Saturday, April 15, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #98: Flowerkins Black Eyed Suzie

   I'm embarrassed to say that the dealer told me who this doll is and I forgot! And I can't find her online at all.

UPDATE: She's from a series called Flowerkins. They all were named after flowers and had hats shaped like upturned, (downturned?), flowers. This particular doll represented the black eyed Susan flower, and her name is Black Eyed Suzie. She would have originally had an orange felt flower hat and orange felt shoes with cardboard soles. I swear the dealer gave me some other name for her, because this is nothing like the vague memory I have of the type of name. They were wring I guess, because I have seen pictures of the whole series of six of these dolls together, and with their hang tags and hats and shoes. So there you are. More updates throughout the post, below.

Her sleeves had gathers abive the wrist. You can still see the stitches, but they aren't gathered any more.

  I got her at a doll show recently for only $5. I thought she was so cute that I couldn't resist.


Not all of the dolls in the series had the same head sculpt, but at least three of them had this one.

She's 16 inches tall.



She's marked Eegee on her head, and Goldberger on her body. That's because they were the same company.



  She was made in 1963. That makes this little girl 60 years old!



She has the standard five points of articulation: neck, shoulders, and hips.  This allows her to sit down.




She has a cute, goofy smile, and a little double chin.





  She has big brown sleep eyes and brush lashes.

And funny high dimples and a watermelon smile.

There's that double chin again.


  I don't know if any of her clothes are original. I think the dress might be.

The orange skirt is a separate piece.

But the tights are short and sewn to her underwear because they can't be pulled up all the way.

  She also has cute little kid hands.



  That's the doll for today. See you again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I had this doll! Thank you for posting;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.