Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #198: Choo Choo Charlie Baby Beans

   We're continuing our engineer theme from yesterday with today's doll. In doing a bit of Googling for this post I found that there is a horror movie called "Choo Choo Charles". I have no idea what it's about, but I'm sure it's way too creepy for me, unlike today's doll, which has nothing to do with that movie. He's Choo Choo Charlie Baby Beans.


  Unfortunately this guy was in a cardboard box in the Room of Water. He, and some of the other dolls in the box apparently got wet, and have mildewed a bit. He's not too bad. The worst mildew is on his hat and his tag, as you'll see below.
Baby Beans dolls were produced between 1970 and 1984. They were very popular, (They must have been to be produced for 14 years!), and there were a gazillion different dolls. This guy, from 1971,  represents "Choo Choo Charlie", the mascot for Good and Plenty candy.



In the Good and Plenty commercials, Choo Choo Charlie was a train engineer who used 'Good and Plenty candy to make his train run'. He shook a box of Good and Plenty candy to make a 'choo choo' noise, accompanied by the Good and Plenty jingle. You can watch one of those commercials HERE. Let me tell you, Good and Plenty, a licorice flavoured candy shaped like white or pink pill capsules, was never a favourite of mine. There were indeed 'plenty' of candies in the box, but they weren't good, and they certainly weren't 'plenty good'. I do remember eating some as a kid, but I was much more inclined toward Rolos and strawberry Kits. (I got in trouble for pulling a filling out with those more than once! But they were delicious and only a penny for a pack of five. On vacation once I bought a whole box full for $1.My sister's boyfriend, who became her husband, made fun of me for years for buying a whole box. Hey, I made them last).
  Choo Choo Charlie has the usual cute little Baby Beans face, and mischievous green eyes, and red hair!



But his hat isn't removable and the only hair he actually has is those two little tufts in the front.


He's just a stuffed bag of 'beans' with a vinyl head and hands, but he sure has some personality!


  Tomorrow we aren't dealing with engineers, but there is a connection to yesterday's doll. See you then.

3 comments:

  1. Well he survived. He seems to be happy about that. I didn't know him. I wouldn't have liked the horror movie either. I missed yesterday's posting so I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's thrilled about something, for sure.

      Delete
  2. Ewww, I don't like Good and Plenty either, but Charlie sure is cute! I didn't see him on Ghost of the Doll's entry about Baby Beans, so I had no idea he existed. And he has freckles!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.