Saturday, July 8, 2023

Doll-a-Day 2023 #181: Barbie and Ken Cut Outs Paper Dolls Part 2

   I'm calling this part 2, but this is a different set entirely. The set we saw yesterday was from 1962. This set, also made by Whitman Publishing, is from 1963.


This set didn't have to be cut out. They were 'ready to punch out, no scissors necessary'. (Then why call them cut outs?!) The back cover shows a bunch of outfits that I don't seem to have in my set. So a lot are missing, and some may be from yesterday's set. So, on second thought, please do consider this a part 2!

On the other hand, I don't see these in other people's versions of this set either.

  This set seems to have gotten wet, whereas the other one didn't. There was a bit of dry mildew at the bottom of the folder. It wiped off and left very little effect, but it looks a lot worse in the pictures.
  Yesterday's theme was Barbie's bedroom. The theme to this set is Joe's Burgers. It's that old cliché of teenagers hanging out at the malt shop. The other set had a hamburger in it. (But looking online, this one doesn't seem to have one. Weird.) Did teens back then really hang out at places like this that much?
  What a difference a year makes. Ken has the same old crew cut, but Barbie has gone from her ponytail to a bubble cut. Once again, Barbie is in a bathing suit, but Ken gets a whole outfit. Maybe they thought it was unseemly for little girls to play with partially dressed male paper dolls. But Mattel! You made actual male dolls that had removable clothes! 

These two are lined up, and Barbie is much shorter, but look how much longer her legs are than his!

As I said yesterday, the Ken's appear to have been switched in the sets. The Ken in this set should be this one.



The inside of the folder is Joe's Burgers.

Look at those prices! And look at that mildew damage!

The plain piece of cardboard you can see at the right above, is a car. It's connected to the folder, and I'm not even sure exactly how, so I left it there. The car folds up into an actual three dimensional car, and there's a little cardboard Barbie to ride in it.

There was originally also a little Ken to drive it, but I don't have him...unless he's inside the car somewhere. 

These two outfits really are from this set...I think.


Barbie is posed differently from the last set. This doll can't wear the other one's clothes. But the Kens  are posed exactly the same, and the clothes are interchangeable. These two outfits should have been in yesterday's set.


At least they have both Barbie and Ken cooking. I used to work with a kid, back in the 80's, who refused to work in the aisle with the food prep stuff because, "This is women's stuff." Excuse me? You EAT, don't you? When Ken, (Mine, not the doll!), was a kid, he had an Action Man, the English equivalent of G.I. Joe. But his Action Man didn't fight. He cooked. Action Man made good use of sister Gloria's Sindy kitchen. Food is still Ken's hobby.

That counter gut at Joe's is really enjoying the giant fashion show. 

This next picture looks like Invisable Ken is terrorizing the countryside, (or, at least, Joe's Burgers), without his pants.


Ken can exercise, take a bath, and go to bed. The robe may have gone to the other set.


  I'm not sure if that striped shirt is Ken's or Barbie's. It looks  a bit like a woman's shirt, but the arms look to be in the Ken position, and it's big. (And no 'boob darts'.) In any case, it goes in the other set! 


More forma clothes. These teenagers must have been rich kids. Well, we know Barbie had money of her own, because she had a job as a 'teenage fashion model'.


I swear some of these clothes didn't go in either set!


That diamond print dress definitely was n the other set.


The outfit on the right below is 'Busy Gal', an actual Barbie fashion. The other two are not real Barbie fashions.

 

  And there's the inevitable bridal gown, even though Mattel says Barbie has never really been married. She just pretends a lot. Thinking about it, the Barbie bridal outfits have trickled to a stop the last few years. I guess kids don't dream of getting married any more. As for the upcoming wedding in our family, as I told you recently, Emma's getting married in September. Ivy is making her dress. My dress, deemed 'ugly' be Ivy is out of fashion and doesn't fit anybody anyway, so bits are being scavenged from it. Emma is using the satin covered buttons, and she is using my veil.


Okay, more things that should have been in the other set. The typewriter, and who knows what else.


  That's it for today. See you tomorrow for some more substantial dolls, (i.e., not paper.)
  

4 comments:

  1. I’m loving these paper dolls. I love the look of Barbie in the old illustrations. I think she’s prettier than the actual doll. Though I have grown to appreciate the look of original Barbie more in the past few years. I loved playing with paper dolls when I was a kid. I actually had a lot more paper dolls than I did regular dolls. I don’t think I had any Barbie ones though.

    - Korglady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I played with paper dolls, but I found them very frustrating. I still have all our old paper dolls. Some day I'll do a post on them. I'm not sure where we got these, as they were in our selling things. Weirdly, there was an envelope that had been mailed to us that had a bunch of extra pieces. Not weird in itself, but they had the same name, in the same child's handwriting, on the back, as the first set I posted. I don't know why we would have bought them by mail. Maybe I just put the smaller stuff in a random envelope so they wouldn't get lost. Anyway, these need a new home, if you're interested.

      Delete
  2. I collect vintage Barbie family dolls('60s-'80s). How do you think the popularity/hype of the movie will effect the collecting community, as well as dealers etc? Do you think demand for certain vintage dolls will rise, and more people will be interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people of Emma's generation, (around 30.), and younger will be drawn to the movie and might become reinterested in the Barbies of their childhoods. I think it might spur some of them to get into the vintage ones as well. How long their interest lasts is another thing.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.