested in Baitz dolls.
  I obtain my information for my posts from many sources. I don't consider that I used your 'description' by stating the region my doll was based on. That information came from seeing the doll you have that looks like mine,but that's like saying if I had a Chatty Cathy doll and didn't know what it was, and found a picture of one where someone said it was Chatty Cathy,then identified my doll as a Chatty Cathy, that I was stealing their description. That''s just repeating information,which hopefully we can all share for everyone's benefit.
  I would probably have directed people to your account on Flickr, but, as you haven't been active for about 6 years, I thought it was dormant.
                     Tammy"
 What she basically said was,(and I'm not using word for word quote here because the comments aren't copy and pastable unless they are posted, and I'm not posting her comment because it's in response to a Flickr message and not a previous comment/answer.):
 She can share. She learned to do that as a kid.She worked hard on her research and put it on her Flickr and Instagram accounts. Her Flickr page is not dormant because she still gets notices and views and followers(as she pointed out, like me.) She said "I would just appreciate you not taking content without crediting me. It would be the polite thing to do, especially as you took my exact words. Whether I am 'dormant' or not I should be credited. That whole part about how Baitz doll are made and that they represent German speaking countries, as well as a few others and storybook characters are my exact words." She goes on to say that even though I put a link to her page it still sounds like I'm describing my particular doll with her words. She says she doesn't understand my 'whole analogy about Chatty Cathy'.
  Ok. Here's the link to my post: http://planetofthedolls.blogspot.com/2019/04/doll-day-2019-95-baitz-whistler.html
Here's a link to one of her pages with some of that information I used: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elisabethsbaitzdolls/16485800246/in/dateposted/
  Tell me if you think I used her 'exact words'. I specifically try not to use other people's words or direct quotes, even when I use information I learned from them. I put it in my own words,(For Heaven's sake,I don't even list the countries in the same order!),but how many ways are there to say a doll is based on a region of Germany, or the dolls clothes are based on these places? I spotted the pins in my doll to verify what she said about the pins, but I didn't say it the way she said it at all. I showed the pins, and if it's a fact that the clothes are put on with pins,is she the only one who can say it? The doll I have does have felt hands and a compo face. She does have wires in her arms for posing. Her Flickr page said the legs do too,but mine doesn't seem to, so I didn't say that. I saw some of the storybook character dolls online,which verified what she said. How many ways are there to describe that without saying 'storybook'? 'Fairytale' is a different thing to me. 'Children's literature' makes me think of long children's novels,like Heidi or Alice in Wonderland. A  'storybook' is a short, old, children's story,like Little Red Riding Hood. How can you say the regions there were dolls made to represent without naming them? Can I not repeat that information just because she said it too? As far as the dolls being made in Austria, and representing Germanic countries,I knew that without her. How can I describe the doll I have without saying those things? Is it, or is it not,the same as anybody researching a doll they have, and finding a site that tells them what they needed to know, saying,'Ok. Here's what my doll is.' (As in my 'Chatty Cathy analogy.') As I  said to Ken last night, all information is obtained somewhere. Where did she get hers? She got it somewhere else. Ken pointed out today that she doesn't credit anybody with her research results. And hers wasn't the only place I drew from. The company did go out of business in 1999. I saw that online. Can I not say it without crediting her because she said it too? I ALWAYS include the size of the doll, what it's made out of, who it's made by,and what the clothes are made out of. So I was going to talk about that stuff anyway. A lot of that stuff I could see for myself. (Felt hands,wired arms,compo face,etc.)
  I know it seems that I'm freaking out here,but I'm pretty sensitive about things like this. I don't like to be yelled at, even in type. It upsets me that somebody I don't even know is angry with me. But I don't think I did anything wrong.(It upsets me ESPECIALLY when I don't think I did anything wrong.) I don't like to be unfair to people,or cheat. Why does anybody put information online if they don't want people to find it useful? I put all the info I can on about the dolls I'm posting on and I hope it helps people to identify a doll they may have,or find one for themselves if they like what they see. I know several of you have commented already and so far everyone has been on my side. Maybe you guys are just biased! But how many ways are there to reel off the same information? I didn't use her 'exact words'.
  I wavered about following her page because she hasn't posted for 6 years and there isn't any point in following if nothing new is going to be added. You can check the page for something you're looking for,but there's no point in following. I did think it was no longer in operation because she hasn't added to it for 6 years. I probably meant to link to her page so people could find information, and I forgot. (That post was done when I was pretty sick. I had a fever on and off for days and felt terrible,but I was determined not to miss a day,when I had committed to doing this.)
  Should I bother trying to explain with another 'Chatty Cathy analogy' type story again? Or should I just forget about it? I'm torn.





  An early Happy mother's Day to all the mom's out there. I'll be enjoying the day with Emma. Ivy will probably call from college. There will be a post tomorrow at some point though. I'm preparing it early. See you then.

6 comments:

  1. I love this little doll. She is gorgous.

    I can see how she can think that you got a lot of information from her. But a lot of things can be seen with your own eyes. I think that you should not give her another answer. It can escalate, and discussing with her seems to be going nowhere. Now that you have given her name and linked to her Flickr, there is little more to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that you did anything wrong. Clearly you have tried to "fix" any misunderstanding that she had.
    I don't think attempting to explain things again will be beneficial to you as she doesn't seem to want to understand.
    I was in public relations for a while and I had to handle these kinds of things. If you want to send me an email, I will share some suggestions with you.
    I am sorry that you are experiencing this. You are a fair person and you take into consideration the thoughts and feelings of others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute little doll (my favorite size) wit a lovely promotional idea. I was busy getting married in 1972, but I would have loved her if I were aware of her. That is so cute how she can hold the flowers.

    It's too bad you had that experience with the person from Flickr. Most doll people that I've met are truly kind and loving, but unfortunately some just aren't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very cute little doll :)

    As for this silly person on Flickr, I wouldn't bother to respond to her any more and just try to forget the whole stupid episode...she obviously has nothing better to do than whine at you. I don't think it's worth wasting your time over, it doesn't look like this person 'gets it'!
    Big hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support. So far everyone has been on my side. I haven't answered her again, but I always feel I need to sort things out.

      Delete
  5. I have one similar. She needs a lot of TLC. I would like to find her a new home

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.