Friday, April 21, 2023

Doll-A-Day 104: Handmade Cloth Dolls by G. Willoughby

   First of all, I have to apologize to those of you who follow the blog's Facebook page. I have been very amiss in keeping the Facebook page up to date with the daily posts, and you may be getting a lot of notifications today, as I try to catch up and get back on schedule. So, if you follow the Facebook page, sorry! And if you don't follow it, why not?! There is extra stuff on there. When I spot something  interesting about dolls, or miniatures, I post it there. So please do follow.

  Yesterday we saw some of the stuff I saw at the doll show on Saturday. Today we're looking at a couple of other dolls I saw there. One of them is pretty interesting. Let's start by looking at both of them.


  These dolls were both made by someone named G. Willoughby, from Ludlow Kentucky.


The doll in black was made to resemble the lady in this photo.


I think she comes pretty close!


Although I'm not sure the lady in the photo would approve of such a fancy lace  collar as the doll version is wearing! Her dress is made of really old silk. The doll was made in 1971, (or, at least, was exhibited that year), but the silk seems to be much older. It's starting to fall apart, as very old silk does.

  The doll won third place in a National Federation of Doll Clubs region 12 convention in 1971. That's her claim to fame. I think she might be slightly over priced for a third place winner in a local contest though, as the seller wanted $100 for the two dolls and the photo.

  Tomorrow we'll look at a doll who is more familiar, but not...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks in advance for your comments.