Thursday, July 6, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #179: Temu Haul and an Articulated Doll

   Well, I did it again. I ordered some stuff from Temu. The weird thing is, I ended up getting paid to buy it! I ordered it, and a few days later I got an email that said my order may have been lost, so they were refunding my money. It also said that if my order did happen to turn up, that I could keep it, and the money. A day or so after that I got an email saying my order was on it's way, but they were sending me $5 because it was late! So I ended up getting paid $5 for ordering from Temu! So they are showing real care and responsibility for orders. I just hope their generosity doesn't drive them out of business!

  The whole haul only cost about $18 anyway, and the shipping was free. I also have to say that these pictures were taken with Ken's camera, which he has set weirdly or something. I apologize for some of the pictures being bright enough to burn your retinas out, and others being absolutely dim or out of focus.

 So, here's my haul. I got two 1/12 scale door handles. They came as left or right handles, and were sold in singles. I was thinking French doors, so I got both.


 They came with a tiny key. It really does fit in the keyhole, but it doesn't stay in when you let go. I hoped it would. You know, sometimes doors like that have the key left in, so you can lock the door when it's closed, and unlock it to open it, for doors that are left open a lot.


Keeping with the 1/12 scale theme, and doors, I got some tiny hinges. That's so I can make some French doors for those handles, and attach them to my house.


  I also got a sword letter opener... because, sword. It makes a great 1/6 scale sword. 


It looks a little Lord of the Rings Elves-y.


Next is a pad of little art prints. It also has a few print pages. 


They're mostly Alphonse Mucha... 








...but a few pages look like they aren't.

Plus there's a print page, as I said.


 Most of them would make good 1/12 scale framed art or posters, and 1/6 scale art. There's even a little blank Mucha menu.


  Along similar lines, I got these tiny maps.


Look at these two pictures. See what I mean about one extreme or the other?

I told Ken that these would have been great when the kids' dolls were going on trips and bringing back souvenirs.

  They're only a couple of inches wide, and they would look great in a 1/12 scale dollhouse.

Next is this little organizer. Again, sorry about the picture. It was the only one with Tammy for size comparison that even partially came out.


I think it could be used  for 1/12 or 1/6, depending on what you want to do with it.


  Before we get to the doll I ordered, here is probably my favourite thing from this order. Mini gummi bears! 


Are these not the cutest things ever?! 


They as a bag of 12.




  And finally, here's the doll I bought. She was really cheap. like, a couple of dollars. So I decided to go ahead and order her, and see what the quality is like. The doll came in several hair colours, but no red head. So, instead of the colour I was born with, I chose the colour I always wanted: black.


She came with her head off for some reason. I had to put it on myself. I took a little cramming to get it past the neck rim so it would stay on, but it wasn't hard.


 She has a pretty face.


And a very pronounced clavicle.

She can only turn her head. It can't tilt at all.

Her hair is not a terrible quality. I've seen much worse. 


It's quite long.

It's fairly silky and fully rooted on most of her head.

The rooting pattern is a bit wide spaced in places. But if you don't try to do a hair style on her, and let it hang as it is, it doesn't show.

Pulled to the side.

It is the kind of hair that looks a little greasy though.


But what about that articulation, eh?

Well, she's got a lot of it. Other than her neck, she has joints at her shoulders, upper arms, elbows, wrists. waist. hips. and knees.




Her joints are similar to Made to Move Barbie's. 


I meant to bring Made to Move from the house yesterday so we could compare. I forgot.

No ankle joints, unfortunately. She has those weirdly pointy legs/feet.


That waist joint doesn't really allow her to turn/twist very much.

This is it.

 She has a swivel joint at her hips, so she can sit in quite a few poses.

Sorry about the cat hairs. Cowboy pretty much lives in this room now.

She can't cross her legs though.


She has a lot more range in her arms. This is helped by the swiveling ball joint in her shoulders, and the turning joint in her upper arms, and the swiveling joints in her elbows. She can salute.



She can cover her mouth.



She can almost cross her arms.

But not quite.

She can even pat her head and rub her belly at the same time.


She looks graceful.


I was having a much easier time posing her right arm than her left. The left one just didn't seem to have the same flexibility. That's when I noticed that her upper arm joint was loose on the left arm. (You can see that above,)  It went back in place, but then, in checking it out, I found that her arm comes apart like a Monster High doll's.


I'm not sure if it is supposed to, but it does. It goes back just as easily though.

  So I like the stuff I got. The 'sword' looks a little cheap, but the other stuff is really nice. I love those gummi bears! The doll is worth the $2 something I paid for her, I'm not sure how much she would hold up to a child's play, but she's at least better quality than the fashion dolls that are sometimes available at Dollar Tree. And she is okay for an adult posing a doll for display or photos. 

  So that's it for today. See you tomorrow for some vintage goodness.

3 comments:

  1. Always fun with miniatures. I have that doll and gummy bears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's actually a really cute doll! I like her face.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.