Thursday, July 20, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #193: Tiny Trolls

   Today's dolls are eensy.


These guys were available all over in bubble gum machines when I was a kid. I took these pictures the other day when Ken brought a box of my childhood toys down from the landing outside the room that burned. Everything was okay, thank goodness, because the box contained some of my very special toys, and a patchwork pillow cover and 'yoyo' table mat that my mom's grandmother made, as well as a toy purse and pair of scissors that belonged to my mom when she was a kid, in the late 20's and early 30's.

The dog on the box lid was made for me by my sister, from the skin of a mechanical dog that stopped working. Mom would have thrown the dog away, but my sister rescued the outer dog. His name is Sugar Brown Larry. The tag you may have seen before. It came off my childhood Raggedy Ann doll. The pink purse was a toy fo Mom's, and her grandma made the 'yoyo' thing and patchwork pillow cover under that. The box is actually called my 'Monkees box', because I kept my Monkees bubble cards and stuff in that box.  

So here are the trolls.


There's also this one.


you can see the slot in his head where he originally had some hair glued in.

Not quite sure what the indentation in his back was for. It could have been for a pin that allowed him to be worn on your clothes.


The pink one has a glued in hunk of straight white acrylic hair.

This guy better apply some sun screen!

The second one has glued in frizzy black hair, but it's also not a natural fiber.

Did you ever have something stored that you got out again and it had turned weird on you? I have no idea why this guy has spots. He has a less traditional troll look.

The silver guy had a hunk of hair glued to the top of his head, not in a sunken spot in his head like the other two. He does have the more traditional troll face though.

I saw one like this online, and it had glued in googly eyes. It's possible thsi one did, and maybe the others too. 

I forgot to take a picture of his back, but it made it into the picture below that I took to show my sister and see if she remembered any of this stuff. The silver troll can be seen just above the camel's back. He has a large indentation in his back where there was a pin glued in so he could be worn as a pin.


  And that is it for the trolls! Tomorrow we'll see something completely different!

5 comments:

  1. I had no idea that there were mini trolls. I guess they truly came in every size. I am glad that your box of childhood dolls was alright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was all of my childhood stuff that was on the landing, other than the rubber truck that melted. Still looking for Ken's rubber swan though.

      Delete
  2. My Mini troll from a bubblegum machine is even smaller, and came on a cord to be a necklace. He has a similar node to yours, but has smiling (closed) eyes and is showing his tongue (or does he have a large under lip?). I have thrifted (from two different lots) some that are larger than him, but has rounder ears than yours and "potato noses." Both of those have yellow nylon hair (Mini has pink). One has a sun/whole moon on his tummy, while the other has a crecent moon. Another thifted troll is a hard plastic troll with lemon yellow nylon hair and a sour mouth (looks like he are a lemon). He is moulded inside a brown barrel and is on a key ring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These all sound really interesting, especially the tiny one! I wish I could see them.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.