Sunday, May 12, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #132: Shirley Temple Look Alike

  Happy Mother's Day! Today's doll is this familiar (but not familiar) face.
.

She's obviously a Shirley Temple look alike,because she's not made by Ideal.


She looks to be from the 50's, but Ideal was the official licensee of Shirley Temple toys in the 50's.


If she were Ideal she'd be marked Ideal and ST on her back and the back of her head. This doll is only marked 175...C? 0? and  42 or A2. 


When I got her in some auction stuff she had these tags hanging around her neck.

The tag on the left seems to be the tag that was on her when her previous owner bought her,and the tag on the right is one the owner out on her to keep track of her collection. What does it say above the words 'Shirley Temple'? Does the '55' mean she was made in 1955?
The Ideal Shirley dolls from the 50's also had open mouth molds with 'real' teeth. This doll has an open mouth, but her teeth are molded and painted, not plastic added to the vinyl doll. 

 

She's 17 inches tall.


She's made of a soft vinyl.


She has sleep eyes,which are blue,instead of brown, like the real Shirley had.


Her hair is really thin. With it done in these curls, which don't look to be her original set, she has a lot of bald spots. What can I say though? It's a much better job than I could have done!
That's today's doll. See you again tomorrow for another.

13 comments:

  1. I think it says "Goodwill" on the owner's tag--maybe where she bought her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Teach, you must by clairvoyant. Our next doll club program (UFDC chapter) is on Shirley Temple lookalikes! I will print out this posting and take it along with me to see if the member presenting has any information on this doll.
    I loved to see Shirley Temple dance! What a cutie she was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well gee Dorothy,couldn't you have told me this before I did the post?! (I guess you're not psychic like I am!) Seriously, thanks so much! Perfect timing! If she knows,I'll update the post. Do I 'credit' you or her? I posted the doll's picture on a doll IDing Facebook page and someone said she might be an Eegee doll,but she didn't know the name,if that helps any.
      I always wanted to tap dance like Shirley Temple. When Ivy was little she was obsessed with Shirley,so we wrote to her. She signed a couple of things for us. Sory of that and Ivy's Shirley obsession on these two posts: http://planetofthedolls.blogspot.com/2017/11/doll-day-2017-321shirley-temple-by-ideal.html AND http://planetofthedolls.blogspot.com/search/label/Shirley%20Temple%20dies

      Delete
  3. She's a sweet looking doll, I always liked the look of shirley Temple dolls, but I never bought one. I do have a Shirley Temple paper doll book somewhere though....just not entirely sure where!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivy has several Shirley paper doll books. She loved Shirley when she was little.She has one Shirley paper doll that is about 2 feet tall.

      Delete
  4. Hey, Teach, well I think you stumped the folks at our doll club meeting today (laugh). No one I asked could identify this doll. The presenter today had a few unidentified Shirleys herself. She said that many companies made look alike dolls.
    I am going to send the link for this posting to our doll club president to see if she can identify this doll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow,she's really a mystery! I know there were a zillion Shirley lookalikes, but you would think one this good would show up somewhere. Hopefully your president will have the answer. Thanks Dorothy.

      Delete
  5. The person from doll club who made the presentation yesterday sent me a photo of some of her mystery Shirley Temple dolls. I can forward it to you if you like.

    I sent her a link to your posting. She read it and emailed me back. She isn't able to identify your doll but she has some information for you. I can cut and paste it put it won't make sense without the photo. Let me know what works best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you post a photo in the comments? If you want to send me your email address(I won't publish it),I can send you mine and then you can email the photo to me. Thanks Dorothy.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. I don't think I can cut and paste a photo in the comments. I think it can just be words.

    I will put my email address below and you can retrieve it and then just delete this comment so it won't be published. I think that will work.
    SEGresearcher1@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found a 1950’s vinyl Shirley Temple doll at my Goodwill for $2! She has a few greenish spots on her face, but other than that she’s in really good condition. She has her original dress, shoes, socks, scarf, and hair bow. She also has a pin that says Shirley Temple and she’s holding a little vinyl purse with her name on it. Her hair is in good shape and has ringlets and even a hair net covering the back of her hair! I’m so excited to have found this doll. This is my first Shirley Temple doll.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.