Sunday, April 16, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #99: Timey Tell

   Remember a few days ago when I told you that when I was looking for that other shoe, for the Russian doll, at Goodwill, and in the process found a doll I bought to post? Well it was this girl.



She's Timey Tell. She's a cute doll, and if I had to guess, I would say she was sculpted by Martha Armstrong Hand,
 

Timey Tell was made by Mattel. 



The copyright on her back says '1964', but the look of her dress, and the fact that she's pictured in a catalog with other dolls from 1967, would make me think that the 1964 date is just a body mold date or something. I also see that she was available in the very early 70's, as she was pictured in ads with dolls like Playin Jane, and Crumpet, from 1971. The Strong National Museum of Play says she was 1970, so we'll go with that. She was probably made for a couple of years.



She talks, and has a pull string in her back and voice holes, (What do you call that?), in her chest.



 

But what does she talk about, and why is she called Timey Tell? Well, she has a gimmick. 

Her box looks more 1970's too.


On her wrist she has a 'magic' watch. 



No way is she going to lose that watch. It's riveted to her arm!


Like a dead parrot to a perch.



By setting the time on her watch, she is activated to tell you the time, and suggest an activity for that time. For example, at 4:00, she suggests a tea party. She came with a tea set for two to help with that.



She came with over 30 accessories. In fact, she came with an accessory 'for every hour'. That seems pretty amazing.  But when you take into consideration that she only has 12 sayings, and they figure a kid's not going to be up all night, she really only needs an accessory for each number on the clock. Some of her other accessories included a toothbrush and fake tube of toothpaste, a comb, a brush, a ring toss game, a hanger, and a dust pan. One of her activities seems to have been a nap, so I guess she didn't need an accessory for that, although I would prefer to have a blanket if I'm going to nap. She also came with a 'play watch' for the child who owned her. These days it could be a real watch. Of course, these days, nobody wears a watch any more.
  Timey's sayings included things like, "It's 6:00! Time for dinner.", and "12:00! Time to eat lunch."




  As you can see this timey has her original dress and shoes, but is missing her socks.


You can see what I mean about that dress. It definitely looks more late 60's or early 70's than 1964.



The suns have clock faces.


She has big blue eyes and one of those very Martha Armstrong Hand faces.




She has a big head of puffy blonde hair.




  She is variously described as being 17 or 17 1/2 inches tall.


She has the standard 5 points of articulation: neck, shoulders, and hips.


So she can sit down.


    As I said, I found her in the Goodwill toy department while trying to find Russian girl's shoe. I didn't want her for me, but she was so complete, in good shape, (except for she doesn't talk any more.), and she was cheap, and I thought someone might find her interesting enough for me to get  her for a post. So if anybody wants to take her off my hands for $5 and shipping, feel free. I keep being afraid I'm going to run out of dolls to post while I'm here. Things have been coming and going, so I've had stuff, but I am still about a week behind in my posts. One of these days I'd like to get caught up.

  And that's today's doll. See you again tomorrow for another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks in advance for your comments.