Thursday, April 6, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #89: Vogue Baby Dear One?

   I'm not positive about the name of today's doll, so maybe someone can help me. Leave a comment if you have any information. as far as I can find out, this doll is called Baby Dear One.



This big baby measures about 25 inches tall.


  She's made by Vogue, and marked 1965. 

As you can see, she has sculpted hair under her rooted hair.

I'm pretty sure that's a copyright on the sculpt or the name...or something, because research shows that she was made after 1972, because she has a crier box. The dolls were produced starting in 1965, (and brought back between 1967 and 1980.), but the crier box was added in 1972. What's confusing though, is that the tag on her outfit says 'Cutest One'...I think.

Looks more like '8est one' or 'Butest One'.

  And I am pretty sure this is her original outfit, although I haven't been able to find a Vogue doll online wearing this outfit. It's a dress and matching bloomers.


   The dress has a big collar, with lace and a bow. 


She has brown sleep eyes with brush lashes.



I'm not sure if they were always this way, but her eyelids are more tan than her face.

She has a scratch on her nose, but I think she's in pretty good shape for her age.

  This doll was rescued from a box brought from the very wet room. She had started to grow mildew on her body, but she was still wet, so I was able to wash her, (in a pillow case), in the washing machine, and it's all gone.  I dried her in the machine too, which resulted in some very crazy hair. I wasn't sure it was rescue-able. but I re-wet her hair and conditioned and combed it, and it turned out fine. Not as curly as it was I think, but soft and comb-able, and human looking again!


 


 Unfortunately, her body got wet again, and even though I dried her in front of a fan, she dried slowly enough that her body got a faint brown water circle. 


  Her trip through the wash also split the seam in her crotch, so I sewed that up.


  Her eyes could probably stand to be wiped out again. The one on her right especially looks a little grubby.



 She has chubby baby toes.



And her hands are very expressive in a baby way.

She has a few black spots that I can't seem to clean off. I should have tried the Magic Eraser. Emma swears by it.


The right hand is doing the 'and let me mention one more thing...'.



  She is a chubby babe. Her body is stuffed, and shaped with a foam form.


  Her head, arms, and legs are vinyl, but that body makes her very squashy and huggable.


  This baby has been packed off to storage, but I'm not keeping her. She was another of those auction extras, in a box of stuff I bought for something else. So if anybody wants her, let me know. I'm glad I was able to rescue her before she was ruined, because I would hate that. But she's not a doll that interests me. I feel compelled to rescue anything rescuable. It may stem from being raised by parents who grew up during the depression. You didn't waste anything. Although my mom was worse about that than my dad, and she threw away my toys all the time. Mom repaired things and made do. Dad's family had a bit more money during the depression because his dad drew a pension. They even had a hired girl to help out around the house. So Dad was always the 'throw that out and get a new one' kind of person. But he didn't throw my stuff out. I went to live with Dad when I was 12, and he threw one thing of mine out: my Roadrunner lunch box. I didn't use it any more by the time he threw it out, but I wanted to keep it. I threw such a fit that he never threw anything of mine out ever again!  


  Anyway, if anyone has fallen in love with this girl and must have her, she is $25 plus shipping. Leave a comment with your contact information if you're interested. I'll see you again tomorrow with a doll that isn't for sale!

2 comments:

  1. Does the crier box still work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember! I have put her it storage, so I'm not sure exactly where she is right now. If you want to send your email address, I won't publish it, but I'll keep it until I have a chance to find her.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.