Monday, July 24, 2023

Doll-A-Day2023 #197 :Casey Flatsy

Today's doll is Casey Flatsy. Sorry about the blurry picture. Stay tuned. The rest are okay. 



  I also have to apologize for Casey's appearance. he looked much better than this a few short months ago. He got a bit stompled in the rush of the firefighters. He was a bit mildewy and dirty when I found him the other week. He got a going over with the baby toothbrush and soapy water, but it didn't work miracles.
Casey was part of the Flatsy doll line, made by Ideal.

Sorry for mygrubby fingers. I was digging through a bag of Fuzzy's moldy books and saving what I could, when it suddenly got very dark and was about to rain. I had to grab Casey and Ken took the pictures with my phone.

Flatsy dolls were made between 1969 and 1973, and there were even baby Flatsy dolls, (mini's),and tall, more realistic faced Flatsy dolls,(fashion Flatsy dolls).Casey was made in 1973. His body copyright is 1969, but this particular doll came out in 1973.

The gimmick with Flatsy dolls was that they were...well, flat.

He's not exactly 'the great profile'.

They were also bendy.



He would have originally had a red shirt, a blue and white checked neckerchief, and black shoes. Their clothes and shoes were removeable. 




Casey has obviously lost everything but his pants. I have the hat, but who knows where that is now. These are his original overalls, but they had red patch pockets on the knees. You can see the glue where his used to be.



The little buckles on his overall straps can really be adjusted, or undone.




Flatsy dolls came in a plastic frame, which contained a background for them, and a flat hard plastic accessory. Casey's was, logically, a train. (Like Casey Jones, the famous engineer of the song.)



Apparently he also came in a small frame, without an accessory.

Or maybe he's a she? The package assumes all Flatsy dolls are female: She lives in her locket/frame. This may have been a smaller version of Casey too, since it suggests you can wear him/her.

  I ended up with Casey in the last few years, but I also have a Flatsy from my childhood, Cookie, which I will show you at some point. I still have Cookie's accessory, a stove, and my Flatsy frame, but when I was a kid my mom threw away the background so she could use the frame to hang a wonderful paint-by-numbers on black velvet that I did of a covered bridge scene. I suppose I should have been flattered that she wanted to hang my so called art work, but instead I was mad that she threw away my carefully kept Flatsy background!

    Flatsy dolls came in at #58 on Time magazines list of the All-Time 100 Greatest Toys.

Tomorrow's another doll. See you then!

4 comments:

  1. Flatsies, Flatsies, they're flat and that's that! LOL, these are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting concept for a doll. He's kind of a "fat" paper doll. I love the frame idea. I used to take photos of my dolls with backdrops. That was fun but there was so much work to hauling out the backdrops and putting them back that I haven't done any of that kind of photography for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butt unlike paper dolls, his clothes stay on! I like a setting to look real and in scale. I take forever setting up backgrounds, so between that and the lighting, I prefer to take my pictures outside.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.