Wednesday, December 20, 2023

The Twelve Days of Tammy World, Day Seven: More Presidential Sites Around Marion, Ohio

 .

  Tammy World has been showing you the sights around Marion, Ohio. Today she  continues with some other sites relating to President Harding. 

Tammy showed you the Harding home yesterday. Directly behind it is the Harding Presidential Library and Museum.

By the way, I got my camera working again. The battery I had just charged had already pooped out. The other two I was brought from the house after the fire, (One in my camera, which was n the landing, near the fire, and the other, which was on the landing too.),have stopped working entirely. I think the het from the fire killed them.



  And pretty much across the street from the Harding home is the family home of Mrs. Harding, the former Florence Kling. If you knew what you were looking for you might have spotted it in the picture of the Harding Home front yard I showed you yesterday.

See that tiny blue and white sign in the distance, to the right of the 'Warren G. Harding' sign? That's it.


And here it is behind Tammy World.




It's the big, cream coloured building on the left. But keep in mind the white house with the picket fence, between the flag and the traffic cone. We'll get to that.

The Kling home is now the Central Christian Church.


  It was a huge house, with a carport thingy so people could go straight into the house if it was raining, without getting wet.

The left side of the house. Carport on the right, covered walkway/arbour from the door, on the left.





The right side of the house. There's that carport again on the left, and another arbour walkway from another door, on the right.

These days it has an addition almost as big, built onto the back of it, for the church.

The addition, from the parking lot behind the house/church. Note the trees on the right. I'll get to those.

  I went to an awesome church sale there once. They also held some sort of old time days thing, where I remember watching a lady making apple butter over an open fire. It was a super hot summer day, and she was stirring the apples over that hot fire, wearing an old timey pioneer dress. I don't know how she stood it.

  The Klings planted this beautiful alley or 'allée' of trees on the street next to their house. 



  It runs along the street to the left of the house. The trees are on both sides of the street, so I suppose that at one time that whole piece of land belonged to the Klings.

This is from the direction of the Harding home end of the street.

The view of the street from the end opposite the Harding home. The Kling home is way in the distance on the left. There's a pretty little bridge with a stone wall too.


Better view of the bridge.

  A few years ago the city was going to cut down the trees to fix the sidewalks that were buckling from the tree roots. Complaints from the citizens, including me, changed the city's mind. They fixed the sidewalks without removing the trees. If they could do that in the first place, why didn't they just do it?

And just across the street from the former Kling home is the little house that served as the Hardings  guest cottage.



.
It's  a private home.

You can see the corner of the Kling property on the left.

  The consequence of living in a town where Harding lived is, every yard sale claims to have something that came from the Hardings, the Harding home, or has some relation to the Hardings. I myself own a pair of vintage sugar tongs that supposedly belonged to the Hardings. I got them, where else, at a local garage sale. They also had a supposed Harding rocking chair.

  That's it for Tammy World's tour of the Harding sites around Marion. I'm sure there are more. After all, he lived there, worked there, owned the newspaper, campaigned for president there. He was all over the place, I'm sure.

  Tomorrow we'll see what else Tammy has up her sleeve.




2 comments:

  1. Another interesting tour given by Tammy. I like that the houses are still in use and not torn down.
    I have been on the local preservation board in my town for 10 years (rotating off in 10 days) and we are often called on to help citizens prevent their houses from being demolished. I love watching Bargain Block on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy says thanks. I am glad they haven't been torn down too. Apart from being beautiful, they are part of the history of the town. I'm not familiar with Bargain Block,

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.