Monday, April 10, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #93: Big Russian Girl

   The other day we saw a doll I got at my ex-favourite Goodwill. Today we're looking at one I didn't buy. Not because I didn't like her, but because she was more than I wanted to spend, and also, because she was big, and I can't get any more big dolls right now. Here she is.


Pretty, isn't she? Look at her face. It's very colourful.


  From the look of the plastic she's made of, and those big plastic eyelashes, I would say she's a Russian doll. I have a few Russian dolls, and they are made of this somewhat cheap looking plastic, and have the huge plastic eyelashes. (You can see two of them, HERE and HERE.) They also have very glowy complexions, and cute faces, and that's what makes them so appealing. 

  From additional research I would say this doll may be a doll made at the Leningrushka factory in Leningrad, possibly in the 1970's. She looks very much like she could be related to this doll, made in Leningrushka in the 70's. If you want to read about the history of the factory, and see more of their dolls, there is a good page for that HERE.

  I looked for some markings on her, and all I could find was a strange thing on the bottom of her shoe.

I can't tell what it is.

This girl has very blushy cheeks and sleep eyes.



  She was about 20 inches tall.



She had a nice outfit with orange shoes. You can see them a little better here. Ken was taking the pictures for me and not being very patient about it!


She was wearing thigh high stockings and undies.



Her shirt was a separate piece from her skirt. She also had a cool hat.




  While I was looking for markings on her I noticed that her clothes are sewn to each other, (The vest was sewn to the shirt, etc.), making it impossible to look at her back for marks. I couldn't see any marks, but I did find that she has a 'mama box' or 'crier' in her back!

This was as high as I could raise her shirt because of her clothing being sewn together.

   That's weird. She's not meant to be a baby. But I couldn't find anything anywhere on her that would have activated any other talking mechanism. What if she speaks Russian?! That would be interesting. She doesn't make any sound at all though, even when turned upside down, and back, which is what usually activates a crier.

She was in such perfect condition. Besides her and the doll I showed you yesterday, there were several other souvenir dolls, and dolls representing countries. Somebody must have collected them, and either died, or donated their collection.

  So, wish I could have gotten her, but the pictures will have to do. **************Okay. Confession. I wrote this that night, and Saturday I went back and I bought her. Only now she only has one shoe! There was a guy working in the aisle, stocking, and I said that the doll had both shoes a few days ago, and now she only has one. Had he happened to see it anywhere? He said, "I probably threw it away. If something's in the floor, I guarantee you it got thrown away." (Kind of like my mom always did!) I thought, "Well, then you're an idiot! Why wouldn't you try to find where it goes?! Take a glance around, at least." His advice was stupid too: Get some orange paint! Yeah. Okay. You're hilarious.

  See you tomorrow for another doll.

4 comments:

  1. I’m so glad you went back and got this adorable girl. She’s beautiful and I would have purchased her too. She’s so much nicer than most touristy international dolls (of which I have many). I don’t have any this size though. She’s awesome!!
    - Korglady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I think if I hadn't gone back for her, she would have been one of those 'dolls that got away', especially since I have the pictures to make me remember how great she was!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, paint that sock orange. Sounds like a capital idea! LOL, she's so pretty, though, Cinderella shoes and all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked all over the store, hoping the kid who must have taken it off had left it somewhere. That led me to the toy department, (My doll was in the gift and porcelain doll department.), where I found another doll I'll be posting about soon.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.