Thursday, April 20, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #103: Babs, Kathy, and the Doll Show!

   My sister and I went to the doll show on Saturday. I was pretty good about buying stuff. I did make one purchase of a large item, but I got it for a really good price, and I had a really good reason. We'll get to that another day.

  First of all, let me show you some of the goodies I saw at the show, and then we'll get to today's featured dolls.  

  Not too long ago I featured Young Sweethearts Michael, and showed you some of the things made to go with the doll. I didn't even notice that at the show I took a picture of a mint, unopened Young Sweethearts Wishing Well Park! I was distracted by Elvis and Pricilla. And I don't even like Elvis.


I'd never seen this Monster High set. It's pretty neat.
  


I looked longingly at the boxed European Todd clothes and boxed Skipper outfits. Oh well. I'd rather have them out of the box anyway, so I could enjoy them.



There was even a boxed Ricky outfit! You don't see Ricky clothes very often anyway.


  I was really tempted by this red haired Skipper. She was so pretty, and had that powdery complexion that usually only the test market, or 'sample' dolls do. (She wasn't one though.) She was only $20 too! But I was good. I looked at her two or three times, but I left without her.


Some nice dolls here. I have the Frank Sinatra. You may have seen my post on him HERE.


There were some Fisher Price toys, even though almost everything at this show is Fashion Dolls. My sister bought a Fisher Price hen pull toy.


  It was hard to get decent pictures sometimes, because there was really bright lighting hanging from a very dark ceiling.


  There were a lot of vintage Barbie and friends dolls, more than you usually see these days. 



  These girls were one of a kinds.


There were some newer Blythes.


This doll was a one of a kind too. I think she was by Angie Gill. She's customized from a Vitamin C doll.



Here's another one of a kind doll outfit for sale. I like it.


  I had never seen Evangeline Ghastly in person.


  This was a bright, colourful bunch of Tammy and family dolls. The one in red is Glamour Misty on Posing Tammy's clothes.


  A cute couple of Shirley Temples and a Sasha, along with some Ginnys.


Hey Raging Moon! Here's Mumpy Terri Lee again!


  Is that Ginger, on the left? the one on the right is Tressy, in her box, with her own hair pins.


My autofocus didn't know what to focus on half the time!


  There were some pretty dolls in this group. I like the Cher on the left, and the one in green, third from right. 



And here's the Mary Make-up you saw the other day.


She looks very suspicious.


  This was a nice group of Mod Era Barbie and friends. I love Stacey, (in the stripe bathing suit), but she's become so expensive that I can't afford to collect her any more. You can see my Stacey's HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, and my reproduction Stacey HERE.


Ellowyne Wilde dolls.


The African American version of Ideal's Crissy, and a Madame Alexander Leslie. 


  This Tressy was so pretty I looked at er several times. But I have a Tressy with big, dark hair. You may have seen her HERE.


  I saw this Yoshiki doll in Barbie Bazaar years ago, but I'd never seen one in person. The doll is by Takara, and based on a real person, a member of a Japanese band from the 90's, (when this doll was made), called X-Japan.


Integrity dolls.


  I am old, so I had never heard of J Balvin. Of course, my sister is older than I am, and she has. This doll was being sold by a couple of collectors who said they had tried to transition from Barbies to the very jointed and very expensive dolls like this one. They said they just couldn't do it. I thought that was kind of funny. 



My sister and I went together to buy three jointed bodies and three heads and some extras from them. We got a really good deal. I was going to switch my Paul McCartney head onto the more expensive jointed body, but I'm not sure it's as posable as the one he's on now. I put him away after the smoke smell had aired out of him, but I guess I'm going to have to pull him back out and try the new body, versus the old one.


They were also selling this doll, which I thought was really pretty. She's a convention doll, from the Roma Fashion Doll Convention.




  I posted a Brenda Starr doll recently. This one by Tonner is more recent.


  Apparently Poppy Parker loves Mystery Date.


  I liked this Gigi Hadid Tommy Hilfiger doll.


  Some more Shirleys, Madame Alexanders, Tonners,etc.


  I told you my auto focus was being difficult.


  I had only ever seen the little fairy Kishlets before. Isn't this one cute?



  I would love to have one f these Mary Englebreit dolls


  A bigger Kish doll with the Kishlet.
 

  This is the same dealer. She had some beautiful dolls.


These are Madame Alexanders. The one on the right is especially pretty.


  Here she is again.

Love the girl in plaid too, and of course the Betsy McCalls on the right.

  Same dealer, different crowd. And on the left we see today's featured dolls.

Emma bought herself that house when she was younger. It's an Effanbee Wee Patsy house from 1996, that contains two dolls and extra outfits, a wooden coat rack, and wooden rocking chair, and some toys, and a paper doll book, complete with paper house. It was really cool, but the Effanbee Wee Patsy dolls are notorious for falling to pieces. Their stringing didn't last very long.

Okay. Here's today first doll. She is a Madame Alexander Babs doll, from 1950. She has the Margaret face.


 She was available in a couple of sizes. This one is the larger one, at 20 inches tall.

Her dress would have originally had marabou feathers around the shoulders and hem.

She's wearing her ice skates.


  Patterns were sold for the Babs dolls so you could make extra clothes for her. And on to our next doll. You can see her on the left. Isn't she cute? She's a Madame Alexander too. She has the Maggi face. She's Kathy Skater.




  She's 15 inches tall.

She even has her little basket of flowers on the chain hanging from her pants.

And she has skates too, only hers are roller skates, not ice skates.



  And on to other dolls. Here is Tina Turner.



Tina is prettier than that.


I remember when these dolls came out.


  I hadn't heard of the Wild Hearts Crew either. The doll is pretty.

tty



  Judy Littlechap looks huge hanging out with this Barbie crowd.


This weird ball jointed doll was half monstery thing.


The dealer said she didn't bother to unwrap him all the way because, "...they can see what he is, and you either love him or hate him."


  More problems with the ceiling lights.



The top row has some really cute dolls.


  I think the lady on the left was wax.



  This pretty doll was a convention exclusive from the 2020 GAW convention, A Knight to Remember.



  There were several knights and knight outfit sets from the convention around the  show too.


And last of all today, here's Mary Makeup again. Tomorrow we'll see some more dolls from the show.
   

  See you again tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. LOL, good ol' Mumpy Terri Lee! I'm not sure what is worse, Mumpy Terri Lee or her rival, Jowly Mary Jane! As for the Wild Hearts Club, I talked about them on my blog when they were new. They were nice, and sadly they were not around long. There were five of them all told, and the one you got a picture of was a cryptozoologist.

    I saw Baby Come Back in one of your pictures. She's in my slush pile of reviews, but that's a long...way...off...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I forgot to mention Baby Come Back. I must have missed Wild Hearts Club on your blog. You like Terri Lee, mumps and all though, don't you? Those two didn't look as bad as some.

      Delete
  2. I bought one Wild Hearts Club doll to check it out, but the bodies didn't match up well with Barbie bodies. When I saw a WHC doll in an ad for Tuesday Morning, I knew the brand wasn't going over well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.