Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #331: Dawn

   First of all, I have to apologize for not posting for the last several days. I had set the posts to go on before I left for my sister's house, but they didn't go on! So I have posted the two I had ready. I was supposed to come back Sunday, and I had a post planned, but due to circumstances beyond our control, I didn't get back until yesterday. Then Ken and I had stuff to do, and when we got back, I just wanted to relax with him a while before we fell asleep. So now I am 15 days behind for the year, and there are only 19 days left in the year! So it's going to be post, post, post, for the rest of the year! 

  A little note, some of you may remember my Mrs. Beasley post, where I talked about how much I always wanted a Mrs. Beasley, and how I found the perfect Beasley at a yard sale for $3, glasses and all. Well, I have been rummaging in our bedroom lately, and it looks like my Beasley is probably pretty blackened from the smoke. I will clean her when we get back in, but I'm not sure if her little face will ever be peachy again, or the dots on her clothes be white. As for her glasses, they were on the vanity, just inside the door. I checked them the other day, and they appear to have shrunken a bit from the heat! They didn't exactly melt, but one leg is now way shorter that the other one. On the plus side, the broken spot appears to have fused back together! Someone left a comment and an email address on the post a couple of weeks ago, saying they wanted a Beasley for their daughter, who just turned 55. I have a spare Beasley I was going to sell. She is perfect too, all her clothes and her glasses as well. I had just happened to come across her in a tub at the storage right before I got the comment, so I knew where she was. Her glasses had been in the dollhouse for  'safekeeping', but the dollhouse got jostled and most of the contents were removed and packed up. The whole dollhouse was moved. But, amazingly, the glasses were still in there, and still perfect. So I offered the Beasley to the person. I haven't heard from them though. I told Ken  that if they don't want her, I have decided to keep her, since mine may never be the same.

  We're going to start off the post-a-pa-looza with a sequel to the last post. In that post we saw Dawn's boyfriend Gary. So what's more fitting to see next, than Dawn herself?


  Dawn was made by Topper Toys from 1970 to 1973.


  Dawn was a mini fashion doll at 6 1/2 inches, with tiny rooted eyelashes and a twist waist. She was so popular during her three year run, that one year she outsold Barbie.
   The dress she's wearing here is called Gold Glow. It's from 1970. Originally it came with yellow shoes, a yellow hanger, and a dress stand. 


  When I tried to button it, with the thread loop and the tiny pearl bead, the bead popped off! I decided to not even try the other one, and I was lucky enough to find the bead that popped off. Before I really did lose it, I popped the bead into the ziplock bag with the spare boot, purses, hanger, and Gary's one shoe.


I also have Dawn's Shocker Frocker dress, from 1970.


It originally came with a fancy telephone, a dress stand and pink shoes.



  Dawn's not in the best shape. She's missing some hair.


Her body isn't as bad as some Dawn's. Most of them have melted places where the harder plastic body has reacted with the softer rubber legs. This one has a bad melt place on her thigh. She doesn't have a twist waist.


  I have a few Dawn purses and a boot and a hanger, as I said.


The Dawn hangers came in various colours to match the outfits they came with, and they have Dawn's name on them.



I thought this dress was homemade, but the other day I saw the same dress online somewhere. Of course, now I can't find it again.


  This poor Dawn has a twist waist, but she also has even more problems than the other doll. 


She has a better face, but more of a haircut.


As you can see, she has some bad leg problems. That's why it's good they have long dresses.


Twisty waist.


  All of this stuff, and Gary, are ready to go, if anybody wants to pay postage and rehabilitate them.

That's today's doll, but don't be surprised if there's another doll or two...or more, posted today!

7 comments:

  1. Poor Dawn. Well, at least she is still around. I can envision how she looked new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much the same really, only without the nasty legs. Their hair never looked that great!

      Delete
  2. How much would you be asking for your Dawn dolls? I used to have her when I was a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dawn dolls are in pretty rough shape too. Longlocks came secondhand, and some little kid had gnawed on her feet so I had to use super glue to stabilize one of her feet. I love these, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why did so many Dawn dolls get their ankles chewed on? That was definitely a thing.

      Delete
  4. I posted very early AM I’m in a very bad cell reception area, not sure if it went thru. Would be interested in your Dawn dolls if still available very much appreciated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still here! Send me your email address, which I won't publish, and we'll get it taken care of.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.