Thursday, December 28, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #353: Red Haired Hillbilly

   Okay. I have a weakness for these vintage hillbilly dolls. I have a couple from when I was a kid. My parents were from Kentucky, and every summer we spent two weeks in Kentucky, visiting relatives. Dolls like this guy were sold at souvenir shops there. I used some of my vacation money to buy my hillbillies. You can see them, and another I bought s a grown up, HERE.

  Today's guy is about 11 or 12 inches tall. 


  He's pretty typical of this type of doll. He has a scraggly beard, cliche' hillbilly overalls, and bare feet.


And of course, a floppy hat. This one is a faux straw. Another thing that was common is the nylon string in his hat. I don't know if these guys have the string to hang them by once you've bought them, or because they were hung on a rack in the store.
  

He has crossed straps on the back of his overalls..

He has a very serene look on his face.


He appears to have originally been holding something. I'm guessing, from seeing so many of these dolls, that it was a 'moonshine' jug. That might account for his serene look.
 

He has stitched in toes on his bare feet.




  You can see another pair of my hillbilly dolls that are different from this guy, HERE.
That's the doll for, well, not the day. Let's say, for number 353. There will be three other posts today, at least. We're steamrollering through posts to catch up with the days for the end of the year.

5 comments:

  1. Very funny doll. Reminds me of a knee hugger my father bought for one of my siblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe he was meant to hold his legs and not a moonshine jug. but their legs are usually dangly, whereas this guy's are wired. He's very similar to some knee huggers I've seen though.

      Delete
    2. Yes. The knee hugger has longer legs and joined arms

      Delete
  2. Why are his eyes closed? I have never seen hillbilly dolls before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might also be the effects of the moonshine! I can't believe you haven't seen any of these before. Maybe we get more things like this because of our proximity to Kentucky. You're a little further away.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.