Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #192: Original 1960's Trolls

   The last couple of days we've been looking at trolls. Both were old, original trolls, but they were really big trolls, not the little dolls everyone is most familiar with. So today we're looking at four of those little trolls.  

 
 I got the three clothed dolls at a flea market---oh my goodness! TEN YEARS AGO! You may have seen the post where I got them, for a dollar for the whole bag. I stuck them away and they have been in a box all this time. I never did anything with them, including clean them up. So, sorry for the state of them, especially the green haired lady.
  First we'll take a look at the lady in the pjs. At least, I think they're pjs. They're flannel, anyway.


She has the typical troll grin and some very blushy cheeks.


She has natural fiber hair. I suppose it's wool.


Like a lot of trolls, she has that weird lump on the back of her head. I'm not sure if maybe it's where they made some of them hang on something?


As I was taking the pictures I noticed she was wearing a necklace under her PJ top. I took a better look at it...


I think it's the necklace from Barbie's Enchanted Evening!


  Now on to the poor green haired lady. Her face is a mess, as David Bowie used to say.


I'm not sure if the white eyebrows and lips are original, or the work of her previous owner. The same goes for her felt dress and matching hair band.

I think she has wool hair too. Her 'necklace' is pearls stitched to her dress.

  Like the pajama girl, she has no markings.


Next is a blonde girl.


She looks a lot like the pajama girl.


But she actually has markings. She's a Uneeda Wishnik troll.
  

She has soft wool hair, and a felt dress.


  The tips of her blonde hair are black.
 

  The last kid is a ginger.


This one also has the lump on the back of it's head.


No markings either.

Yes, my fingernails needed cleaned. I had been digging through a bag of sooty stuff, so they were a bit blackened underneath, even though I had washed my hands..

These three all have pretty much the exact same face, but that happens with clone dolls, especially back in the 60's, when sometimes it seems copy cat dolls were made using the actual molds from the dolls they were copying. The Wishnik troll has the same face, but different fingers.

  My sister and I had several trolls like these when we were kids. (I still have them.) In fact, we had one with orangy hair just the colour of the one above. Her name is Ginger. There was also a troll with silky black hair, one with more coarse blonde hair, a tiny blonde one that was a pencil topper, and a strange rubber one with his arms molded to his sides, and holes from air bubbles all over him. I don't remember him ever having hair either, although there is a hole in his head for it. He is very unattractive, and his name is Cary Grant. (Irony, I guess.) Then there was my blue haired troll. I loved that troll, but my sister had a friend at school who wanted to trade trolls with me. My sister hounded me until I consented. My sister is six years older than I am, and I was probably about four or five years old at the time. I couldn't take the pressure. So I traded, and now for all eternity I own an ugly troll with white and purple striped, straight acrylic hair, instead of a soft blue cloud rising to the Heavens. I never warmed to that troll. You may have read my post on the blue haired troll my kids got me one year to replace my childhood one. 

  Tomorrow we'll conclude the troll posts for the week with some interesting little fellows. See you then.

7 comments:

  1. I used to play with my Trolls in the bathtub. Maybe give Rebel Rebel a bath and see if her face clears up? LOL, oh, these do bring back memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she definitely needs to feel the fine tip of the baby toothbrush!

      Delete
  2. So more troll-ology today (laugh). I wonder what that thing is on the back of the head also. I wonder if it was supposed to be like a cowlick but in the back? Hmmm. The last one looks like he has tattoos on the back of his left arm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a 90s troll with royal blue hair and a pink felt dress with a felt heart (like your blonde troll), and his name is Tammy. I also have a tiny troll with pink hair that came in a tiny ball that came out of a little machine similar to a chewing gum machine (his name is Mini). And I had three tall trolls in different poses on giant skateboards (at least one of them had a name starting with T, and the last was Buster).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well maybe I'm wrong about the era of this troll, but I didn't think they did any with felt clothes in the 90's, especially this heavy wool felt. I did wonder about the Wishnik marking on the feet though. I also would have said earlier due to the real woo hair. By the 90's it was an artificial fiber. Nice name by the way! :) As for the tiny troll, check out the post for Day 193.

      Delete
    2. My Tammy has nylon hair, I think. But he is definitely bought in Norway sometime between 1990 and 1994, and he has a felt dress. Other than "Lykketroll," I have some Norwegian troll figures with black hair, brown plastic eyes and olive green moulded clothes (overalls and skirts).

      Delete
    3. I do remember now that my kids bought me a troll in the 90's or early 2000's that has a felt dress. The felt is different though. Old felt is actually wool and much thicker. Maybe in Europe they still used real wool felt in the 90's. We got cheap and felt used on dolls and sold for crafts is acrylic now.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.