Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #142: Alice Through the Looking Glass

  Thanks to those who have entered the Blogaversary competition. It occured to me that I forgot to mention that if you are entering the competition, and include your answer with a regular comment, that I won't be able to post your comment until after the competition is over. Blogger doesn't allow comments to be edited. They have to be posted all or nothing. So, in order to not give away the answer,I'll wait to publish those comments until the competition is over.
  Today's doll is an unusual lady.


She's Alice.


This particular Alice is by Jakks Pacific. There was another one in the same movie costume that was sold at the Disney Store as part of the Through the Looking Glass Film Collection. That one was slightly more elaborate.

She's jointed at the neck,shoulders, elbows,and hips. Her knees are hard and don't bend. Her head can turn,and tilt side to side.
She's based on the character Alice Kingsleigh,from the 2016 movie "Through the Looking Glass". That Alice is supposedly based on the 'Alice' from the books "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass". There's not much resemblance to the book or the book character though.


  I collect Alice books,dolls, and other things,but  not this Alice. I saw the first Tim Burton Alice movie, and didn't care much for it. The second one looked pretty neat, but even farther from the real Alice. I never even watched that one. I am really picky about my Alices. I like a traditional Alice. She has to be a child, she has to be English,she has to be set in the original time period,and preferrably she should be a crabby,not especially pretty girl. (My favourite Alice illustrator is the original,after Lewis Carroll that is. Sir John  Tenniel drew Alice with a stern,somewhat grouchy face.) This brings me to one of my pet peeves,which I've talked about before. I hate it when movies use the name of an old series,or character,and then are nothing like the original. The 2008 "Get Smart" movie was actually pretty good. But don't call it "Get Smart", because it isn't. Same for the Uma Thurman/Ralph Fiennes 'Avengers" movie,except I didn't like that one at all. Some of these things can be good, but why can't they be their own thing,instead of naming themselves after something good that came before? If they're going to be different,why can't they just be different and get on with it?
  So why did I buy this doll? I did think she was pretty interesting looking,and I found this one cheap at a junk store. I like her clothes,and she's wearing her complete original outfit. (Except her boots,which is a shame, because they were really cool green boots.)




The outfit is fairly movie accurate.


  This Alice was played in the movie by Mia Wasikowska,but the doll looks a little more like Tilda Swinton to me.
  That's the doll for today. Join us again tomorrow for another doll, and don't forget to enter the Blogaversary competition.

9 comments:

  1. The face mold of these Jacks Pacific dolls Alice dolls is interesting, but I’ve never been able to warm up to it. I have the Alice from Tim Burton’s 1st Alice in Wonderland movie. Her dress is blue with some printed on details and is not nearly as detailed as the outfit on your doll. I do like the more elaborate outfit on your Alice. Too bad you don’t have the boots. I do like the boots that came with my doll.

    Because I was having such a hard time with her face, I ended up removing the outfit and putting it on a different doll who looked a bit more like Alice to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What doll did you put it on?

      Delete
    2. Oh it was just a doll I had lying around, because my daughter liked her dress but not her face. I think she’s a 90’s Superstar facemold Barbie with really pretty blond hair. I think she may have been a Holiday Barbie. In my mind she looks a bit like what I think Alice might have looked like when she grew up.

      Delete
  2. What an interesting face. I love her hair.

    I agree with you about the 1960s TV show to 2000ish movie debacles. Here is my don't like list of the conversions: Rocky & Bullwinkle, Dennis The Menace, Mission Impossible (I will never forgive Tom Cruise for villainizing Mr. Phelps.)

    Loved the TV series, hated the movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie or Any of the Mission Impossible movies. I loved that first Dennis the Menace though. (The one with Walter Matthau.) I loved both R&B and Mission Impossible,so there could never be remakes in my opinion. (I didn't even ever warm to Lynda Day George and Leonard Nimoy! But then, I could never get used to Dick Smothers having a mustache either...) Another show I loved and have never watched the movie remake of is The Wild Wild West. You can't top the originals! We just watched the 'new' Ghostbusters,and it was awful. The cast was probably the best they could have chosen,but the writing was terrible.

      Delete
  3. I do not understand. Do you mean that movies based on the two Alice books should *not* be named after those two books? I love the two movies, and think that they do good representations of the books, with many elements from them. But I understand the view that Alice should have been a younger girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this doll. She has an intriguing look. But I agree that she looks more like Tilda Swinton, though she looks a bit like Mia too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting face and great replication of the outfit from the film. I like her!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like her outfit. It's not Alicey at all, ut I can enjoy it as itself.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.